[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to write genreshit for plebs and make $$$. What themes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: 1431652045005.jpg (15 KB, 250x329) Image search: [Google]
1431652045005.jpg
15 KB, 250x329
I want to write genreshit for plebs and make $$$. What themes and tropes do mainstream audiences like? What do they hate? How wide should I cast my demographic net?
>>
>>7320398
Look in the mirror op
>>
>>7320398
>I want to write stuff and make a bunch of money. What do?
Fucking list what specific genres you have in mind heathen. You can't just announce yourself and command those near you to give you knowledge because you command it. Form a list of what you think you can write, make a list of what you can kind of write, and then make a list of what you can write. After that weigh what you can write with how profitable it is, but before that grasp what profit is and what it means. Fuck you smdh tbqh faam
>>
File: 1429502800436.jpg (70 KB, 450x532) Image search: [Google]
1429502800436.jpg
70 KB, 450x532
just think like a beta and write wish fulfillment hack shit that plays on comfortable tropes.

>in deep space humans encounter a powerful race which transports them to a word which is in medieval stasis, flat and goes on forever in every direction.

>young man saves a little girl in a traffic accident while stationed at a military base somewhere in yourope. He visits her at the hospital and she invites him over for dinner where he realizes that she is cared for by only her older sister who is trying to keep things together.
Local thugs are making the block a bad pace and protag1 needs to give up his prior duties in order to find a place where he can really make a difference

just pick an idea which is eyerollingly predictable. Plebs dont want challenge or substance, they want comfort wrapped in so much style they dont realize they have had this before.
>>
>>7320409
>Fucking list what specific genres you have in mind heathen.

Probably fantasy, sci-fi, romance or detective. Fantasy has wide appeal, but lots of competition. Sci fi is a bit more niche, although I am male with a scientific background so that's a positive. Romance and detective novels are mostly read by women, but they fucking gobble that shit up, despite (or because of) how formulaic it generally is. Does anyone even read Westerns?

Thanks for the good advice anyway, dipshit.
>>
>>7320553
That stuff seems easy enough. If you want to rake in dough from it I suggest looking for which publisher has the most sales within a certain period for those genres.
Sci-fi can be hit or miss depending on how sci-fi you go. Some have a little girl that is actually an alien and she learns it by saving a dog from getting captured by ISIS, some go full out year 30xx interdimensional travel is as barbaric as public transportation kind of routes. You have to find how much sci or fi you want in your sci-fi.
If you're doing romance just cater to the deepest darkest insecurities of females using a suave and "powerful" male character and have him do what he wants when he wants but he has like a mistress that he answers to or something. Perceived power for them to feel good about themselves. Also be sure to have the sex scenes be vividly explained but not too informative; vague things like "He made her feel a true sense of bliss as he kissed her lips while she bit her others. He said "If this is what you want, you have to work for it." he then left the room making her feel like a dirty whore that he had used without using." or something like that. The main demo are middle-aged mothers/widows so any kind of action gets them to buy.
For detective novels I suggest just making them perceptive. They don't have to be Sherlock Holmes because in the real world he would get things wrong but harken back to perceived power.
>>
>>7320568
any tips for fantasy?
>>
>>7320398
You'd make better money working for minimum wage.
>>
you're a shit writer either way and are going to fail inn every respect. stop thinking you're above genre shit.
>>
Go move to LA and become a television writer.

The bar is not set very high.
>>
>>7320986
I never said I was above it, nigger.
>>
>>7321010
>I never said I was above it
>"I want to write genreshit for plebs"

It wasn't exactly eisegesis
>>
>>7321127
>eisegesis
fuck off
>>
>>7321127
exegeetical u meen
>>
>>7321127
>using the insular language of a particular community means you take the memes seriously
>>
>>7320398

If you want to peddle average and mediocre genre fiction you need to read a lot of genre fiction.

If you want to actually make bank you need to figure out what people want and aren't getting.

You may have a lot opinion of genre fiction but you need to understand the fans, if you think of them as drooling retards and don't take them seriously you aren't going to reach them.
>>
Glorify promiscuity and I'm sure you'll rake in the big bucks.
>>
>>7320398
have you ever successfully published anything in your life at all? Have you ever successfully maintained a sustained regimen of writing and editing? Have you ever 'finished' anything?

Writing genre is hard, senpai, and we're not in steve king times where you can just shit out millions of books and hope some stick. you gotta work hard but also become a meme.

so pretty much you won't make it
>>
>>7320398
>asking counterculture on how to woo mainstream culture
>>
>>7320398
Vampires and werewolves has been milked to a sore tit.

I'd say terrorism-prose
>angry sand monkey in loving western society
>discover hardy giant killer wasps
>import hardy giant killer wasps to the country where he's temporarily stationed
>Releases hardy giant killer wasps
>hardy giant killer wasps make nests and reproduce exponentially
>everyone terrified hardy giant killer wasps
>hardy giant killer wasps develops deadly poisonous stingers
>hardy giant killer wasps kills western society

£ € $

*Copyright by I
>>
>>7321309
>4chan
>counterculture

4chan is pop culture and has been for years now
>>
>>7320398
genre fiction is dominated by amazon and the writers work insanely hard, especially on your questions of audience, marketing, demographics. most are passionate about their genre or they do thorough research. they put out a book a month and make less than minimum wage

the market is insanely efficient. to think you soar above in talent in such a way that you can slum it up and $$$$$ back up the money truck is an absurd delusion.
>>
>>7320756
Fantasy is a bit hit-and-miss as well. In my opinion fantasy should reflect how you see things and how you could perfect them. That way anything can fantasy, I mean isn't it already subjective?
>>
>>7320398
The most disgusting erotica you can think of. Taboo
>>
>>7321871
I used to be active on blackhatworld, one guy made it a goal to "publish" 1 erotic novel a week on Amazon, dedicating 10-100 dollars in marketing depending on his opinion of the work.

Before i lost track of the thread he was generating like 500 bucks a day.
>>
>>7320398
Main character must be a teenager, preferably a girl. Living in dystopian world. He/she is the hero, but is not perfect, makes mistakes. He/she manages to make something to upset the system (probably by a mistake or a mysterious gift or prophesy he/she had never heard of). Becomes leader of a rebellion. War. He/she and the rebellion win. Add some teenage romance. Make it a trilogy.

$$$ assured.
>>
>>7321874
This is my goal, to flood amazon with terrible erotic novels.
>>
>>7321925
Remember to be as depraved as possible, and look for underserved fetishes
>>
>>7320398
Love Triangles

if your going full pleb than you want the biggest money spending demographic and that it the Twilight/50 Shades crowd, so love triangles and needless bullshit relationship drama
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.