[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you keep a journal /lit/? I've been seriously considering it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 11
File: 61VS8CKNP2L.jpg (112 KB, 1800x1200) Image search: [Google]
61VS8CKNP2L.jpg
112 KB, 1800x1200
Do you keep a journal /lit/? I've been seriously considering it
>>
>>7329521
Yeah. Mostly write quotes I like, my thoughts on random things, ideas for stories. Also it's nice to see what you were thinking way back when.
>>
>>7329521
I also have a really nice leather bound notebook that I write in for my son. Life lessons, what's going on with me and him right now. He most likely won't ever remember anything before the age of like, 5, so I plan to give this to him when I die or when he turns 18. Then he'll have something to read through and can maybe see the world through his father's eyes.
>>
You're not interesting enough anon don't bother
>>
I've kept one intermittently since I was 17. It's nice to read through and remember moments you'd forgotten, and read things through the eyes of younger you. You'll be glad you kept it when you're older
>>
>>7329521
Sort of. I have a little notepad I carry around and write in, but it's not like I date it or insist upon cataloging my life in it on a daily basis. I just write about what I feel like writing about. It reads alot like the book of disquiet actually.
>>
Why would I? My life isn't interesting, and having a journal seems exceptionally narcissistic.
>>
Don't write pseudo-intellectual stuff. It'll be boring and cringey to read later. Write how you feel and describe moments in detail. Those kinds of entries are my favourite to re-read
>>
>>7329563

You're fucking awesome. I wish I could be your friend.
>>
>>7329563
>2015
>having a son

Big mistake.
>>
>>7329606
This is good advice. I keep a journal, but from the ages of 13-19 I only wrote in it every few weeks as either psuedo-intellectual wankery or an angsty outpouring. It's unbelievably cringeworthy.
>>
>>7329621
better than having a daughter
>>
>>7329521
Keeping a journal is even worse than writing fiction; it implies both the pretence of being a writer and somewhat presumptuously implies that your life is interesting.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 1819x2312) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 1819x2312
Just a reading journal, or copybook.
>>
A journal is a simple listing of the events of the day. It's really for pretentious authors/people to give themselves a sense of importance.

A diary is more for getting one's inner dialogue out on paper.
>>
An electrical copy would be more convenient but I feel more entwined with what I write when it's pen and paper.

Then the problem arises of someone finding it.
>>
>>7329521
I've tried, but at one point or another I just get really annoyed with my handwriting and go back to using my laptop.
>>
>>7329777
This
>>
>>7329777
So you're just afraid of being viewed as narcissistic and pretentious?
>>
>>7329777
This is a matter of what audience you're writing for. When I write in my journal, I do so knowing I'll (hopefully) be the only one who ever reads it. In that case, yes, I agree it implies what I'm writing about it interesting--to me, because it's about me and for me, written by the person who knows me and what I find interesting best, me.
>>
>>7329777
>>7329833
>>7329770
>>7329606
ive been writing a journal full of angsty "pseudo" intellectual thoughts so when i reread it ill commit to killing myself, even though i do fully enjoy and believe in those thoughts
its also filled entirely with many girls names and song ideas
>>
>>7329606
>Don't write pseudo-intellectual stuff. It'll be boring and cringey to read later.

I really disagree, seeing what a faggot you used to be and how you've grown is a lovely experience. Most of my old journals/school papers are absolutely terrible, pretentious and poorly written and so completely misguided. When flipping through them, my main motivation is tracing my ideas and interests across time

Would really recommend it, just write everything you feel, your favorite X and your romantic feelings and as much as you can take from your internal monlogue
>>
File: 1446682856530.jpg (15 KB, 378x249) Image search: [Google]
1446682856530.jpg
15 KB, 378x249
>>7329782
just let me ride that italic nib right into the sun senpai
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 1936x2592) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 1936x2592
>>7330716
>oh my, an admirer!

