[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/southernlit/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5
File: oconnor-wise_blood.jpg (61 KB, 252x380) Image search: [Google]
oconnor-wise_blood.jpg
61 KB, 252x380
Discuss the likes of Faulkner, O'Connor McCarthy and Twain here.

To start us off, what does /lit/ think of Wise Blood?

Hazel Motes shows us the importance of trust/faith whilst Enoch shows us the importance of being loved.

Also why do you think Motes blinded himself?
>>
Bummp
>>
can we shorten this to /slit/ and make it an actual thing
>>
>>7330308
Setting up a separate women's lit board would be apartheid.
>>
File: midnight-garden-good-evil-2.jpg (70 KB, 474x713) Image search: [Google]
midnight-garden-good-evil-2.jpg
70 KB, 474x713
Southern Gothic is the absolute best. This may be my Georgia pride speaking, but there is just something chilling about the silence in the Spanish moss and the old Victorian houses. Our land is a very old one, many people have lived and died here.
>>
>>7330328
So?
>>
File: 41MFJ511QCL..jpg (13 KB, 234x346) Image search: [Google]
41MFJ511QCL..jpg
13 KB, 234x346
I feel the add The House of Breath (Texas) to the fray.
>>
I feel like Flannery O'Connor goes too ham with religious symbolism in Wise Blood.

Her writing is more bearable in her short stories, I guess in small doses, but in Wise Blood I found myself often laughing at how absurd it gets.
>>
File: gff.jpg (34 KB, 335x400) Image search: [Google]
gff.jpg
34 KB, 335x400
>>7329951
in short, he blinded himself because his car got trashed.
he is a man that was certain that his will alone was the key to 'salvation'. towards the end his certainty in himself becomes disillusioned. therefore the next radical yet logical step for him to take was to distrust himself as he distrusted the lord in the beginning. he blinds himself so that he may not deceive himself/ direct himself. he says that he is unclean. he can't get rid of his own history or biological imperatives. the body has become the antagonist replacing god.
>>
>>7329951
That feel when I can't tolerate southern lit because I go to a southern college and all they care about in my department is regional literature. That said, I do like Twain and Faulkner. That's about it.
>>
File: ayy.gif (24 KB, 240x200) Image search: [Google]
ayy.gif
24 KB, 240x200
>>7330372
Good post.

Faith requires a certain amount of blindness, but Motes, certain in only himself, believed faith to be only trickery (all the other preachers he encounters are frauds), and thus (in an act in the same ironic flavor of "A church without Christ") blinds himself so he cannot be tricked by faith in any form.

He then becomes a Christ-figure to save himself from himself, because he won't allow Christ to suffer for him.

Motes cannot escape faith, and ultimately becomes the figure of faith himself.
>>
>>7330332
As a Northerner, I am quite jealous of Southern charm.
>>
>>7329951
Reading Go Down, Moses now. Easy breezy but hella rewarding read if you can keep up with the genealogy of the McCaslins. "The Bear" is absolutely breathtaking; McCarthy owes everything to that story alone.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.