[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Okay forreal hold on, don't ban me. Is this literature?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
Okay forreal hold on, don't ban me. Is this literature? When do works go from being X to literature?

Like Romeo & Juliett obviously wasn't literature when it came out, but then eventually it did.

So
a) is this literature?
b) more generally, when does a work become literature?

inb4 massive shitstorm and we get banned. Please keep it together /lit/
>>
>>7322981
It's /lit/ until you invade Poland, then it's /pol/.
>>
>>7322981
You should ask when does a piece become art, and use the example of somebody's random stick figure sketch compared to the mona lisa.

The safest/least exciting answer is that it's a social consensus on what we recognise as artistic.
>>
>>7323086

Well yeah that's the question but it's really hard to say.
>>
>>7322981
If it's a book it's literature. this is the only objective standard to determine what literature is. anything else is the second rate opinion of a smug liberal crybaby who wants /lit/ to be his hugbox
>>
>>7323173

Seems kinda true. Anything someone doesn't like will be deemed to not be "literature."
>>
You seem to be implying that the greatest work of the 20th century might not be literature? Why?

>An Austrian laments over the death of his country; weeping, he grasps a pistol and fights for his brothers in Munich.
>>
>>7322981
yes

if we can discuss much more dangerous books like the bible or the ego and it's own here then i don't see why mein kampf would be banned
>>
Literature is any work, short or long, which is nearly exclusively composed of a written language.
>>
It's certainly literature--but certainly shit.
>>
>>7323285
Tell that to the people who want philosophy off of /lit/
>>
>>7322981
Has anyone here actually read Mein Kampf?

Is it really as boring as people say?
>>
>>7323867
chapters about ww1 and his propaganda/speech principles stand out. rest is shit. quality fluctuation betrays what he really cared about.
>>
>>7323867
I was bored once when reading the book. If that qualifies as "boring" i don't know, but the book did change me. It would be weird if it didn't, being as it's basically the manifesto of the most important figure in recent human history.
>>
/his/ was a fucking mistake
>>
Mein Kampf isn't really a standard book. It was written by Rudolph Hess while Hitler was in prison and dictated his thoughts to Hess. It wasn't even edited.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.