[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any books which emphasise the feeling of being alone? It doesn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
Any books which emphasise the feeling of being alone? It doesn't need to be a direct theme of the book. Maybe the main character who wanders quietly or calmly around and have musings that feel distinctly his, but all that feels somehow as if he is alone. Stuff like that. Preferably the book isn't edgy or about misery of a guy.
>>
>>7314234
Invisible Man
>>
Alastor, or
>the Spirit of Solitude

pretty dank op
>>
>>7314255
Terrible meme
>>
>>7314269
I'll double down on that.
>>
>>7314234

The Book of Disquiet
>>
I am John von Dorf. Deals with inability to relate to peers as a result of being displaced from people that you can relate to, but ultimately ends up revealing that the protagonist is trying to relate in vain, because he can't even relate to his childhood friends.
>>
>>7314970
>Preferably the book isn't edgy or about misery of a guy.
>>
File: 1428552480284.jpg (69 KB, 480x659) Image search: [Google]
1428552480284.jpg
69 KB, 480x659
>>7316751
>>
>>7316785

It's not edgy, and yeah I guess it's about the "misery of a guy," but it's not angsty at all, which is what I assume you want to avoid. It's very contemplative and thoughtful.
>>
>>7314234
I Am Legend.
>>
Wittgenstein's Mistress is literally this
>>
>>7316804
It's pretty fucking angsty.

>I'm physically nauseated by commonplace humanity
>Slavery is the only law of life
>Nobody understands me, wahh

If that's not angsty, I don't know what is.
>>
>>7316938
with an emphasis against misery. Even in the passages that allude to suffering there's no appeal to emotion
>>
>>7316938
Yes. This. Amazing book.
>>
>>7314234
My diary 2bh
>>
Robinson Crusoe. Better than you think...though not great...
>>
>>7314262
>>7315287
>>7314269
>>7315287
I don't want books with themes mainly about loneliness

>>7314970
Too miserable and seems angsty. I tried reading it for hundred pages, but all there was ironic humour and boring apathy to everything.
>>7316938
Saw some good responses so I will probably check it out.
>>7317054
This probably hits closest from what I know. Maybe being stranded lays hood ground for being alone, but the idea is that the protag doesn't reflect a lot about it, he just does what he does. Something that let's you to reflect on loneliness. See the movie Coraline, for example, tough where she meets various characters, she still gives off a feeling of being alone in all the events and surroundings.
>>
>>7314234
Walden
>>
>>7317054
Robinson Crusoe is white supremacist trash and y'all know it.
>>
>>7317498
>written in the 18th century
>white supremacist
What a shock!
>>
>>7317460
This
>>
>>7317607
Kill yourself, retard.
>>
>>7317460
Didn't felt like it at all. Actually, he constantly kept looking at people to say what a better and more enlightened person he is.
>>
>>7314234
Kokoro by Soseki.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.