[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just about to finish this book anybody read it? If so what are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: the-way-of-kings.jpg (51 KB, 420x621) Image search: [Google]
the-way-of-kings.jpg
51 KB, 420x621
Just about to finish this book anybody read it? If so what are your thoughts, tomorrow I'm starting book 2
>>
Snape kills Dumbledore.
>>
>>7330300
Oh
>>
>>7330291
I enjoyed a lot, book two is a big step up, I feel. Both books follow a similar pattern in that they're slow in building and then the endings are chock full of twists turns and revelations with implications that are resolved or will be resolved in the next book.
>>
>>7330291
Sanderson is a terrible writer.

But fuck it, it's decent fast food.

I thought Words of Radiance was much better than WoK.

Shallan is in more of the book, but she's less annoying.
Kaladin is a bit of a bitch, but comes around.

The book is insanely backloaded, basically everything important takes place in the last 1/5.
>>
>>7330333
I've noticed its so intriguing
>>7330377
Why do you say that
>>
>>7330389
What, Sanderson being a bad writer?

I mean, it's a bit obvious, isn't it? His characters are cardboard cutouts, his prose is bad, even by fantasy standards, he thrives on cliche and he allows his staunch Mormonism to fuck with his stories. His books are always about 200 pages too long.

Compare him to one of his peers, like Joe Abercrombie or Scott Lynch and his deficits are very clear.

But I need to fill 40 hours each week while I work, and the audiobook for these is well produced and long as fuck.
>>
>>7330399
Alright yeah I can see that, I do enjoy the works of Patrck Rothfuss.
>>
Hope he doesn't die
>>
I really wanted to get into Sanderson to get my epic fantasy fix while waiting for the next book of you know what.

But then I found he's an ultra Christfag Mormon and his books are basically rated PG and his books feature no violence or grey characters.
How accurate is this?
>>
>>7330291
>>7330377
>it's decent fast food.

Pretty much everything you need to know. Action, adventure, fantasy are all there but it's not outstanding.
>>
>>7331733
Very inaccurate. In the second Mistborn book the main character slaughters an entire battalion with magic. She later cuts a dude and his horse in half with a fuckhuge anime sword. About a third of Stormlight is just a protracted campaign of the main characters participating in genocide for money.

His first book Elantris has a main character who is on the side of the antagonist country, and Stormlight has a bunch of characters doing bad things for what they think are good reasons.

All his books so far do have a heavy dose of religion, but they are all religions made for the world and as far as I know aren't overtly similar to Mormonism. I don't claim to know much about Mormonism though.
>>
>>7331792
I agree with you pretty much 100%. He almost never talks about mornonism or anything related in the books.
My only real complaint is that he takes himself (bad curse words) and most of his early books had meh prose. Oh yeah, and he is close friends with some sjw types... It fucking shows at his book signings and on his podcast (writing excuses). A lot of that: "equality in gender for equality sake" and cultural appropriation nonsense
>>
>>7331733
His mormonism only hows when he never writes any sex or swear words. Otherwise he does decent fantasy. Hell, it's quite good to be completely honest. Finished the Mistborn trilogy in a couple weeks. I literally couldn't put the book down at times.

Interesting that I never got into Stormlight.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.