[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I haven't read a book in 6 years. What book should I read
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5
File: 1373317339081.gif (9 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1373317339081.gif
9 KB, 200x200
I haven't read a book in 6 years. What book should I read that'll make me want to pick up another one immediately afterwards rather than another 6 years from now?
>>
READ THE FUCKING STICKY AND FUCK OFF dessu
>>
lol pleb
>>
>>7328219
I did and they don't have any recommendations for people who haven't read a book in 6 years but who want to start reading good books regularly. Perhaps you can add one for me right now?
>>
>>7328231
Start with the Greeks.
>>
Slaughterhouse 5, Animal Farm, All the Pretty Horses.

Or, what do you like to read OP?
>>
>>7328231
Read nonfiction about a topic you're interested and/or start with Notes from the Underground and A Confederacy of Dunces.
>>
>>7328231
fuck off you retard
>>
>>7328249
Slaughterhouse 5 only if you want him to not read again in the next 6 years
>>
>>7328255
And what's your recommendation?Fucking Ulysses?

Vonnegut is very easy to read, even for someone who hasn't read in a while, and if he ends up liking S5, there's tons of jumping off points for where to go next.
>>
>>7328251
It's like he reminds you of you and... it's also like, no one hates you more than you. How sad.
>>
>>7328294
if only you were like me. then you would be able to use the sticky and not make a retarded thread like this. but instead you're a retard.
>>
>>7328314
I get like you when I'm upset. Think we all do. It's our nature as humans. Maybe fap right quick or maybe you're just sleep deprived. Either way no one cares.
>>
>>7328329
don't you ever get bored of shitposting your stupid platitudes? if you ever get like me, then you'd use the sticky and fuck off.
>>
Something with a larger print would help considering you haven't really used your eyes for anything purposeful in the better part of a decade. Magazines perhaps?
>>
File: Zabibah_and_the_King.jpg (49 KB, 323x497) Image search: [Google]
Zabibah_and_the_King.jpg
49 KB, 323x497
>>7328209
>>
>>7328249
Already read Animal Farm.

I think I'd like to go for something that's not set in old times, or having anything to do with islands/the sea/etc.

But I also want to read one of the classics, even if it's a modern classic.
>>
File: 1.jpg (17 KB, 260x346) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
17 KB, 260x346
>>
>>7328262
Why go immediately to the meme. There are a lot of books better than Vonnegut, who's only really enjoyed in america. Jack London for instance has a lot of good, easy to read, books. Simple and many of them full of substance, especially Martin Eden.
>>
This board is for the discussion of literature. It is not a book recommendation board. Pls leave.
>>
>>7328244
The only way
>>
crime and punishment desu senpai imo
i'm not even joking
>>
>>7328209
How To Read A Book by Mortimer J Adler
desu
>>
>>7328526
To be fair, Slaughterhouse 5 is on the wiki's starter guide list, so if you guys hate it take it off of there. You guys don't do a very good job of getting people into reading on here, it's always start with the Greeks or read the meme trilogy. Thanks for giving him a recommendation though.

>>7328503
That's still pretty damn vague. Do you have any favorite directors or movies?
>>
>>7328554
I had no hand in choosing the books on those lists neither do i make a part of any online community. Those are just the same repetitions ou see on all boards i guess, the same jokes being repeated over and over by stupid people. The only similar thing i can think of the top of my head is the Bentner, Penaldo or Missi on Football sites. Same jokes repeated ad infinitum. Don't pay attention to them
>>
>>7328554
that starter guide was created like 4 years ago. I dont think the wiki has been edited in that long either
>>
>>7328209
anything that resonates with your current personal life situation. For most people it's some personal crisis that brings them to literature.

Happy people DO NOT come to /lit/ for reading advice. They read Jo Nesbo - which i think you should start with.
>>
File: 2.jpg (19 KB, 619x415) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
19 KB, 619x415
>>7328249
>All The Pretty Horses

This

If you're at all interested in:
>Adventure
>Romance
>Romanticism
>Coming-of-age
>Action
>Passion
>Horses
>The Old West
>Survival stories
>Prison stories
>Masculinity

all delivered with McCarthy's signature style of minimalist Southern-Gothic

Made me fall in love with storytelling again and I guarantee that if you're a late-teen/twenty something male you'll enjoy it
>>
The Outsiders vs. The Book Thief?
>>
>>7328503
http://www.listchallenges.com/reddits-top-200-books

Not really calling you a reading pleb, but kind of. These are all really accessible.
>>
File: Untitled.png (827 KB, 1579x867) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
827 KB, 1579x867
>>7328874
Jesus Christ
>>
>>7328244

I thought that was for philosophy.
>>
>>7328972
only bad books there are HDM series and possibly the Sesame Street one
>>
>>7329877
What's wrong with HDM?
>>
>>7329877
The Sesame Street book finishes with a blank page. The reader is left to realise that only he remains, and is himself the monster at the end. It is truly a wake up call for children to awaken from their innocence and understand the darkness that lurks in humanity.
>>
>>7329877
HDM is the best book on that image are you fucking dumb?
>>
>>7329891
>The Stranger
>Fear and Loathing
>Monte Cristo

no, are you?
>>
>>7328343
You're Gay lol
>>
I got my friend into literature by recommending him A Confederacy of Dunces, so that might work. Also Vonnegut is usually a pretty good starting point for somebody interested in serious literature. He has deeper themes than most mainstream authors, but is able to maintain the same level of entertainment that makes them appealing in the first place. If you were to read him I'd say choose Cat's Cradle, Slaughterhouse-Five, or The Sirens of Titan.
>>
>>7328847
Read all the pretty horses while sleeping in a van and working on the railways after being kicked out of uni. It was like mccarthy reached out and grabbed me and shook me. I spent 3 years breaking rocks and chainsawing while abseiling before I got a good job on the oil rigs. Thanks man you reminded me of some lively times
>>
>>7329877
Sesame Street one is excellent
>>
>>7328363
actually it's a really good book !
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.