[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rate the languages you know and provide in what order you learned
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5
Rate the languages you know and provide in what order you learned them. Maybe how good a language seems depends on how many early experiences are tied to it.
For example I read Harry Potter in German first (I was 12), and found it amazing, then in English it seemed robotic and unrelatable.

My favorite languages:
1. Russian
2. German
3. French
4. English

The order I learned them in
1+ 2. Russian/ German
3. French
4. English
>>
Just Portuguese (native) and English. I don't really remember when I "learned" English, I think I was about 11 or 12.
>>
I haven't fully learned a language yet, but I've dabbled in Norwegian/Swedish and some very minor Japanese. I'm currently committing to Russian right now and I have been for a few months. So far Russian is my favorite. Would any of you guys some pretty good resources for learning Russian? All I have is pic related.
>>
>>7322686
>favourites
1.English
2.German
3.French
4.spanish

>Order learnt in
1+2 English + french (Father's french)
3. German
4. spanish (2nd year learning)

Honestly I like english and german the most, english more so as i'm much better at it.
>>
>>7322686
If you want to be repulsed, I'm in USA, and I was suggesting topics for argumentative essays to my students today and mentioned the topic of increasing emphasis on bilingual studies in K-12 education. Half of them sort of snorted at the thought. As an American, I feel shame how little we emphasize the value of learning multiple languages.

So my list, these languages I'm pretty shitty at and haven't much practice in for a few years at least, won't even lie.

Order of learning:
1. English
2. French
3. Latin
4. Japanese

Favorite Languages:
1. Latin
2. Japanese
3. English tied with French
>>
>>7322686
Favorites:
1. Arabic
2. English
3. Spanish
4. Urdu

Order:
1. English
2+3. Urdu/Spanish
4. Arabic (currently still learning)
>>
>>7322818
Learn basic grammar and spelling, the most common words (around 500 or so), then read novels and watch movies/tv. If you want to be an expert, add scientific/technical literature to the mix.
I think this is the best algorithm to learn languages in general.
>>
>>7322818
Get a tutor, make up some goals that involve going to Russia, make Skype friends. My parents are Russian, and I grew up speaking it yet there are still things that make shake my head. It's a nightmare to learn, but the lit makes it worth it, and when I see foreigners speak it all I think is 'l33t patrician tier og' .
>>
learned:
1. English
2. Spanish
3. French
4. Portuguese
5. German

1. English
2. German
3. Portuguese
4. French
5. Spanish
>>
What's a good first language for an English monoglot to learn? German?
>>
File: eliza jane wilder.jpg (19 KB, 350x270) Image search: [Google]
eliza jane wilder.jpg
19 KB, 350x270
What book(s) are we discussing here, please?
>>
>>7323224
how do you know the most common 500 words though?
>>
>>7322686
literally >>>/his/
>>
File: e8a5w9s.gif (2 MB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
e8a5w9s.gif
2 MB, 400x300
>>7323137
American here, I'd done horribly when I was forced to learn Spanish in high-school, but excelled when I was given the choice to study Chinese in university.

What I'm really trying to say is:
In America, just English is just fine, thank you.
>>
>>7323815
Of course forcing people to learn other languages when they don't want to is stupid. The problem is the anti-intellectual culture due to which you won't want to learn other languages in the first place.
>>
File: eliza jane wilder.jpg (16 KB, 350x269) Image search: [Google]
eliza jane wilder.jpg
16 KB, 350x269
>>7323799
Very good, anon.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.