[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm writing a text-game in python with a similar premise
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: adfc.png (17 KB, 1231x662) Image search: [Google]
adfc.png
17 KB, 1231x662
I'm writing a text-game in python with a similar premise to the film "My Dinner with Andre". This is mainly going to be something to entertain my friends with so I really don't have anyone to help proof read it except /lit/.

I'm not necessarily for anything extensive, just some critique on one of the excerpts I have so far.

Premise
Two men, Sebastian and Jeremy, are seated at a diner booth. Sebastian is explaining to Jeremy why he had a mental breakdown and left his trip from Europe several months before he intended.

This excerpt takes place partway through Sebastians final story of the night.

pic related
>>
>I'm writing a text-game in python

Perl, or GTFO.
>>
>>7321509
Unless you're doing it as a programming exercise, you might consider using a text game engine like Twine or Inform.

No reason to reinvent the wheel, and it would let you focus on content, which is what people really care about.
>>
>>7321549
Perl is dead bro. Get over it.
>>
>>7321509
I'm not kidding, if this is executed properly I would
buy this game in a heartbeat.
>>
>>7321509
I'm interested, anon. Is there anymore you would like to post?
>>
File: tell me more.png (237 KB, 306x700) Image search: [Google]
tell me more.png
237 KB, 306x700
>>
>>7321509
>desiccated shack
Wha.. Desiccated means incredibly dry, dried out. Are building usually plump with moisture?

Also why can't you simply state what it is. Is it not a building? Why is there uncertainty about it being a building at all, in two places no less? It's weird. Instead of saying what something isn't you might try to describe what it is.
>>
>>7324528
Faggots like you always have to shit up the thread with critiques of minor purple prose.

Don't you have anything better to do with your time?
>>
>>7324542
>answering the OP's request
>shitting up the thread
Pick one my main man.
>>
>>7324550
Touche. But I will say that I find nothing wrong with the word desiccated being used on a building, though I would probably have used "dilapidated" instead.
>>
>>7324553
The use of "desiccated" for a building makes no sense.
>>
>>7324554
I can imagine situations where it does makes sense, i.e a geographical area in the world where there are alternating periods of drought and heavy rain.

But like I said, I wouldn't have used that word.
>>
>>7324553
That does not surprise me coming from someone who views editing with outright contempt.

Furthermore OP, why is the shack neither that nor a building (but a 'buiding')? Why all the commas in places where they can be either removed or replaced with 'and'? Why write "I followed her into this" when 'the' is the better word since you used 'this' in the beginning of the paragraph?
>>
File: adfc2.png (16 KB, 1231x662) Image search: [Google]
adfc2.png
16 KB, 1231x662
>>7322704
>>7322956
>>7323000

Appreciate the interest, here's a small addendum I finished writing a few minutes ago. Open for critique with it as well.

>>7324528
>>7324553
>>7324554
>>7324560

The shack is inspired by an actual abandoned hut in the forest on my property. It reminds me of the outhouse in the opening to Shrek but as if said ouhouse had been exposed to the sun for several days.

I put the word building in sneer quotes to imply that it was on its last legs. A strong gust of wind could topple it over for example.

Thanks for the pointers, I don't want to be too verbose yet there's plenty of room for more clarity. I'll keep this in mind.
>>
>>7324973
I should mention, I sort of did a hard stop with Sebastian's last statement because I need to get some other work done.

I'll more than likely incorporate it into its own paragraph when I get more time.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.