[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone know of good books about the principles of translation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: اللغة.png (15 KB, 800x385) Image search: [Google]
اللغة.png
15 KB, 800x385
Does anyone know of good books about the principles of translation to English in general or specifically for Arabic?

I'm interested in translating literature and poetry to English so if there are books or essays that have a focus on that I'd be interested.

Thanks
>>
>>7332094
bump
>>
>>7332094
I don't know. do you speak Arabic?
>>
Just learn the Arabic words for God, great, and rape. You should be all set, then.
>>
>>7333254
I study it.
>>7333258
Nice memeing.
>>
>>7334156
Why do you study Arabic? Do you plan on going to a middle eastern country?
>>
>>7334577
I have gone to the ME before. I'm studying it because I'm interested in the literature. But that doesn't matter.

One last bump to see if there are any good books on the principles of translating literature and poetry. I just want to know what makes one translation better than another.
>>
>>7335736
Le Ton Beau de Marot is a book about the philosophical and aesthetic considerations of translation, and much more besides. It isn't a manual, however. I can highly recommend it.
>>
>>7332094
I really don't think such a thing exists outside of classrooms, but godspeed anon.
>>
>>7335837
Thank you very much for this recommendation. I'll look into it.
>>7335931
Do you know what texts they use in classrooms?
>>
Do you guys know where to get more information on Arabic symbolism? I'm interested in Djinns, symbols and more beyond A Thousand and one Nights. Fiction or non-fiction, doesn't matter.
>>
Walter Benjamin thought translation is almost a sacred activity, what with the tower of Babel mythology and all.

I can't remember the name of the essay, but if you google Benjamin + translation, I guarantee you'll find something interesting, inspiring, and motivating.
>>
>>7335962
The Qur'an, obviously. Pre-islamic poetry is a good place to start as well. Look at the Mu'allaqat, Mufaddaaliyyat, Asma'iyyat, and the Kitab al-Hamasah. There's also the Kitab al-Aghani.
>>
>>7336025
I found this
http://users.clas.ufl.edu/burt/deconstructionandnewmediatheory/walterbenjamintasktranslator.pdf

Thanks!
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.