[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/blake/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: William_Blake.jpg (195 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
William_Blake.jpg
195 KB, 1024x768
Let's talk about William Blake. Was he a saint? Just how unorthodox were his religious views? What was the greatest thing he wrote?
>>
He was pretty much batshit insane.
>>
If he was alive today he would be sharing "live life love" posters on pinterest. Run of the mill satanist/individualist/free love/"i'm a feminist" guy but with schizophrenia.
>>
>>7335859
I don't know much about Blake, only that he promoted polyamory, but only with a single man and many female lovers.
>>
>>7335859
Great drawings. Like the preternatural sense a lot of his works give. Not caring of most of his views.
>>
The greatest thing he wrote was the Book of Urizen.

He was not mad because he saw things no one else did, he was totally aware that it was an insane experience to have that did not make him doubt his visions.

He was a great poet and a fascinating thinker. I think of him on a "thinker" level as Wilde in religious rhapsody.
>>
>>7336465

And note that I say "fascinating", not "sensible".
>>
>>7335859
DO YOU SEE
>>
File: tumblr_kx659kbX9D1qz86lxo1_400.jpg (23 KB, 400x200) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_kx659kbX9D1qz86lxo1_400.jpg
23 KB, 400x200
>>7335859
>What was the greatest thing he wrote?
>>
>>7335859

Undoubtedly a genius, his engravings are incredible. They would be beautiful and extraordinary even in 1950, but coming from his 18th/19th century world they are baffling.

I'm not familiar with his poetry. Thomas Merton converted to Christianity as a result of reading it, and believed Blake to have a prophet-like status.
>>
>>7336474

>My nigga

Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience completely altered my view on poetry for the better...especially this particular piece
>>
File: 1421698175713.jpg (10 KB, 239x251) Image search: [Google]
1421698175713.jpg
10 KB, 239x251
"A truth that's told with bad intent,
beats all the lies that you can invent."
>>
How do I get into his work?
I read that it represents a whole mythological world he made up, right?
Where should I start?
>>
>>7337295
with the greeks
>>
Does anyone know where to start reading Swedenborg with Blake and Kant in mind?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.