[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nearly a decade of 4chan has turned me into a person motivated
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: seinfeld end my life.jpg (21 KB, 408x352) Image search: [Google]
seinfeld end my life.jpg
21 KB, 408x352
Nearly a decade of 4chan has turned me into a person motivated only by contrarianism.

What can I read to make myself stop?
>>
>>7236541
Is it really 4chan that has made you like this, or is that you were like this when you were a teenager and browsing /b/ for the first time that you found something you could identify with. Were you the kind of kid who was always a bit of an outsider, somebody who just didn't quite gel with the cool thing? So as a coping mechanism you were like 'Fuck this, I'm gonna go do my own thing.' and then you found yourself on the contrarian path as a defense mechanism?

Hell, I'm just projecting my situation on to you here, but maybe it might be helpful. When I came to realise this about myself, I was better able to combat my contrarian attitudes by being conscious of making rational decisions. Breaking long term habits is hard, but to be honet what you really should aim to do is leave 4chan if you don't want to be bound to its sensibilities. You can either embrace it and enjoy being a smug troll man, or you can fight it and eternally battle the demons imprinted onto your mind.
>>
>>7236541

Really? I was a contrarian when I first started visiting this site 6 or 7 years ago, but that slowly changed as I aged and learned.
>>
>>7236541
reverse-contrarianism is even worse than contrarianism. The only way out is actually learning to think by yourself instead of basing your opinions in what-you-think-other-people-are-thinking.
>>
>>7236604
The fuck is reverse contrarianism? I just want to be a genuine human being
>>
>>7236617
>The fuck is reverse contrarianism?
adopting the identity of a 'reasonable' 'mature' non-contrarian person who has competely 'outgrown' the desire to be critical 'for the sake of it'. tbh, inauthentic posturing, most of the time it's simply another way to avoid questioning one's worldview while maintaining a sense of superiority, much like the contrarian who believes himself to be an enlighthened man free from the herd.
>>
>>7236648
Goes well with posts including the words 'kid', 'son', and the phrases 'I remember being like you', 'when you grow up you' et cetera.

Mostly used by people in their mid twenties to early thirties as a half-assed attempt to escape bleakness, nihilism and edginess by LARPing a 1950's dad.
>>
>>7236617
How will you force authenticity? Sounds inherently artificial to me.
>>
what are you contrarian about i dont get it
>>
>>7236541
>What can I read to make myself stop?
>>>/adv/now_fuck_off
>>
>>7236617

You need to gain more self-confidence. The reason you dislike things that are popular is because you want a reason to feel different and superior to everyone else. However, you never gain the satisfaction you're looking for so you continue your contrarian ways.

As for how you can become more confident, I'm not sure. Don't be afraid to like things that other people do, though, even if 4chan doesn't. Do you love Game of Thrones? Great! It'll be even easier for you to find people to connect with.
>>
>>7236648
I'm not interested in posturing or how I seem to people. I'm worried about my beliefs being founded on nothing but the desire to disagree with people.

>>7236665
I don't know that's why I"m asking
>>
>>7236648

This is fucking stupid. You're just desperately trying to find reasons to feel superior to others even when, deep down in your mind, you know that being a contrarian is ridiculous.
>>
>>7236680

I just want to say that I really respect you for acknowledging this and wishing to change and become a better person.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.