[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How many times must one read a text in order to appreciate it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (14 KB, 191x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14 KB, 191x300
How many times must one read a text in order to appreciate it like a painting or a song?
>>
Infinity
Think about it
>>
Twelve
Think about it
>>
>>7313615
>>7313625
>tfw I expected serious replies
>>
>>7313642
How many times must you look at a picture or hear a song to appreciate it?

Sometimes once is enough, sometimes twice is too many and you begin to lose appreciation. Sometimes you never get it, sometimes you get more each time. Depends upon the work.
>>
>>7313597
Nabokov has said that the second time you read a book is actually the first time. He theorized that the first read-through is simply you getting acquainted with it. I can link the essay where he talks about this, if you want.
>>
>>7313750
I always read a summary before I read a book so the first time won't be as pointless.
>>
A few times
>>
>>7313756
that's pretty dumb senpai
>>
>>7313750
Do you have a link to this? I'd love to read it.
>>
How many times do you have to watch a film in order to appreciate it like a video game?
>>
>>7313597
>The Picture of Dorian Gray
>The picture is of Franz Liszt
>>
almost once
>>
>>7313750
Please link it
>>
>>7314223
In virtually all paperback classics that have a historical portrait on the cover, the picture does not depict the protagonist of the novel.
>>
>>7314550
Yeah but they should stop using well known composers in the age of the internet
>>
>>7313597
The absolute lower limit of viewings is two.
The same is true for a painting or a song.
>>
>>7313597
shit book.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.