[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
total newfag here, i just have one question: From all these books,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: lit startet pack.jpg (418 KB, 747x1417) Image search: [Google]
lit startet pack.jpg
418 KB, 747x1417
total newfag here, i just have one question: From all these books, are the ones who have solid movie adaptations worth reading over the movies?

I don't mean this in your perspective, in the average person perspective, is there something more rewarding about reading the books instead of watching the movies?
>>
It's a reading starter kit--a mediocre one at that--it's purposes is to get you into reading, not film.

Maybe one would find a film better, but that would be due to poor reading ability.

For a good starter film: Seven Samurai directed by Kurosawa.
>>
>>7335569
yes: american psycho, clockwork orange.
movie were better: 1984 (John hurt version), electric sheep (blade runner)
>>
>>7335587
Clockwork Orange movie is shit. The book is galaxies better, if I may be so frank (iimbsf).
>>
>go to /lit/
>ask 'why not just watch the movie lol'

head this way: >>>/tv/
>>
>>7335587
also the Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas movie is better than the book
>>
Once you start reading, movies will turn to shit.
>>
>>7335640
did you even read it?
that movie is genius, because it managed to capture every single detail from the book right, but adds no plus to it

On the other hand, Blade Runner is ok cinematographicaly, but the deviation in the story compared to DADoES makes it shit. The film has a point completely oposing the books point
>>
>>7335668
You're obviously watching the wrong films.
>>
>>7335702
Haha O boy. Like what? Haneke is the only filmmaker I can stand.
>>
I don't think I've ever read a book and thought the movie was better. Even something like American Psycho, I loved the movie. Then I read the book and realized the movie warps the perception that the book gives off, and completely waters down pretty much everything.
>>
Fight Club
>>
>>7335727
>Haneke
Oh dear. Well, for a moment I thought you'd namedrop someone other than that second-rate pseud.
>>
>>7335735
How?
>>
>>7335764
When I said water down? The book has probably the most disgusting violence of anything you could ever read. Probably the least violent scene in the whole book is when Bateman stabs the kid, which even then the movie wouldn't be able to show without extreme controversy.

And by warp the perception, I mean Mary Harron made it seem like all of the violence and murders were in Bateman's head, when in the book there's very little evidence to suggest that. In fact there's a decent amount of evidence that he did do all of those murders. Also, undermines a lot of the major themes in the book like the self absorbed attitude of everyone, or the lack of uniqueness.
>>
Somebody make a part two with more books for me
>>
I can't stand sitting down to watch a movie. I can, however, sit and read for hours. I don't know what the difference is. I just don't like movies that much.
>>
File: zCUrh7i.jpg (855 KB, 1456x3478) Image search: [Google]
zCUrh7i.jpg
855 KB, 1456x3478
>>7336232
here you go anon
https://imgur.com/a/bXqZN
>>
>>7335761
Can you elaborate?
>>
>>7335795
AMERICAN PSYCHO SPOILERS
This, the movies ending is confusing. I watched it before I read the book and got the impression that I'd just watched a movie about a batshit insane lunatic struggling with his perception of reality and dealing with intrusive thoughts. The book is much darker, with pretty much the only crime of questionable reality being the shooting spree towards the end of the book, and it's written in 3rd person to make that apparent to the reader. The apartment being free of bodies makes much more sense in the context of the boom because of so many other instances where Bateman committed a reckless crime and gotten away with it because literally nobody gave a shit, and you get the sense that the real estate agent cleaned up the apartment of the bodies to sell and was kicking Bateman out because she was worried about not being able to sell the property in the book and that she was just kicking him out because he's a fucking kekoo in the movie.
>>
>>7337363
>kekoo
I meant (see you see kay)oo, the fact that we can't even discuss Kesey's novel without resorting to shit like this makes me go from being mildly annoyed with the word filtered to actually pissed off.
>>
>>7337039
Memes
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.