[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is there anything good in this genre
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 4
File: slice-of-life-4.jpg (122 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
slice-of-life-4.jpg
122 KB, 900x600
is there anything good in this genre
>>
I really liked The Iliad, Beowulf was a bit too mundane though.
>>
>>7308245
>too mundane
no such thing senpai
>>
>>7308251
did you delete your comment and reply again you sneaky chap
>>
>>7308255
yeah but i forgot about the stupid fucking /a/ shit word filtering
>>
>>7308256
idk what that is desu, assume some word got changed to senpai?
>>
>>7308261
desu senpai, im sick of getting kek
>>
>>7308269
>>7308275

done, why would they do this to our memes? desu baka senpai
>>
>>7308280
you used to call me on your cell phone
>>
>>7308282
why you bringing drake into this senpai
>>
>>7308287
That song is pretty much slice of life desu
>>
>>7308288
too true desu
>>
Shame the best of Sol is anime and graphic novels. Try Shortcomings op.
>>
>>7308314
True. It sucks because I could probably name a few shows that really nail the idleness and joys of SoL. But any book I can think of is just not great when compared against them. A lot of books try too much to be about something, when SoL is really supposed to be about nothing important. It's weird to try and grok but SoL is all about simple stuff and being happy with it. No the the trails and adventures we see in other genres.

Though for me it just a lot more black and white as far a genres go. Idk why I chose this hill to fight on.
>>
Dubliners?
>>
Norwegian Wood
>>
do bret easton ellis's books count?

debatable if theyre good though
>>
slice of life is not a real genre.
>>
>>7309784
it is
>>
>>7310738
its not
>>
>>7311960
Sure it is.
>>
>>7311990
No it fucking isn't. Define it. Really, any story can be sol. It's too vague.
>>
>>7311999
Fiction or nonfiction depicting the average life some person or animal.

Any story can't be slice of life because it precludes large adventures. If the story is about a series of atypical events happening to some character then it doesn't count since it is not a slice of their life but a separate part of their life.
>>
>>7312049
too vague
o
o

v
a
g
u
e
>>
>>7312055
Yeah, so is fantasy. What do you want?
>>
File: madame.jpg (198 KB, 846x1386) Image search: [Google]
madame.jpg
198 KB, 846x1386
>>7308251
>>
Winesburg Ohio
Dandelion Wine
>>
>>7308227
K-On! light novels.
>>
CHEKHOV
H
E
K
O
V
>>
>>7308227
.....death of a salesman?
>>
Tsuriotsu
>>
Slice of life doesn't really make good literature. It is static and uneventful. It works well for endless, episodic, gentle drama like anime or soap opera but most books have a beginning middle and end, a rise and a fall, the dramatic event that is the focus of the story and changes things fundamentally.

It's also would be quite dull to read, would work more as a visual drama, light popcorny fare, but there would be little tension and motivation to read endless texts where little happens.

There's lots of large family saga works that go on for many novels but they are only superficially like slice of life, or there are timeless works like sherlock holmes where the same character and situation is basically reused but that's not much like slice of life either.
>>
Ulysses.
>>
>>7312949
so after all these years, i've finally found what anime is better than literature at
>>
>>7312893
no
>>
>>7308299
senpai
>>
>>7312949
What if the theme of the novel is precisely about how mundane the world is? Does it really need big things to happen?
>>
>>7316787
Do you have any examples? Suppose there might be novels like that but all the ones about the mundane usually have something cool going on to contrast with the boring, something just out of grasp to make the boring deeper.

Then again slice of life aren't really boring they are rather realistically small scale but not painfully dull. Watching everyday things happen hold a fascination for most people, reading about them would soon get old.
>>
File: yui_isis.jpg (63 KB, 768x768) Image search: [Google]
yui_isis.jpg
63 KB, 768x768
K-on! is really good. Give it a try.
>>
>>7316814
Most examples I can think of are japanese and untranslated but the good ones often play around primarily with the "genre conventions" by focusing on things like narrative/character voices, subversing generic situations, parodying, adding more humor, and so on. A well-done example would be daitoshokan while the most generic possible would be mizuiro. Other works may take it to an extreme and attempt to be an antithesis (thinking of oretsuba here). In general otaku culture explores very extensively slice-of-life but most people aren't that aware because they can only indulge in anime, while SoL has dominated visual novels for more than a decade now.
>>
>>7317191
Why are nips the only people who write good sol?
>>
Stoner? Well it's not so much a slice...
>>
File: 6096464.jpg (31 KB, 318x445) Image search: [Google]
6096464.jpg
31 KB, 318x445
>>7308227
he said it's supposed to convey the feeling of time passing and i believe that's what it does
>>
>>7309402
Less than Zero and American Psycho are definitely slice of life. They are also good :)
>>
>>7312949
soap opera is not slice of life.
>books have a beginning middle and end, a rise and a fall
You learn that in grade 5 english class?
>>
>>7316814
The Pale King is about mundanity.
>>
I am a cat.
>>
>>7317350
I don't believe you.
>>
>>7308227
not outside anime/vn/manga
>>
>>7317350
this
absolutely
>>
>>7308227
senpai
>>
>>7315570
fuck you
yes it is
>>
is c-u-c-k censored?
kek
>>
kekold
>>
C-U-C-K-O-L-D

kekold
>>
>>7308227
desu kek senpai
>>
>>7308227
Ulysses DESU.
>>
Smh kek
>>
my diary desu
>>
>>7308227
If you're not allergic to manga: YKK, Aria, Yotsuba, and Azumanga Daioh are fine staples.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.