[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/lit/ I did a bad thing. An ad at my uni wanted editors for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 4427591.jpg (71 KB, 313x468) Image search: [Google]
4427591.jpg
71 KB, 313x468
/lit/

I did a bad thing. An ad at my uni wanted editors for a new student journal about "modern literary theory". Unfortunately, most of the submissions are recycled first year essays, and are of monumentally shite quality. They're simply boring to read. No originality, transgression or wit.

I'm a philosophy major, but have a strong background in English lit. Any suggestions on how to save this endevour, or should I just abandon ship? I'm thinking of steering it towards a focus on Tao Lin (kek).

pic related, every essay focus ever
>>
>>7233781
Go fucking balls out and say that. Post it on the group or email list or something. Say they're boring , unoriginal and safe.

That's if you aren't getting paid. If you are, then roll with the punches, correct the spelling and move on.
>>
>>7233788
Nah it's a volunteer post. The co-editors are all female and seem afraid of me, being a guy.
>>
>>7233801
Post a picture of your face.
>>
>>7233801
5/10 euphemism for 'ugly'
>>
>>7233808
nigger i'm a fine piece of ass, my mom told me so.
>>
>>7233801
Look, it you think they're shite, they'll be thinking the same thing. If not they'll probably agree with you. If you're the head editor (headitor?) I suppose you can have a say, if not, get in touch with whoever is in charge and say something. This is one of those maturing points people talk about when they've been to university.

Plus, you could probably talk about it in a job interview.
>>
>>7233829
I'm doing it mostly for the resume perks. That, and because I like modern literature, I guess. I'm deputy editor, but the person in charge seems fairly content with the current direction.

I just need to find some way to broaden their horizons beyond that of the undergrad-tier canon. I used Tao Lin as an example in jest, but frankly he'd be a better choice than more Angela Carter or Conrad.
>>
>>7233880
Why not submit a bright new paper under a pseudonym if you're such a good writer?
>>
>>7233894

I'm a mediocre writer, and I'm trying to do just that. It'd be a tad embarrasing if I get rejected by myself though, so I'm being careful to preserve my pride.

But that doesn't mean I can't be a harsh critic, does it now.
>>
>>7233983
I don't know, you tell me. You don't see me going around criticizing sylvia plaths poems when I can't even write a convincing couplet, do you?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.