[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Night of your birth. Thirty-three. The Leonids they were
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
>Night of your birth. Thirty-three. The Leonids they were called. God, how the stars did fall. I looked for blackness, holes in the heavens.

How do I wrote prose like this?
I've often heard it described as biblical. What exactly is biblical about it?
>>
It's biblical because only Americans are dumb enough to like it
>>
>>7320714

be a huge fan of paperback best-sellers, a handful of retail classics and esteemed literary talents like Orson Scott Card. Pipe in a loose reference system (include the tarot, some basic mythologies, &c) and a story that teases allegory into a word processor. Market as your 'darkest' work yet and wait for the paycheck and the call from Oprah
>>
>>7320714

I'm guessing it's Biblical because it reminds Americans of Genesis or something, the whole opening line is about something coming into existence.
>>
>>7320714
that is dialogue.

but in general mccarthy just spends a superhuman amount of time working on the style and rewrites/uses a lot of old source material: poets, greeks, milton, etc.
>>
phrases and cadence that seem archaic
>>
>>7320714
You never will. Partly because you spelled it "wrote" and partly because you made a thread like eight lines into that book.
>>
Write a novel, then revise until it's good.
>>
It's vaguely archaic?
>>
>>7323116
Is there a relatively cheap copy of that edition somewhere?
>>
>>7320714

Read the bible, paradise lost, and moby dick over and over until you understand.
>>
>>7323116
incredible. it's a different story entirely from the final product. mccarthy's a legend.
>>
damn BM really was pretty good
I read it like 5 years ago when first getting into serious lit. really ought to revisit it soon, I'm sure I have a lot of new context today.
>>
Hack away you mean red nigger.
>>
>>7323116
I'm sitting here right now about to start revising some of my work. This gives me inspiration. Thanks, McCarthy.
>>
>>7320714
>>7323484
Not just any Bible, but KJV.
>>
>>7323116
got a link for this?
>>
>>7323526
based glanton

i always picture his face to be reminiscent of al swearingen
>>
>>7323116
so is it like the previous draft or what?

And hell, all that stuff that's been cut, it's cringeworthy. Especially the teacher part
>>
>>7324180
why don't you suck my cock
>>
>>7324190
well thats true - it's counselor-tier
>>
File: 1444064248129.png (273 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
1444064248129.png
273 KB, 450x450
>>7323116
>mfw McMeme lurks /lit/
>>
>>7320725
It's Better than anything you ever did.
>>
>>7324526
God I hate this argument.
>>
>>7325350
>an argument btfos him
gawd i hate that 1 desu
>>
OP. Forget what everyone in this thread is saying. Dick, Paradise Lost are appropriate touchstones for content. The key to the style of this book is Go Down Moses. Read it aloud and compare the two, and you will see what I mean.
>>
>>7323116
Holy fuck this is terrible and BM is my favorite book.

Editing is everything.
>>
File: genova.gif (96 KB, 474x348) Image search: [Google]
genova.gif
96 KB, 474x348
>>7323116
>>
>>7324526

fuck off, moron
>>
>>7320719
>implying the Bible doesn't have literary merit
>>
>>7323116
Wow, this is horrible. Really gives me faith in the magic of editing.
>>
>>7323566
>reading translations
>>
Muh sockfeet..
>>
Why did he use minimal punctuation, yet use an immensely large vocabulary?

Was it oversight?
>>
File: 1446143679067.jpg (134 KB, 690x754) Image search: [Google]
1446143679067.jpg
134 KB, 690x754
>>7323116

That's clearly a rough draft but I find it oddly inspiring. It took McCarthy ten or fifteen years to write Blood Meridian, right?
>>
>>7326021
punctuation is unnecessary
>>
>>7320714

People call Blood Meridian's dialogue 'biblical' because it conveys a certain sense of scale and grandeur even though the language being used is terse and cryptic. The Bible does that too; it's the expression of big ideas and the portrayal of immense things happening through beige prose that lends it an 'epic' quality.
>>
>>7320719
>all Americans are bible thumpers

Are you even allowed to mention America in your Sharia zone?
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.