[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this novella any good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: Coraline.jpg (31 KB, 429x648) Image search: [Google]
Coraline.jpg
31 KB, 429x648
Is this novella any good?
>>
>>7237980
>Neil Gaiman
No.
>>
>>7237980
Yes. But only for a certain type of person. Consider the fact that although lit Is a hivemind the real world is not.
>>
>>7237987
Okay. Anything you want to recommend with good quality writing and which isn't past 2000?
>>
>>7237980
It's fine. Grimdark Alice in Wonderland for young adults. Not super innovative but not poorly done either.

>>7238004
Are you looking for fantasy? The SF/F thread is pretty good. Otherwise it's hard to respond, there are dozens of books with good quality writing published since 2000. I usually get the impression that /lit/ doesn't read much contemporary stuff but I do, let me know what you're looking for and I'll try to help.
>>
>>7238059
Good quality science fiction is a plus. Azimov, Clarke, Huxley(BNW), Bradbury(F451), Voggenut( Slauterhouse-Five) Catch-22, Gibson(Neuromancer), House of Leaves kind of stuff that shouldn't be past 2000… Also, fantasy but kind of the Sandman series.
>>
>>7238149
Okay, I know all of those except Sandman pretty well. Does "past 2000" mean before 2000 or after? I'll answer you both ways:

>pre-2000
Ursula Le Guin - The Dispossessed, The Left Hand of Darkness, Earthsea series
Gene Wolfe - The Fifth Head of Cerberus
Philip K. Dick - The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

>post-2000
China Mieville - The City & the City, Embassytown, Bas-Lag series
Kim Stanley Robinson - 2312
Iain M. Banks - Culture series

Hope this helps or you get at least one new idea from my suggestions
>>
I bought it for my 12 year old niece last christmas and she really liked it.
>>
>>7238275
"Shouldn't" meaning after 2000.

>China Mieville - The City & the City, >Embassytown, Bas-Lag series
>Kim Stanley Robinson - 2312
>Iain M. Banks - Culture series

Thanks you so much for the recommandation. I'll check them all out.
>>
>>7238149
Babbys first science fiction authors right here folks
>>
>>7238275
>recommending 2312
>not recommending mars trilogy
Edgecore
>PKD
>listing his shit
lel
He wrote one good book, The Man in the High Castle. Everything else was rushed with no revision and under the influence of amphetamines which finally rotted his brain and caused a series of psychotic episodes.
>>
>>7238373
KSR I only did that way because that way I could slot him into "post-2000."

Man in the High Castle is one of his best books but it doesn't fit as comfortably into "science fiction" as the rest of his work. Even that one is sloppy in some ways. PKD is a mixed bag but on the whole definitely worth reading.
>>
File: storiesofyourlife.jpg (54 KB, 322x500) Image search: [Google]
storiesofyourlife.jpg
54 KB, 322x500
>>7238340
Happy to help. Try Ted Chiang too if you like SF short stories
>>
>>7238373
>mars trilogy
added to my reading list with 2312

>>7238423
Thanks m8 and much appreciated.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.