[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whats should I read before reading David Hume. Dont say start
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: photo-2-4.jpg (1 MB, 1586x2180) Image search: [Google]
photo-2-4.jpg
1 MB, 1586x2180
Whats should I read before reading David Hume. Dont say start with the greeks. I already read the greeks.
>>
>>7319765
>I already read the greeks.

read them again
that well can never be depleted.
>>
>>7319770
This, you didn't read them good enough if you still believe other things are worth reading.
>>
Descartes, Spinoza, Bacon, Hobbes, and Locke
>>
If you're going to read Hume, first you need to read Locke. Read Essay Concerning Human Understanding, then read Treatise on Human Nature or Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding. A ton of Hume's Enquiry is simply building on or refuting Locke, who pretty much set the standard for post-18th century philosophy with the Essay
>>
The empiricist and idealists before him. If you are touching the major ones it's not that many
>>7319772
Berkeley as well
>>
>>7319765
A typical answer would be "Meditations" by Renee Descartes.

However, the right answer is the wikipedia article on the Munchausen Trilemma(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%BCnchhausen_trilemma). Also "Prometheus Rising" by Robert Anton Wilson.
>>
Hume is pretty comprehensible on his own, I wouldn't say there are really prereqs if your goal is just to understand what he's saying.
>>
Honestly, if you can read English, you can pick up the Enquiry Concerning Human Understand with no technical knowledge and get a great deal out of it.

Maybe not as much as with preparation, but it can function as a stand alone work. It might help to be comfortable with older forms of English though. As for myself, I am particularly fond of English between the 16th and 19th centuries so it's an absolutely delightful read, but I hope you just pick that sucker up and get to learnin'.

Keep in mind, one can really enjoy something without "believing it" or feeling that it is "correct". I am still in a formative time, what I got most of the Enquiry was a feeling of kindred spirits across space and time and that reassured me.
>>
>>7319871
I apologize for my typos. I figure you can still follow the general idea.
>>
>>7319765
>trying to get out of starting with the Greeks

Start with the greeks
>>
>>7319765
You should read some Shaftesbury (the 3rd earl), Samuel Clarke, and Hutcheson.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.