[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hypothetical situation: Humanity is dying out soon, but you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: man-thinking-hard[1].jpg (37 KB, 297x450) Image search: [Google]
man-thinking-hard[1].jpg
37 KB, 297x450
Hypothetical situation:
Humanity is dying out soon, but you can guarantee that three works of literature will survive for aliens to read. They will be able to read the two pieces of literature in the original language they were written in.

Which do you choose?

I think I would choose:
The Odyssey (Homer)
Hamlet (Shakespeare)
Ulysses (Joyce)
>>
HAHA YEAH LETS TAKE SOME PLAYS XDD

WE DON'T NEED CONTEXT FOR ANY OF THOSE NOT LIKE WE SHOULD BRING THE BIBLE XDD WHO EVEN BELIEVES IN GO ANYWAYS I MEAN ITS 2015 STUPID CHRISTIANS

XD I WOULD TAKE OUT ULYSSES (TOO MEME FOR ME LMAO) AND PUT IN RICHARD DAWKIN'S ORIGIN OF THE SPECIES INSTEAD LOL!!
>>
>>7323439
The Bible might be cool. My line of thinking was something like this:
All three of those works portray different facets of human nature and each of them are really beautiful.
I also think there is a variety of form--The Odyssey being poetic, Hamlet being a play, and Ulysses being a novel.
I also like the interplay of texts and cultures, as Ulysses is tangled with The Odyssey and Hamlet. This is reflective of how a lot of people write and live--interacting with cultures and writers long dead through text.
I also like how the stream-of-consciousness in Ulysses would get an alien uncomfortably close to a human in a way, haha!
>>
Aren't you tired of creating shitty threads about surveys/games/bookshelves/“the X book you read”? Do you ever want to discuss literature or are you right just to namedrop your library and get validation by random people?
>>
>>7323434
just leave em three copies of gravitys rainbow and let em fill in the blanks
>>
The Holy Bible
Faust
War & Peace
>>
The Roman Martyrology
The Breviary
The Ordinary of the Mass (Tridentine)

>May this mingling and hallowing of the Body and Blood of our Lord Jesus Christ avail us that receive it unto life everlasting. Amen.

He covers the chalice, kneels, rises, and bowing before the blessed Sacrament, with his hands joined together and striking his breast three times, says:

>Lamb of God, who takest away the sins of the world, have mercy on us.

>Lamb of God, who takest away the sins of the world, have mercy on us.

>Lamb of God, who takest away the sins of the world, grant us peace.\

>O Lord Jesus Christ, who didst say to thy apostles, Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you; look not upon my sins, but upon the faith of thy Church; and vouchsafe to her that peace and unity which is agreeable to thy will; who livest and reignest God for ever and ever. Amen.
>>
>>7323434
Excellent choices, I think I'd pick exactly the same.
>>
>>7323995
Actually, maybe The Bible over The Odyssey.
>>
>black
>man
Pick one.
>>
Ecclesiastes
Phenomenology of Spirit
Philosophical Investigations
>>
The Ego and its Own
Infinite Jest
The Spiderwick Chronicles
>>
Infinite Jest
Atlas Shrugged
Mein Kamf
>>
File: 1.jpg (68 KB, 372x334) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
68 KB, 372x334
Stephenie Meyer - Twilight
Laurell K. Hamilton - Guilty Pleasures
E. L. James - Fifty Shades of Grey

I just wanna watch the whole world burn, then observe as aliens reading these novels start puking violently. Then they would condemn our dead civilization as the most vile they've ever encountered, destroying any artifacts related to Earth, then, they'd erase the coordinates of this place from their star-charts forever, never to be visited by anyone ever again.
It would be....glorious.
>>
>>7323434
The Odyssey
La Divina Commedia
The Bible
>>
>>7323439
Honestly, the Bible would probably make the aliens think humans were primitive. We should probably pick a more realistic religious book with better moral and philosophical insights, like the Bhagavad Gita or the Pali Canon.
>>
>>7323434
Hamlet
Journey to The West
Tales of Genji
>>
>>7325167
>>7323434
Why the fuck would you leave them with Hamlet? It's not a good example of human experiences, emotions, thought, or even literature. It's only good to showcase our achievements with using language.
>>
>>7325250
>hamlet is inhuman
check out this pleb
>>
War and Peace
The Dhammapada
Latro in the Mist
>>
File: view from the cherry tree.jpg (79 KB, 289x480) Image search: [Google]
view from the cherry tree.jpg
79 KB, 289x480
Be a Perfect Person in Just Three Days!
The Girl with the Silver Eyes
The View from the Cherry Tree
>>
File: a.jpg (216 KB, 1027x515) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
216 KB, 1027x515
>>
>>7323434
This thread should be one piece so they can see us argue about it
>>
I'd pick three books of Bukowski's to get back at /lit/.
>>
Literature needs context.
>>
>>7325326
I can't wait to see them worship James Franco like a god.
>>
>>7325141
DESIGNATED
>>
Harry Potter 1
Harry Potter 2
Harry Potter 3
>>
A Song of Ice and Fire
>>
Principica Mathematica
An Inquiry into The Nature and Causes of The Wealth of Nations
P B Shelley Poetry and Prose complete collection
>>
Little Indians by Hannah Weiner

If these fuckers can space travel, they can probably handle the all-at-onceness of the consciousness of a schizophrenic, unlike most humans.

Soft Machine by William Burroughs

Fuck the glamorama, let's show them the depravity, which may be our essence.

Street of Crocodiles by Bruno Schulz

Just because I love it and I want to share it with everyone.
>>
File: 1445904591670.jpg (119 KB, 800x518) Image search: [Google]
1445904591670.jpg
119 KB, 800x518
>>7323434
Fallout 3 Prima Strategy Guide
Fallout: New Vegas Prima Strategy Guide
Fallout 4 Prima Strategy Guide

Just to throw them off the trail.
>>
Unironically, the meme trilogy
>>
Death Comes for the Archbishop
An Origin of Species
One Thousand and One Nights
>>
>>7325357
underrated post
>>
>>7326639
It is. Glad you pointed it out. I skimmed over it.
>>
>>7326665
stop trying to act civilized for the aliens you uncle tom doublenigger
>>
Mein Kampf
Metro 2033
>>
Wikipedia downloaded as an ebook. Ten steps ahead of you plebs.
>>
>>7326876
>not Project Gutenberg
>>
The Bible

An encyclopedia of philosophy

Infinite Jest
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.