[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we have a discussion about note-taking? Do you write in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 11971208.jpg (445 KB, 1300x1300) Image search: [Google]
11971208.jpg
445 KB, 1300x1300
Can we have a discussion about note-taking?

Do you write in the margins of your books? Do you highlight? Circle words? Underline phrases? Do you dog-ear the pages of your books? Or do you prefer to leave them unblemished?

Do you take notes with pen and paper? Do you use shorthand? Or do you use a certain program on your laptop? Or maybe just jot down notes on your phone? How do you organize your notes?

Personally, I take notes obsessively. I use pic related mostly for daily to-do lists. I study history so I tend to love my books harshly, filling the pages with marginal notes and highlighter ink. For novels and fiction though I usually take notes on Google Docs or on any notebook paper and then transcribe the notes later. I also make extensive use of post-its and a cork board - I'll jot down authors or works or events or whatever to look up later. I have my own crude system of shorthand but I'd like to learn real shorthand eventually, and develop a better system for organizing my notes.

>tl;dr note-taking general
>>
I don't think I could come up with a more boring topic of discussion no matter how hard I tried

bravo
>>
I'm with you on the rough love--my books look disgusting with my tri-color note taking. I recently moved abroad and buying the books I want has become ridiculously expensive, so I've been wondering if anyone has any good suggestions on taking notes while using an e-reader?
>>
I have a series of notes on individual pages that contain all the male and female characters in the story and some background on them. I can't imagine not doing this since otherwise you can't keep track of thier fucking shit.
>>
I use my phones notebook app. I don't like it but i'm rather paranoid about keeping notebooks or journals.
>>
>>7333819
I aim to please desu
>>
>>7334353
This.

I use it for writing and for writing notes on what im reading so i can remember the plot. Didnt used to and I've now found my memory doesn't need so much jogging
>>
I love these threads. I'll check up on it in the morning
>>
>>7334353
Google keep has been serving me ok, but it has its stupidity and bugs.
Got anything better for me?
>>
>>7333816
>associating the perfectly normal practice of dogearing with vandalism on the level of circling words
A bridge too far.
>>
>>7333816
What do you have to write about while reading a novel?
>>
>>7337602
If you're reading halfway decent literature there should be no lack of thought-provoking quotes, jokes, interesting literary techniques, or rhetorical "moves" to collect for looking at later to see how they add up into a whole. Also stuff like doodles of characters, family trees etc.
>>
I took great notes in school. I can write pretty fast and neat enough to take dictation. I used to just use a regular composition book for each subject, write the date in the margin and start taking dictation as the prof speaks ... except for the useless side stories.

Tools. Black composition book. Black Bic Click pens (usually 3 identical ones in rotation)
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.