[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Have struggled with a learning disability all my life, particularly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
File: 0035 - vkRsjGU.jpg (17 KB, 364x350) Image search: [Google]
0035 - vkRsjGU.jpg
17 KB, 364x350
>Have struggled with a learning disability all my life, particularly bad at maths.
>It takes me an hour to read 30 pages, and I have to reread things frequently so they "click".
>This makes reading extremely annoying, as it takes a long time to get through a single book, and I have alot of books I want to read.

Fucking sucks.
Had to deal with this shit in grade school and now I get to deal with it when doing things that are supposed to be done to escape shitty life.
>>
Being a dumb-dumb isn't a disability.
>>
>>7319559
Well there's that too.
You smart people don't know how truly shitty it is to be stupid.
>>
Are you actually stupid though? Or do you just suffer from a debilitating form of paranoia and imposter syndrome that makes working hard essentially impossible?
>>
I have the same problem sometimes. Have you tried adderall or any like ADD medicine? It doesn't sound like you're stupid it sounds like you can't focus.
>>
>>7319564
I don't think I'm stupid, but I think something is definitely not right. I can still understand shit, but it just takes more work. What exactly does it mean to be stupid?

>>7319565
I haven't tried any ADD medication. I'm afraid to actually, because my father was on Adderall and it turned him into a horrible, angry, abusive father.
>>
>>7319565
Actually on the subject of medication, I've been heavily depressed for the past two years, and I remember this shit getting worse to the point where it is now around that time as well.

Could DEPRESSION be causing this? Right now I kinda think I have bipolar. I'm going to a therapy appointment soon. I guess I could bring this shit up.

I'm almost tempted to try to get an MRI done somewhere, because it just doesn't feel right in my head.
>>
>>7319539
Try reading out loud for a while until you get your mind adjusted to the new task.
>>
>>7319574
Definitely bring this up with your therapist. Be careful with the prescription meds though, and try some other shit before you resort to them. Honestly, try smoking a little bit of weed and reading some neetsch or schoppy to see if you can straight up spook yourself out of your misery. It doesn't seem like you're stupid—what you probably need is better work ethic and some good study habits (re-reading, note-taking, etc)
>>
>>7319574
Yes, depression can definitely impair cognitive abilities. To quite a significant degree if it's chronic and advanced.
>>
try audio books. maybe you're an "auditory learner" or something.
also you have to ractice. it gets easier if you do it more often for longer periods of time
>>
>>7319539
>It takes me an hour to read 30 pages
That's still above average.
Don't believe /lit/'s delusions on reading 100 pages per hour.
>>
>>7319578
How do you develop those
>>
>>7319578
>neetsch
>schoppy
wat

Also, yeah I've thought of my problems just being caused by laziness. I'm a very reserved person, so reserved I often don't talk at all for days at a time or think much about things. That's the NEET life I guess. Getting a job soon though.

This isn't just for studying though, this is for any type of book. One time while reading Speaker for the Dead, I had to re-read a fucking page like 4 times until I went "oh that's what happened", and I forgot a character half way through. "is he the son or he daughter?"
>>
>>7319586
It's something I'm still working on. I have serious confidence issues when it comes to my intelligence. Just started my first year at a phd program at the #1 school for my major which doesn't fucking help in the slightest. What I'm realizing though, is that you can beat a solid 95% of people by simply working harder than them. You have to make sure you're not fucking around and convincing yourself that you're being productive though, which is tough.

The standard I try to shoot for when "understanding" something is to be able to reconstruct the argument doing a little work in your head a week later. This isn't memorization—It's actual understanding. It'll be hard as fuck at first, especially if you have shitty habits from years of greedy exploitation at school (cramming and the like), but I can tell you that it's fixable with enough work and discipline.
>>
>>7319539

A page every two minutes isn't too bad. That's a 300 page book in 10 hours. I have issues with losing concentration sometimes but if you get everything after you reread those parts you're doing okay.

If you have ADD and don't want to medicate you could try drinking coffee while reading. It helps some people concentrate.
>>
>>7319596
>drinking coffee
topkek my friend.

I drink a shit ton of soda, so much that it's caused me a nasty addiction, and a resistance to caffeine.

Holy shit I also just had to Google to spell "resistance".

I used to be a fucking great speller. I remember spelling shit that other people couldn't. I need some fuckin' help.
>>
>>7319592
I'm the neetsch anon. Really though, read some nietzsche. Maybe start with the gay science. It's very accessible and is basically a patrician self-help book.
>>
>>7319583
>Don't believe /lit/'s delusions on reading 100 pages per hour.
heh.
>>
>>7319539
Reading 30 pages of something complex is impressive though.

I can only get through about 5 pages/hour of The Recognitions, often less because I frequently need to read the annotations off of my phone or look up a word.
>>
>>7319604

I drink a shitload of soda too but it doesn't have the same effect as coffee. Maybe it's all the sugar, I don't know. Just try drinking three or four cups of black coffee.
>>
>>7319624
Also I'm diabetic.
Can't drink sugar. I just drink diet coke. Never was a big fan of coffee though, it always tasted like ass.
>>
>>7319539
Sounds like you just need to gitgud
>>
>>7319539
>an hour to read 30 pages
This is a good pace.
>>
>>7319539
Sounds like you probably have a short term memory disability, but 30 pages an hour is not a big deal at all. Maybe take very basic notes in the margins or something.

If you also have ADD just make sure you are reading shit that interests you and you'll be fine, maybe even at an advantage. there is something called "hyperfocus". Fight every urge to get up and do something else. Try caffeine also, it has the opposite effect on those with ADD and relaxes/slows the torrent of thoughts.

"Just keep reading" is the best advice. I can't sit still or focus in classrooms, listen to lectures, audiobooks, actually finish doing the dishes, etc. but through habit can now read for hours.

Reading a lot of books doesn't take special skills or talent really. Just free time
>>
>>7319667
Sounds good.
I think I have a 'mild' form of ADD. It would have maybe contributed to some of my problems in school.

The thing that is troubling me about school is: I was in the bottom bracket of my class when it came to math ALWAYS. I sucked at it, I barely made it by.

But when it came to other subjects, ESPECIALLY reading, I triumphed over everyone else in the class. Shit, there was one gifted(albeit egotistical) girl who everyone regarded as smarter than fuck, and I even beat the shit out of her in the big yearly test when it came to reading.

So that must mean my mental performance, atleast when it comes to reading, has degraded. This is troubling.
>>
>>7319628

I love the taste of ass and coffee and they aren't really similar.
>>
>>7319539
i envy you, if you can channel your slow reading into maximum detail then you can savour the experience and get more from the text than most other readers

i need to re-read things to fully understand them which i don't mind because i like a good comfy re-read but with some books i'd rather eke them out in one go
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.