[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do I find him so easy to relate to despite never having been
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 9780141182667.jpg (331 KB, 824x1370) Image search: [Google]
9780141182667.jpg
331 KB, 824x1370
Why do I find him so easy to relate to despite never having been religious?
>>
>>7316528
We all have things we worship.
>>
Everybody worships.
>>
he's not religious in the book.
>>
>>7316594
Nah
>>
>>7316601
He is for a lot of it?
>>
>>7316644
no. at his most "religious", he's scared of fire and brimstone as a kid but most of the "religiosity" is taken in an ironic, skeptical tone and is done in academic/formalized settings.
>>
>>7316687
Tread carefully bro, you're skirting dangerously close to a /his/ topic

You wouldn't want me to report this thread, would you?
>>
>>7316687
If I remember the book properly, there was a period of time where Stephen was considering the clergy before Deciding to gtfo

OP, you probably relate because it's about the genesis of a young man and his craft
>>
>>7316700
Why don't you just go with the rest of your pals to your containment board instead of hanging around here grumbling?
>>
>>7316528

How'd you like it? I'll be reading it in a few weeks. What do I have to look forward to?

>>7316594

Great meme man, I laugh every time xD
>>
>>7316716
It's a great bok.
>>
>>7316706
his fascination with the clergy is all about the rituals, the cloaks of deacons, the prestige, the power. nothing really about the religion. maybe i'm too rigid in the distinction but i don't see any actual piety in stephen.

>>7316700
please do. it's a mediocre book by a puffed up writer t b h so seems like perfect /his/ material
>>
>>7316716
I enjoyed it, some really nice passages and I found it very relatable. There was a lot that I didn't understand, but that didn't make it unreadable. Looking forward to coming back to it one day.
>>
>>7316764
For Catholics, the privilege, power, rituals are the piety
>>
>>7316528
finish the book OP
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.