[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What did I just read?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: iu-4.jpg (53 KB, 300x429) Image search: [Google]
iu-4.jpg
53 KB, 300x429
What did I just read?
>>
>>7334529
I'm guessing its your first Pynchon novel?
>>
>>7334532
No my second. I liked TCoL49. But this was just stupid.
>>
A series of visually striking scenes that will flow better during the second readthrough
>>
>>7334537
Tackle it again a few years down the line and maybe take notes along the way. Pynchon can feel really clunky if you don't know what to expect. TCoL49 is a good start but I don't see it as enough preparation when tackling his doorstoppers, honestly.
>>
>>7334537
Or ur just a mark gb2 restaurant biz
>>
Does re-reading Pynchon ever clarify things?
>>
>>7334542
howd you get into pynchon otherwise?
>>
V. by tom pinchem
>>
>>7334569
I guess it's just a case of acquired taste. For me, I wanted to see how off the wall his works really were and (rather cockily) I thought I should tackle Gravity's Rainbow. When I finished it, I felt relieved and frustrated, but I also enjoyed many aspects of it (Thomas Pynchon has a way with abstract metaphors and playful language that can take over for the next ten pages which really interested me, as well as his ability to create such a wide range of characters). It's not for everyone, so it's okay if you didn't enjoy V., but a lot of people seem to click with Pynchon more a second time around.
>>
I'm reading it right now and I'm enjoying it, but I'm having a hard time discerning what's under the surface of the novel. It's funny as shit though, Profane hunting alligators is absolute gold.
>>
Is the TCoL49 worth reading? I have read V. and half of Gravitys Rainbow, but I didn't really care for either. Pynchon has some brilliant chapters then others seem like random bull\shit
>>
>>7334716
TCoL49 is worth reading but it's not Pynchon-lite so if you struggled to read/enjoy GR or V, you'll probably struggle with TCoL49 too. It's short but it's just as dense.
>>
There are Pynchon people and there are the rest of the world. Pynchon people are weirdos.

I love Pynchon.

I get why people don't like him.
>>
Pynchon is a great author but don't let /lit/ fool you into thinking that every single paragraph in his books is a carefully-planned work of genius.

His books have great passages but are also filled with bullshit, messing around, filler, and other writing that is the literary equivalent of doodling random designs and cowboys on your paper in math class.

Out of the Ruggles I have read I think IV>TCOL49>V
>>
>>7334529
a novel which is basically a bunch of short stories sewed with some benny stuff. i really enjoyed 2bh
>>
>>7334542
>>7334544
what would you recommend to read after L49?

>>7334762
what are some pynchon-lite?
>>
>>7335170
Pynchon-lite is Inherent Vice, Vineland, and Bleeding Edge.
>>
>>7335170
Try Inherent Vice next. If you still can't into Pynchon's style after that, don't bother with his longer works.
>>
>>7335190
>>7335194
thanks senpaitachi
>>
>>7334770
>>>9gag
>>
>>7334558
Don't worry too much, its just the meaning of life
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.