[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just started reading this. What should I expect?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: Crimeandpunishmentcover.png (435 KB, 417x640) Image search: [Google]
Crimeandpunishmentcover.png
435 KB, 417x640
I just started reading this. What should I expect?
>>
Ghastly Rigamorole
>>
You should expect to encounter the greatest friend of all time, Dmitri Razumikhin.
>>
just read the fucking book
>>
>>7330802
A lot of people telling you that Dostoevsky is either a terrible writer or that he is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
>>
wincest
>>
>>7330802
I started reading it a week ago. Expect a pretty good book.
>>
>>7330889
But hasn't Dostoevsky come before sliced bread?
>>
File: 1444534744839.gif (36 KB, 200x146) Image search: [Google]
1444534744839.gif
36 KB, 200x146
>>7330802
How many feels will I feel reading this book?
>>
>>7330802
A+ prose and intriguing glance into mental instability
>>
>I just started reading this. What should I expect?
why do people respond to these type of shit threads?
>>
>>7330802
The important question is, OP, which translation?
>>
>>7330802
one of the best books you will ever read
>>
>>7331811
>which translation
>translation

nice pleb
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEl59biItfY
>>
>>7330802

A book. a pretty good one
>>
>>7330802
The realization that you'll never be a great person that can justify your crimes
>>
>>7330953
you couldn't slice bread before him?
>>
>>7331811
I'm not reading it in english. Not russian either, obviously.
>>
>>7332851
>tfw louse
>>
>>7330802

I had the pleasure of actually reading it in a prison (as an employee), definitely contributed to the atmosphere. It's a nice story, really.
>>
>>7330802

Waifus, two glorious waifus. I never jacked off to a pictureless book until this book.
>>
>>7330802
>hey everyone I just started reading book.
-OP
>>
>>7330889
Anyone who thinks Dostoevsky is a terrible writer is a halfwit.
>>
>>7333916
I don't think nabokov thought much of him and he's definitely a fullwit
>>
>>7333947
Yeah, but Nabokov could sometimes be an overfull-wit.
>>
dostoevsky is good but please don't him too seriously it is embarrassing in 2015
>>
>>7333947
Nabokov hated Dostoevsky because he was Christian, mainly.

In an interview, he said about Pasternak: "I deeply sympathized with Pasternak's predicament in a police state; yet neither the vulgarities of the Zhivago style nor a philosophy that sought refuge in a sickly sweet brand of Christianism could ever transform that sympathy into a fellow writer's enthusiasm."

I imagine he considered Dostoevsky to suffer from the same "sickly sweet brand of Christianism".
>>
>>7334212
Yet he liked Tolstoy.
>>
>>7334215
Tolstoy was excommunicated by the Orthodox Church, and the work by Tolstoy actually informed by Christianity, such as War and Peace, Nabokov dislikes.

"War and Peace. A little too long. A rollicking historical novel written for the general reader, specifically for the young. Artistically unsatisfying. Cumbersome messages, didactic interludes, artificial coincidences. Uncritical of its historical sources."
>>
>>7334212
>Nabokov hated Dostoevsky because he was Christian, mainly.

I'm sick and tired of people derailing the threads of authors Nabokov commented on with his quotes and I'm done responding to it in hopes it'll stop, but wow, you are wrong.
>>
>>7334245
Good. Your comments are worth shit.

>>Opinion
>You are wrong.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.