Here you are. Sometimes it's good to take it nice and slow. I began by making a few mistakes, however.
>>
My dad read my diary once so I stoppes ever since than

Maybe I should start again and not censor stuff that I didn't ever want to read again
>>
>>7330907
>all that form over function
>he can't even into shorthand
>>
File: image.jpg (611 KB, 1897x1797) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
611 KB, 1897x1797
The Lord's Prayer in Matthew. Sadly this no longer greets schoolchildren in America. It's as good a national anthem as any country could have.
>>
>>7330916
What the fuck is that
>>
File: shorthand.png (74 KB, 533x1013) Image search: [Google]
shorthand.png
74 KB, 533x1013
>>7330922
That my friend is Gregg shorthand. A steno system that allowed to write up to 250 words per minute. Invaluable to any journalist or office worker until the advent of audio recording systems.

It was taught in every college and almost every high school in america, until the 1930s or so.
All journalists were tested for their ability in writing in gregg shorthand.
>>
>>7329521
I do so, daily, since early 2012. I write quotes I like, thoughts about movies i've seen, songs I've heard, books I've read, things I've done during the day at school/work. Weather. Anything, actually. I find it interesting to find things to write, each day, and be satisfied with the way I tell them. :)
>>
>>7329791
That's why I code everything I write. First by writing in languages other than my first (I use English and throw in a bunch of German and French words or sentences) then by using allusions and references instead of actual names (not only people's names, I change whatever substantive I need to).

My diary has been found many times but I can't imagine anyone would ever go through the trouble of trying to decipher it.
>>
>>7329521
I recently found my journals from childhood and was really amused. Also embarrassed, because they weren't secure.
>>
i used to, but all of the entries were extremely depressing and i eventually stopped

if you're planning on actually rereading your journal don't write it while you're mentally unstable, it might make you cringe later
>>
>>7330945
but cringe is a good thing, means that you've changed. usually at least
>>
>>7329777
that's just your insecurity m8, i find it nice to write, just because written thoughts come out different in comparison to just thinking about stuff
>>
I just went out and bought a journal cuz of this thread, so what should i write about first, my affairs, my crippling self doubt, or my complete lack of motivation to do anything even remotely useful for my future
>>
>>7331015
this book is nice, gets you started:
http://www.amazon.com/365-Journal-Writing-Ideas-self-reflection-ebook/dp/B00B52SGXK

i can post a link of the pdf if you want
>>
>>7331017
Yes preferably. I havent been able to figure out how to ship stuff from amazon to my island yet
>>
I do, but every page says the same things- I'm depressed, I'm sick of my mood swings, why is life shit, fuck you mom, i wish i was stoned right now et etc
>>
>>7331021
>>7331021
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9bXYTQXXGJqVFNQSHZXU0ktdTg/view?usp=sharing

tell me if you can't download and if you can't, tell me your mail and ill send it
>>
>>7331024
then read books that give you new ideas to think about, it doesn't have to be the same if you try to think differently
>>
>>7331032
You know, anon, I don't really know why I come here. I don't really read. If I ever do, it's not to think about shit, it's to distract myself. I don't get why people care about philosophy and literature. It's just entertainment.
>>
>>7331036
sure it is, but each time i read a book, philosophy or anything else, i think about the portrayed ideas and how they could be applied or what they implicate. it's not that i'm learning anything valuable (sometimes i am), but i enjoy different ideas and perspectives and in turn they affect my view
>>
>>7331028
Thanks. I suppose I'll just dive right in
>>
>>7331043
but that's stupid. how is reading actually giving you ideas? any ideas in literature are always ham-fisted and shitty. make up your own ideas.
>>
>>7331061
that's just the thing, i don't take the ideas literally, i just mix them with my own opinion. i think it's silly or rather hard to be original in this world of so many options and knowledge, so i just take what makes sense to me
>>
File: writing.jpg (133 KB, 644x497) Image search: [Google]
writing.jpg
133 KB, 644x497
I keep like 3 journals at the time for some reason.
One for book quotes and general ideas, another one for longer 3-5 page essays, and another one for shitty graphs and unintelligible notes when I'm high as fuck.
Plus i have a folder for entries that i make on my typewriter.

