[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Absurdist Literature Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 8
File: 13239818.jpg (83 KB, 295x450) Image search: [Google]
13239818.jpg
83 KB, 295x450
Absurdist, Surreal, Downright strange stuff here. Anyone read pic related? Good shit.
>>
File: Kafka_portrait.jpg (15 KB, 220x293) Image search: [Google]
Kafka_portrait.jpg
15 KB, 220x293
>>7319678

Also, how is Kafka beyond The Trial and Metamorphosis? Never got past those in high school.
>>
File: Surreal lit.jpg (1 MB, 1697x2599) Image search: [Google]
Surreal lit.jpg
1 MB, 1697x2599
How accurate is this?
>>
File: tumblr_ls6si5nWiM1qzwdbco1_1280.jpg (500 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ls6si5nWiM1qzwdbco1_1280.jpg
500 KB, 800x450
>>7319678

Murakami by Micah Lidberg, 1/?
>>
>>7319689
Short stories are great, read in the penal colony.
>>
>>7319678
>Murakami by Micah Lidberg, 2/?
>>
File: 2033025.jpg (10 KB, 196x299) Image search: [Google]
2033025.jpg
10 KB, 196x299
>>7319696

This is legit, The Opposing Shore and The Hearing Trumpet are great.
>>
>>7319709

I remember this! It's where I learned the word for Epaulette, 19th century shoulder tassels. I don't think I ever finished it, may have to abandon thread to do that now.
>>
>>7319696
pretty accurate, but to add to it you should look up the writers chosen for Der Orchideengarten (German precursor to Weird Tales magazine), and the writers around the Symbolist and Expressionist movements which predate it slightly.
>>
>>7319767
Interesting. Any specific ones you'd recommend? Discussion on surreal/absurd lit always seems to get its feel of German with Kafka and forgets everything else beyond Zürn and Ernst.
>>
>>7319678
Someone should write a novel like, "The Hobbit gets kidnapped by Peter Pan and taken to Treasure Island."
>>
>>7319719
Actually, the opposing shore is mediocre.
>>
The Foundation Pit
>>
>>7319678
Can someone explain to me how Surrealism relates to Absurdism please? I've read Camus or Dostoevsky and I like Absurdism as an extension of Existentialism.
>>
>>7320457
It is. People link surrealism and absurdism because of the techniques they share, like arbitrary logic.
>>
Was this ever translated?
>>
>>7320412
If you can find it, Perutz's In between Nine and Nine (I'm not sure if that's the English title, it is easier to find in German) is a good novel. ETA Hoffmann of course featured, and it is easier to find his work in English, but he is horror and surreal, not surreal and as background horror like Perutz.

The Orchids Garden published a lot of the French horror tales of the time (Gautier's Dead Lover, which I think is in English as Clarimonde) and other psychological horrors works like Wells, Poe et al., so it could fit in art from their writers who were also illustrators, therefore it's a weird marriage of influence and homage, horror and the surreal.
Kubin did a lot of their blocks and his novel The other Side has a lot of the tone you'd find in a Gautier or Poe story with a rising sense of horror and increasing features of the absurd, but Perutz breaks through to the kind of dropped in the absurdity from the start most people associate more with Camus, or Kafka if they've only read Metamorphosis. If you prefer one kind to the other, choose accordingly.

I assume you might speak German, but if you are dependent on English translations, there's a recent translation of Zurn's, The Trumpets of Jericho. It's very weird, and probably as close as you'll get to the weirdness of her Man in Jasmine in English, now that is out of print.
>>
>>7320515
Noted,
As to German, it's been a while but I'll try to find Perutz. Cheers!
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.