[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Bible as Literature
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: old-new.png (211 KB, 849x445) Image search: [Google]
old-new.png
211 KB, 849x445
Hey /lit/, so beyond all the theology/ideology that comes along with it, what are the Bible's most literary passages?

Which passages have the best of metaphors or simply superb wordplay and structure?

I've heard from various sources that the King James Version is the best version, from a literary standpoint.
>>
>>7326844
nigga how do you even need to ask this

>John
>Genesis
>Revelations
>>
>>7326847
Looking for specific passages and examples.
>>
King James Version is based off the Tyndale version which was designed to mimic the speech of the lowest classes to make the bible accessible in the vernacular to farmhands and the like.
It's not because it has better wordplay, structure or higher literary standing that it became the source of allusions in English; it's because it was the most common book, in every sense of common.

Jude has the best Greek writing. It's mostly stolen Greek puns, but at least he tried.
>>
>>7326850
Documentary on Tyndale with Bragg narrating. "The Most Dangerous Man in Tudor England"
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpVKFVBaBuU
>>
>Book of Job
>Ecclesiastes
>>
>>7326850
and yet it is still the most literary translation.
>>
>>7327140
It is, but not because of it's inherent worth. Now that time enough has passed to bestow worth upon it, it's one of the most literary books ever despite being a translation.
>>
>>7326848
It would take you less than 2 hours to read John, less than 60 minutes to read Rev and less than 2 hours to read Genesis
>>
>>7326844

The Bible is literally 300 AD fanfiction that became a successful series with a movie franchise and merchandise.

It's no better then 50 Shades of Grey, Divergent or whatever the 14 year old angsty girls like to read these days.
>>
the fuck does 'literary' have to do with metaphors and wordplay? goddamn freshmen
>>
>>7327238
calm down, sperg. i just want to hear people's favorite passages from the bible.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.