[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are they good, as far as genre fiction goes?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 14
File: songboxset.jpg (59 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
songboxset.jpg
59 KB, 450x450
Are they good, as far as genre fiction goes?
>>
kys

my man
>>
>>7311234
thanks family
>>
First three are good if you like fantasy. They probably suck more if you've seen the television show.
>>
No, GRRM is really a horrible writer.
>>
>>7311232
>genre fiction
>good
>>
>>7311249
Are you saying the show is better than the books?

Geniunely curious.
>>
>>7311859
Maybe for the first few because they are so horribly loyal to the books, they are just the books on screen which is really the style they were written in. After that, they're not really comparable in my opinion to be honest famille.
>>
>>7311249
The first three are probably the poorest and TV reflects the books a lot, so they are less enjoyable for people who have watched the TV show than the latter books.
>>
>>7311859

I haven't seen the show but it seems like it would be a lot less interesting if you know everything that happens.
>>
I read the first three books and am up to date on the show, and I feel like they work much better as a TV show. The way Martin writes can be confusing and seems muddled, like there's a ton of minor characters that only appear a couple of times each,, yet he'll go to great lengths to describe their backstories and other kinda irrelevant details about them.

As far as fantasy novels go, they're different than your run-of-the-mill fantasy. I'd guess they fall into a subcategory of "political fantasy" as they're more about intrigue than your average knights and magic-themed fantasy.

Overall I wouldn't recommend them to someone asking for a god fantasy novel, but they're solid and they show is really really good.

That's my 2 cents.
>>
>>7311232
What's the point of this thread don't you just fucking read shit if you want to know if it's good or not?
>Do the faggot anons who trick people into thinking they are good judges of literature aprove of this so i can make up my mind whether i like it or not?
>>
>>7311885
You hit the nail on the head, anon. I really don't need to know what the fuck everyone is wearing and their history. I do enjoy his over description of the food though lol.
>>
>>7311232
Decent but overrated.
>>
yeah they're pretty good, overrated tho
>>
File: 02-Jaime-Lannister.jpg (59 KB, 700x506) Image search: [Google]
02-Jaime-Lannister.jpg
59 KB, 700x506
>>7311859
the show was pretty faithful up until this last season. Then the show created some of its own story lines that just failed due to their bad writing.
pic incredibly related.
>>
File: Meme Wolfe.jpg (133 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Meme Wolfe.jpg
133 KB, 600x600
>genre fiction
>>
>>7311859

I would say that without a doubt. The books are decent for the kind of fantasy they are. I wouldn't waste my time reading them though simply due to the length.

The show is very well made (though not always well written) and the main thing holding them is that they are based on a sprawling mess of a novel series. Most of the butt hurt you see written about it is from people that enjoyed the books - which aren't very well written. So you can disregard their opinion.
>>
File: riverrun-630x473.jpg (102 KB, 630x473) Image search: [Google]
riverrun-630x473.jpg
102 KB, 630x473
>>7312442
At least they are somehow salvaging Jaime's AFFC storyline in season six. It's better than nothing I suppose.
>>
They are worth a read. The show is also amazing, but the people on /r/asoiaf will chop your dick off if you say otherwise. The narrative becomes a fucking mess by book 4 and everything is left unfinished, and the show tried its hardest to work around that while planning ahead because it's going to finish in the next 3 years.

Hopefully they do Jaime's Riverrun arc justice in Season 6.

Don't fal for the >genre fiction lit meme, those people are usualy massive autistic faggots, enjoy the books. They are decent fantasy in a sea of shit.
>>
I mostly read literary fiction but I still enjoyed the ASOIAF books. Martin writes much better characters than most genre writers. The story isn't completely vacuous either; there are actually some notable themes propelling the whole saga.

Re. the show, I didn't like it at all. The showrunners essentially ironed over all of the nuances that make the books good, and the dialogue, which is one of the strong points of the book series, becomes totally stilted. There are some real bad actors in the show too.
>>
they are pretty bad even by genre fiction standards.

GRRM forbid fanfiction of his work because he is afraid someone would outdo him. A realistic fear imo.
>>
>>7312442
The show went off the rails in season 3 and hasn't been faithful since.
>>
>>7312442
Kek
Are there more of these?
>>
They're good as far as genre fiction goes, but that's not saying much since so much fantasy fiction is terrible.

Martin's prose and choice of language can be very cringeworthy (see: almost every sex scene) but he does a great job of creating a living, breathing fantasy universe. Most of the characters are well-written and very complex, and I appreciate his attempts to subvert almost all typical fantasy tropes and cliches.

That being said the last two books were a complete clusterfuck and the show is absolute garbage
>>
File: dDrkK74.jpg (489 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
dDrkK74.jpg
489 KB, 1200x900
>>7313291
>>
File: 01-tcNf5a6.png (92 KB, 700x793) Image search: [Google]
01-tcNf5a6.png
92 KB, 700x793
>>7313291
i gotcha
>>
File: 04-The-North-Remembers-.jpg (68 KB, 700x547) Image search: [Google]
04-The-North-Remembers-.jpg
68 KB, 700x547
>>7313465
>>
File: 05-Tyrion-Lannister.jpg (38 KB, 599x397) Image search: [Google]
05-Tyrion-Lannister.jpg
38 KB, 599x397
>>7313469
>>
File: 06-The-Thenns.jpg (39 KB, 700x506) Image search: [Google]
06-The-Thenns.jpg
39 KB, 700x506
>>7313476
>>
>>7313482
>>
>>7311232
I'd say great by contemporary fantasy standards, but George Martin is a better story teller than he is a writer. If you like fantasy they definitely are for you, but if you're not into the genre it will not change your mind.
>>
File: 08-Loras-Tyrell.jpg (58 KB, 700x648) Image search: [Google]
08-Loras-Tyrell.jpg
58 KB, 700x648
>>7313507
>>
File: 09-Sansa-Stark.jpg (47 KB, 599x493) Image search: [Google]
09-Sansa-Stark.jpg
47 KB, 599x493
>>7313509
this ones my favorite
>>
>>7313476

This one is my favorite.

There's something I didn't understand about A Dance With Dragons: Why did Tyrion trick Young Griff into going back to Westeros? What was he going to gain by doing that?
>>
File: hacks.png (221 KB, 836x618) Image search: [Google]
hacks.png
221 KB, 836x618
>>
Holy crap I always thought the show was an OK adaption, but these pics really make you see how much better the books are. In the show runners' defense, the story HAD to be dumbed down if they were ever going to survive.
>>
>>7313476

Meh, Tyrion gets drunk as shit in ADWD as well.
>>
>>7311232
WHEN ARE THE NEW ONES COMING OUT

FUCK YOU MARTIN YOU USELESS HACK
>>
>>7313314
TWENTY

GOOD

MEN
>>
>>7314065

Ellaria was given Arriane's role in the show.
>>
Nah, they're not that good, the first two are boring, the third one is acceptable, and the last two start sucking again big time.
The author can't write for shit, he's formulaic and gets fixated with the most useless details.
Still he created a neat, although not original, setting.
There are also a few good characters, like Jaimie for example.
>>
They're fun, trashy fantasy novels. You're not missing out on much by not reading them, but they are entertaining.

I can't say there's much reason to read them though if you've followed the TV show.
>>
>>7316275
Arianne tried to crown Myrcella, not kill/mutilate her so what's your point
>>
File: index.jpg (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
7 KB, 225x225
ive read them .. and i love them ... the show sucks

im hyped for book 6 :)
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.