[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Kurt Vonnegut thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 027144.jpg (62 KB, 356x530) Image search: [Google]
027144.jpg
62 KB, 356x530
What do you think about Vonnegut ?

How about ''Breakfast for champions'' ?
>>
r/books tier
>>
>>7319733
This. Gtfo.
>>
I loved Cat's Cradle and Mother Night. Slaughterhouse Five was fun but I read it at 16 so the whole time I was like "haha how weird."
>>
>So it goes
XD
Im a grill btw, but im not like the others im unique and have tattoos
>>
Vonnegut is good shit. Breakfast of Champions is hilarious if not his best. People here call him shit because he isn't super complex, but I still think he's a good writer. Don't have to be dense as fuck to write good novels.
He writes like he's having a conversation with you, which I like. Like you're sitting on a couch with an old friend and he's telling you a wild story.
>>
>>7319729

I thought it was really funny. Mind you, I was 16 when I read it. Absolutely adored it.

I am little apprehensive about revisiting it. I think there might not be much else but nostalgia for me there.

>>7319733
>>7319742
>>7319785

Being incapable of appreciating light reads says more about you than it does of anything else.
>>
I read Slaughterhouse 5 when I was 18 and thought it was amazing. A couple years down the road I picked up Sirens of Titan and Breakfast of Champions, and all I could think about when I read them was how pretentious is all felt. It also seemed like KVonn was trying way too hard to be edgy, but maybe that's just me.
>>
>>7319785
>Im a grill btw
tits or gtfo
>>
I've reas Cat's cradle which I would describe as an amateur cross between Pynchon and Dick.
I don't like Pynchon, but I recognize why people may see him as a great writer, but that is absent with Vonnegut.
>>
>>7319729
went through a huge Vonnegut phase late middle school/early high school. he's great & rly accessible, especially if you like satire. the thing abt him is that his books are always some sort of a balance between heartfelt sincerity and goofy homespun humor, and not to mention rly sad shit. Breakfast of Champions is p much exclusively absurd and wacky humor, and it's v v funny but definitely not a good starting point if ur just getting into his work. I'd say start w Cat's Cradle & see how you feel there
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.