[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there really any point to this book other than to be an eccentric
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: medprof-joyce4.png (310 KB, 283x455) Image search: [Google]
medprof-joyce4.png
310 KB, 283x455
Is there really any point to this book other than to be an eccentric piece? Can one genuinely be into this book?
>>
Read it fast and it'll start to make sense.
>>
read it and find out
>>
>>7326770
yes it's really fun to read
>>
Read it out loud in an exaggerated Irish accent. Then it will make sense.
>>
Just gibberish dream language trash that hipsters think will make them look mysterious and profound on the train. I hate this shit book and anyone who treats it like the final boss of litersture
>>
File: 1444989961615.jpg (138 KB, 621x864) Image search: [Google]
1444989961615.jpg
138 KB, 621x864
This book stands as the total bookend on the bookshelf which holds all books and is ordered by difficulty.
It starts with "Where's spot?" and proceeds through till "Finnigans wake".

Finnigans wake sits as the total extent of literature. It is rewarding insofar that no matter how deep you dig into any line you will always be rewarded with new meanings. However, one could also say that you are never truly prepared for the wake.

It can never be seen as any part of cannon. Or even patrician.

The wake is a necessary entity. "how far can we go": the wake.

The wake is at the end.

The wake might be good or bad. No. Good and bad ended a couple thousand books down the shelf with "beyond good and evil".

The wake just is, and is waiting there for you whether or not you ever read it.

Whatever it is will only be once you read it.

Your wake is its own entity. It is the end of your possible literary universe.
>>
File: 442140.jpg (31 KB, 312x475) Image search: [Google]
442140.jpg
31 KB, 312x475
Yes. It's actually pretty clear what it wants to be. A sort of extension of Ulysses into further extremes, but the same basic ideas. An epic of life, and so everyday life as much as mythologized life, and the death that lays beyond. Death and Life, Finnegan wakes during Finnegan's wake, but we are all Finnegan and so Finnegans Wake, many Finnegans, always, infinitely, wake into life into death.

For basis of plot, cf the traditional Irish song Finnegan's Wake
If you're well read on Greek mythology and have a companion book (check your uni library) to figure out the real obscure stuff it makes sense to the degree that any modernist fiction makes sense.
I can't give you any definite answers, probably nobody can, but there is substance there, and it's not nearly as hidden as people like to claim.
But again, don't get me wrong, it's nutty, it's supposed to be, supposed to resemble a dream state, a higher consciousness, the collective consciousness even.

The Skeleton Key to Finnegans Wake is a great book for assistance. (recommended to me by none other than Terrance McKenna)
>>
>>7327214
Your dumb
>>
>>7327256
A better book would be Joyce's Book of the Dark by John Bishop. Skeleton Key is more about Campbell's monomyth theory. John Bishop tries to stay closer to Joyce's intentions.
>>
>>7326770
Joyce progressed from each book, so why would it be different for this one? He spent 17 years writing this, it isn't nonsense
>>
>>7327214
Well it is, can you name a better 'final boss'?
>>
>>7327491
i think he takes fault primarily with the sentiment of literature being a 'final boss' and books being things to be conquered
>>
>>7327462
>muh deep book im gonna read now that im a big boy and am reading lit-er-a-choor outside of high school
>the language is really weird so it must have thematic, moral, and philosophical value you guise

>>7327491
>muh video game analogies

maybe u should reinstall WoW
>>
>>7327565
Mad projecting, anon. Finnegans Wake very clearly has meaning, even if you (or I, for that matter) don't see it. It's beyond arrogant to believe that your opinion is more educated than most of academia's.
>>
>>7327580
>It's beyond arrogant to believe that your opinion is more educated than most of academia's.

Boy I'd sure to love hear some of these deep meanings anon, cause sure as fuck you memers have never opened up about it
>>
>>7327614
It doesn't matter what I think it means--what matters is what a whole lot of people a whole lot more educated than you or I think it means. I mean, it sounds fallacious, but, generally, academia has decent opinions. So until you provide multiple textual examples and thoroughly and logically explain why it is nothing more than "gibberish dream language trash," I'm going to assume that you are nothing more than an arrogant contrarian.
>>
>>7327639
>generally, academia has decent opinions
pleb
>>
>>7327647
Prove it.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.