[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where can I learn how to read good poetry? From the basics to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
Where can I learn how to read good poetry? From the basics to advanced?
>>
>>7336028
Bump 4 interest, to be honest family, i like you all more than a friend
>>
>>7336028
>>7336032
You don't, poetry is not something you can learn to read in isolation, your reading of it will be a a refracted mirror to the entire collection of your knowledge, understanding, experiences and your idea of all art.
You don't learn to read poetry, you just learn and then you read poetry.
>>
>>7336050
You are saying that their aren't techniques to poetry? ok..
>>
>>7336050
So get cultured with & thru poetry. Seems about right, to be honest family, i like you more than a friend
>>
>>7336057
Techniques are superficial to reading poetry and really literature in general, it just gives people who can't truly connect with the works something to talk about but is ultimately not reading, merely linguistics at best.
>>
>>7336061
as reactionarily anti-intellectual as this sounds, he's right. esp. in the case of poetry, immerse yourself in poetry, and when you find some you love, or a movement or sound that excites you, you may want to read about the poem to understand why, but even that isn't necessary. there are a lot of Spanish and French poets, and modernist Brits, that believe that intellectual criticism kills poetry.
>>
>>7336059
You are a nice poster. I like you less than a friend but I still like you.
>>
>>7336028
Read the poem, try to grasp the meaning.
Then search for analysis on the internet.
After all of that, re-read the poem and try to improve your comprehension of it.
With time you'll be able to understand most of the poetry read without exterior help.
>>
I want to know how to write poetry using techniques poets do.
>>
File: westernspiderwort.png (618 KB, 720x569) Image search: [Google]
westernspiderwort.png
618 KB, 720x569
http://pastebin.com/cBZknniE
>>
>>7336152
Thank you!
>>
>>7336114
Pro-tip practically all great poets do not utilize conscious techniques. Stay away from the creative writing school kikes, they don't teach you how to write, they sell you the illusion of being able to write.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.