[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where could I find the best translation for the Romance of Three
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 1444359097626.jpg (64 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1444359097626.jpg
64 KB, 640x480
Where could I find the best translation for the Romance of Three Kingdoms?
>>
China
>>
>>7235113
Everywhere but China.
>>
>>7235113
>>7235144
Let me rephrase the question: who wrote the best translation of the Romance of Three Kingdoms?
>>
Boom. Pouncing on this and expanding it into a general thread on Chinese literature both Classic and Modern.
>>
>>7235104
Avoid Brewitt-Taylor, he uses Tsao-Tsao instead of Cao-Cao, and expand on that shit for every character you recognize from other media. I dont know much about Chinese, but I know that this is not the commonly used one.

>>7235219
Outlaws of the Marsh makes me cum, Mo Yan's Sandalwood Death is on my top 5 list. Chronicle of a Blood Merchant is way overrated or badly translated.
>>
>>7235269
Also, after brief (and i mean brief) Moss Roberts version is the one from the Foreign Languages Press in Beijing, and their translations of Outlaws and Journey to the West is super readable and fun. Wiki likes him too.
>>
File: Sun_Wukong_by_d_X2.jpg (359 KB, 700x505) Image search: [Google]
Sun_Wukong_by_d_X2.jpg
359 KB, 700x505
>>7235219
I love Journey to the West. My introduction to was Arthur Waley's Monkey. Any other recommended reading?
>>
>>7235269
Who do you recommend?
>>
>>7235984
Moss Roberts

http://www.amazon.com/Three-Kingdoms-Chinese-Classics-Volumes/dp/7119005901/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1444868739&sr=1-2&keywords=romance+of+the+three+kingdoms

I really enjoy these editions.
>>
>>7235990
thanks fam
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.