[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, I am 22 and I have read a lot when I was a teenager.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: 216224.jpg (685 KB, 1081x1769) Image search: [Google]
216224.jpg
685 KB, 1081x1769
Hey guys, I am 22 and I have read a lot when I was a teenager. I am a very cynical and a person of critique. I am also a non-native English speaker, and I am trying to get through ''The Last of the Mohicans''. It is really difficult for me, both the language and all the descriptions, with 2 page long descriptions of how some man stood. My attention span is very bad (I have bi polar). How would you suggest reading this book or should I not read it? How would you rate it guys?
>>
>>7316054
>non-native English speaker
Deport yourself.
>>
>>7316061
I live in my home country, in Eastern Europe :)
>>
>>7316054
>I am a very cynical and a person of critique

sounds like me

I'm nihilistic with a wicked sense of humor
>>
>>7316063
My bad thought you weren't white.

I would not read this book. Older American literature can have excessive amounts of description which can be hard if English is difficult.

What kind of books do you like? I can make suggestions.
>>
Has anybody read that book? I have had it recommended to me by my lecturer (he is here from United States). I am into a quarter of the book, yet I am still thinking if I should watch the movie/ read a long review of the plot rather than read the remaining 300 pages.
>>
>>7316075
Just watch the movie desu senpai.

Read Moby Dick if you want classic American lit.
>>
>>7316071
hm, 1984 and Brave New World- English literature.
Russian- Crime and Punishment.
Yeah I hate the long descriptions due to what I mentioned in my OP.
>>
>>7316080
Anything by Ernest Hemingway. He writes in pretty short sentences and doesn't waste your time.
>The Sun Also Rises
>The Old Man and the Sea
Those are my two favorites.

I also recommend The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Just that book though, the rest of his books have a ton of description.
>>
>>7316078
What does desu senpai mean? I am very rare on these boards, sorry.
>>
>>7316092
Thanks man. I heard from one youtube I respect that Hemingway is amazing, and he writes the kind of things that are interesting even to people above 20 (who have a brain).

By the way guys, I have never read P.Coelho myself, from what I heard in people's reviews of him, it is ''philosophy/psychology'' for the intelligence-deprived. How right/wrong am I?
>>
>>7316108
*youtuber
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (11 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
11 KB, 259x194
>>7316105
>I am very rare
>>
>>7316144
:D
>>
>>7316149
XD
>>
>>7316054

Read more recent stuff. Part of being a book reading person is finding out what you like and don't like. You're not going to like every book. The more you read, the better you get at picking books.

>>7316105

Our new admin has done that word switching thing, like how faggot used to turn into candy-ass and duck into roll or something. I know you can't say desu anymore. Can you say kek? Kek.
>>
Which country OP?
>>
>>7316198
Lithuania.
>>
>>7316194
I just feel sort of stupid when I can't make myself read smth like Last of the Mohicans or Macciaveli, Plato. I remember one of my past friends telling me that without reading books like that, I will never become a respected member in society, especially with well educated people.
>>
>>7316054
Don;t beat yourself up. Cooper's books can be a bit of a chore even if you speak English.
>>
>>7316856
I mean I understand the language completely but for some minor old words. My problem with the book is not my vocabulary, but rather the long, deep, and in my opinion- unnecessary detalisations of something happening or some objects. For example I have read through 60 pages by now, and I still don't remember how many people are in the group, who they are, who did they kill etc. However when I googled "plot" I immediately realized what and how it was.
>>
>>7316863
Cooper's writing could be described as "flowery," as was most fiction in those days. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but that's just my opinion.
>>
>>7316075
I have actually read it, it has some moments of brilliance, but those are few and far between. Some of the descriptions are beautiful, some of the action stuff is engaging, but mostly it's quite disjointed and boring, frankly.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.