[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I structure more cohesive sentences?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: elle's fashion.jpg (30 KB, 575x345) Image search: [Google]
elle's fashion.jpg
30 KB, 575x345
How do I structure more cohesive sentences?
>>
>>7318078
write until you stop emulating someone else and just write the same way you think and speak

that's when you'll become fluid and figure it out
>>
>>7318085
Alright, cheers!
>>
There is a book about writing that I found in an advertising book. It's pretty old, but has some pretty good tips. The mathematics are a little over-the-top, but you'll get the gist.

It's called The Art of Plain Talk by Rudolph Flesch
>>
>>7318078
Read more, take note of the authors syntax and look up and words you don't know. You should have learned English skills in high school and college so hopefully your grammar is fine. With more reading though everything improves.
>>
>>7318085
>just write the same way you think and speak
But I talk like a fag and my shit's all retarded.
>>
There's a book called Copy and Compose: A Guide to Prose Style by Winston Weathers and Otis Winchester. I believe it'd be helpful. I also suggest Artful Sentences: Syntax as Style by Virginia Tufte (or the earlier edition of the same book, Grammar as Style: Exercises in Creativity).
>>
File: 1443994713205.jpg (5 KB, 160x172) Image search: [Google]
1443994713205.jpg
5 KB, 160x172
>>7319493
same tbqh
>>
>>7319493
>>7319625
guess what, your writing is coming from the mind of a retarded faggot then

could be a great novel actually. Mentally handicapped AND seeking relations with men. Seeing the mental aspect play out compared to what the verbal would be could be lovely
>>
>>7319635
I don't write, I compose music.

I'd just like to get better at communicating in text.
>>
>>7319642
making music and writing are the same thing

you imitate someone else, you research/observe many many styles, synthesize them and reinterpret in a way you like, and voila, you'll more often than not have your own little style

/spoiler i make music too spoiler/
>>
>>7319650
I make academic music, I deal more with phenomena, physics and logic, often very into pure abstraction.

I've never been good with words, but I wonder if this could be part of the reason I can't think well in a narrative manner.
>>
Read. Read. Read.

Then write. And then read more.
>>
>>7319664
don't ever call what you make academic music please

i don't care if you're using non-euclidian shapes as inspiration and processing them through a Texas Instruments calculator

just call it whatever it actually is

anyway, some people aren't made for words. If you have nothing to say, don't try to make yourself speak. you'll simply clutter things up for the rest of us
>>
>>7319675
I'm a conservatory educated composer though, does that not make me an academic composer?

And yes I agree, it disgusts me too. That's why I've taken a year off.
>>
>>7319692
nah dude you're just a composer. Labeling yourself otherwise seems a bit silly. It's like putting the Dr in front of your name in the phonebook or something just because you have a doctorate in english
>>
>>7319635
would read
>>
>>7319707
It's generally simply used to distinguish oneself from film music or jazz/pop composers, that is to denote that one works within the tradition of western art music.
>>
>>7319715
But would it really be necessary to differentiate from those? If someone in a jazz or rock composition context were to work within that same tradition of western art, would they fall into this?

Semantics i know, but i love playing this game
>>
>>7319721
It implies different kind of skill sets. It is by no means done to elevate what I do but is simply used for clarity.
>>
>>7319493
>But I talk like a fag and my shit's all retarded.

already sold on whatever you write based on that line.
>>
>>7318078
I was working at a show where she was doing a run-way

needless to say i hit that
>>
>>7319635
Dhalgren?
>>
>>7320550
Not OP, but I'm pretty sure that's a film reference.
>>
>>7318078
As a general rule, in addition to just absorbing other styles, it's usually pretty good to avoid using too many grammatical words (ie closed category words like prepositions, auxiliary verbs, conjunctions, etc) and long dependent clauses. It's fine to use them sparingly, but overstructuring sentences leads to the reader just seeing a mess of grammar without anything particularly evocative or memorable.

Be concise. The more you can say in fewer words, the clearer your prose will be. That said, be sure to vary your sentence structure or it will read like a four year old wrote it.
>>
>>7318078
ADD ADJECTIVES
>>
>>7320636
the fuck is wrong with you
>>
Always begin with a capital and end with a punctuation mark.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.