[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on Hemingway's novels? His best? His worst?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6
File: hway8.jpg (181 KB, 842x1024) Image search: [Google]
hway8.jpg
181 KB, 842x1024
Thoughts on Hemingway's novels?

His best? His worst?
>>
I've only read A Farewell to Arms. It was good, but I don't know if I think that because I like that kind of depressive, real life, love stories. I do feel that Hemingway tried to make Henry a bit too badass to be real, and his relationship with Miss Barkley was too perfect and idealistic. Not my favorite, but it was good. I'd like to read Old Man and the Sea and For Whom the bell Tolls.
>>
my official rankings of the ones I read

The Sun Also Rises
A Farewell to Arms
For Whom the Bell Tolls
The Old Man and the Sea
Islands in the Stream
A Movable Feast
To Have and Have Not
Green Hills of Africa

I havent read, Death in the Afternoon or The Garden of Eden or Across the River and Into the Trees

I think he was a better short story writer than novelist.
>>
File: Hemingway.jpg (105 KB, 1330x541) Image search: [Google]
Hemingway.jpg
105 KB, 1330x541
>>
File: 39315722.jpg (148 KB, 500x418) Image search: [Google]
39315722.jpg
148 KB, 500x418
>>7316896
I thought For Whom the Bell Tolls was way better than A Farewell to Arms.

For Whom is like a freight train accident that you can see coming a mile away but can't help.

Farewell was twists and turns till the end, but anyone can write that kind of thrill.
>>
all belong exclusively in le trash. if you like
>hebiday xD
you should cease to exist, that is simply a fact.
>>
>>7316860
Hemmingway*

also they're all shit-tier.
>>
I've only read For Whom The Bell Tolls and A Farewell To Arms, but I really liked both of them. I really liked A Farewell To Arms, although it's hard to explain why I liked it, I just thought it had a really interesting plot and I liked the characters.

I liked For Whom the Bell Tolls for many reasons, but one of the things I really liked about it was how at the beginning Robert Jordan was really passionate about fighting on the Republican side against the fascists, but as the novel progressed, he became increasingly disillusioned with the Republican side, to the point where he started to have a pretty negative view of both the Republican side and the fascist side.
>>
>>7319062
>>7319033
wen u cant read but u post about books anyways
>>
>>7319703
>all of /lit/
>>
10/10

>The Sun Also Rises
>A Farewell to Arms
>For Whom the Bell Tolls
>>
sun also rises, farewell to arms and for whom the bell tolls are very good, "normal" books, I would definitely recommend them

old man and the sea is a completely different animal. personally I think it stands head and shoulders above the rest of hemmingway's oeuvre, but I can also see why someone would dislike it.

it's almost japanese in the way it subscribes to the idea of "simplicity is the ultimate beauty". it's a flawless book(doesn't mean it's "perfect"), it's like a musical piece where a few simple melodies form a complex harmony and become far greater than the sum of the individual parts, it's mythological, it's a parable without being heavy-handed, it hits something deep in the unconscious, it's a return to the roots of storytelling, heartfelt and sincere tale, the experience of an old man of his time on earth compressed to 200 pages.
>>
>>7319955
>it's japanese
lolno
>>
>>7319992
it's "almost japanese", learn to read

though in retrospect better word would be "japanesque"
>>
>>7319997
>japanesesque
Lolno
>>
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 480x270
>>7319997
Hemingway was American, he was not even a little bit Japanese.
>>
>>7319997
>this projecting weeb
>>
>>7316860
Moby dick was pretty good
>>
>>7320016
>
>>
>>7320001

His dick was Japanese.
>>
>>7320030
It was hueg you retar
>>
>>7320036

No it wasn't. That's why he spent all his time trying to prove how manly he was.
>>
>>7320049
I'm going to go........ 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
hemingway is a fantastic novelist
>>
File: Hemingway_chart.jpg (87 KB, 1583x439) Image search: [Google]
Hemingway_chart.jpg
87 KB, 1583x439
>>7316860
>>
>>7316860
>Best
The Old Man and the Sea
>His worst
the rest of his work
>>
For sale: baby shoes, never worn
>>
File: 1444319887952.png (45 KB, 527x487) Image search: [Google]
1444319887952.png
45 KB, 527x487
Jesus Christ, this whole thread is a fucking car crash.

I knew /lit/ was going downhill, but I didn't realise things were this bad.

We should all be ashamed of ourselves.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.