I must say that keeping a journal is a must if you hope to ever be a good writer.

>>7331036
>>7331061
I don't know why you came here either dude. Where do you lurk usually?

Really thou this board is for literature and philosophy and you don't seem to like either. I understand you wanna explore some new ground, but for writing statements like >>7331061 in this neighborhood you'll get your shit kicked in pretty fast.
You gotta fucking read man. The fact that you don't seem to fathom filling, even just a page, of your journal with fruits of your mind is a testimony to that.

You shouldn't even need a fucking book to give you ideas for a journal. I cringed a little.

Here's a tip: It's YOUR journal. It's your own, private playground for ideas in this universe of mostly shit. You can fill it with anything you like. Once your pen touches the paper, that nebulous cloud of random threads, concept and abstractions in your head will transcend time and manifest itself in the physical world.
You can write about whatever you feel like. Complain about your family, admit that you are in love with someone, take a steaming shit on current government system or whatever.
just fucking write, forget about grammar and let it flow.

and fucking READ dude...

>pic related, mfw reading your posts
>>
>>7331061
I truly pity you.
>>
>>7331061
There's no way my little bait can be this good
>>
>>7329584
a journal doesnt have to be interesting.
>>
>>7329599
>>7329611
>>7329777
>>7329811
>>7329833
>>7329855
>>7330922
>>7330944
>>7330999

>>7329521
>Do you keep a journal
I stopped after I realised it looked like something out of criminal minds.
>>
>>7331199
no, thats when you have to keep going. Might make something worth reading after you snap.
>>
>>7329777
It doesn't have to be that way.

I'm a friendless half-autistic guy who, even without anyone to talk to (or no one with I feel confident enough) needs to express himself in some way.
Awful family problems (living with very old and sick people, I hope to get out of this hell's hole soon) plus personal problems (bad academic life, good for nothing according to my family, never had a job, etc) plus mental health problems (depression, anxiety) leads to the need to blow some steam off once in a way. I would me ashamed of sharing the fact of my shit-family with anyone (I don't even talk about it with my therapist, at least for now), thus if I don't write I don't have a chance of getting it 'out' of me, and it'd be nagging me for weeks or months (as it was before writing a journal/diary).

It doesn't need to be kept. I got rid of my first notes, and I'll probably get rid of my current notes in the future.
>>
>>7330917
I really hate the version used here. The one I learned goes "Our father who art in heaven / hallowed be they name / thy kingdom come / thy will be done / on earth as it is in heaven"

Yours is just so much less enjoyable to listen to

>>7330916
>>7330929
can you actually write in shorthand or are you memeing? Looks really interesting, surprised I've never seen it used
>>
>>7331250
surely your therapist has asked about your family life before, what do you say? "It's fine. We're good it's okay" and then change the subject? That's like lying to your doctor because you're afraid he'll think you're a weak faggot, tell your therapist everything you think is important
>>
I recently spewed my memories of my past few years at university in to a text document and it feels great (I'm not finished though). It feels kind of cathartic. Maybe it's easier for me because I had very few friends.

I don't mean putting effort in to the prose, it's literally a brain dump. A lot of the sentences start with "I remember" and it's not meant to be released to others to read.

I don't know about making it weekly or daily, that seems a bit much, though I'm not sure.
>>
>>7331280
She had moved very slowly to the matter of my family. The first discussion about my family was very matter-of-fact (with whom do I live, since when, etc), then my personal problems, and slowly she has driven the discussion to some members of my family.

I know I have to, and eventually I will, but I cannot help feeling ashamed of the people whom with I grew up.
>>
File: 1423178948416.jpg (122 KB, 801x798) Image search: [Google]
1423178948416.jpg
122 KB, 801x798
>>7331199
Wonderful digits, anon.
>>
>>7331017
i'll check that out
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
Are there any other artists here who write about their working methods, materials or potential mixes for colours?

I'm hoping this will eventually sink in and become second nature to me. These numbers given below are in reference to various mixtures in oils.
>>
>>7329777

I think that's enough /lit/ for tonight.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.