[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/Bloomgeneral/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: Harold-Bloom.jpg (489 KB, 995x666) Image search: [Google]
Harold-Bloom.jpg
489 KB, 995x666
Did Bloom analyse Literature in Hegelian method (as a history of ideas; language to ideas is like vacuum to matter), and thus influences became an important factor to discuss as a causation for the movement of literature?

Also is he gonna be relevent in 100 years or will he be forgotten like Henri Bergson or Herbert Spencer?
>>
Well, my university seems to have spent hundreds of dollars buying all of his Critical Editions and all of his other books. So, if universities care so much, he'll be relevant for a while.
>>
He seems to have been rendered obsolete a long time ago, actually. I doubt he will endure anywhere near as well as Bergson or Spencer, who, after all, you have still heard of.
>>
>>7230655
Yes but I hear them in the same way one knows a famous person for being famous rather than have important ideas. Even when they are mentioned, it isn't indepth at all; often studying influences of more important contributors and their relations with their contemporaries.
>>
Let's set aside those banalities and get to the really pressing issues.

How big is that shit going to be when he finally takes it?
>>
The anxiety of influence might be taught in 100 of years. Thats it. He's well known right now because hes cranky and he goes on tv. After he dies, no more media coverage, his reknown depends on being taught in schools, and only a few of his early, serious books will be taught. Starting with the western canon he became a sort of literature-popularizer. That stuff - western canon, shakespeare, genius, how to read - will be lost to time. And without him appearing on charlie rose or bashing harry potter, nobody will know who he is. Except for maybe the anxiety of influence being excerpted in the norton anthology of crit, he's a period piece.
>>
>>7230798

I actually really disagree. Defending the cannon will be a major issue in the coming decades and we, along with the next gen, will be the ones who either retain it and add new, or let it all be scrapped into nothingness and explained away with privilege and racism etc.

He is one of the last making comprehensive arguments for why the cannon is actually valuable even if it is not entirely inclusive; that it should be kept and added too. That there is such a thing as good and bad writing, and that personal taste and what sells, or fits a political agenda is not everything.
>>
>>7230818
Im doing an english major at a state school, not even yale, and ive been assigned few non-canon books. a course on comics and a course on ya books exist, but if you walk around the english section of the school bookstore - it's mainly classic lit + the 20th century lit you'd approve of, with contemporary novels or what have you scattered here and there. I think bloom grossly exaggerates the situation, just as he does most things.
>>
>>7230818
>That there is such a thing as good and bad writing, and that personal taste and what sells, or fits a political agenda is not everything.
lmao. i really hope the bloomtards that think this die out ASAP, along with that fat tard, that actually believe the canon is the best of the best. the canon IS a political agenda. it's been shaped by nationalism, patriarchy, capitalism's culture industries of the land of the fat and free. i thought after postmodernism we had realized that the canon is just a set of reference points of intertextuality through which we read other works.
>>
>>7230818
Also if sjws are going to take everything over then theyre not gonna teach bloom anyway. Or if they dont, then bloom hasnt written all that much worthy of being canonical anyway. Either way, he's not going to be remembered.
>>
Unless, lol, english profs in 100 years become so zealous about the canon that bloom becomes some sort of religious figure who fought bravely in hard times and secured our freedom etc. Honesty this is a cultural squabble that nobody will care about a century hence. And plenty of profs and critics besides bloom hold the opinion that some books are better than others, and yet they dont share bloom's narrow taste (or extremely high standards, if you want to call it that, but how interesting would english classes be if we went even further and adopted the highest standards and only taught shakespeare?)
>>
>>7230865
hurrrrr
>>
>>7230527
>Also is he gonna be relevent in 100 years or will he be forgotten like Henri Bergson or Herbert Spencer?

Those are philosophers mate.
>>
>>7230865
How can someone be so wrong in one post? You are the most vile pure evil malice
>>
>>7230865
Nice anglo-centric view there burger. The cannon is pretty much against everything the degenerate american capitalist, which you are part of, even if you think you are not because you throw things like patriarchy and nationalism. The cannon is pretty leftists actually, but you are a disgusting neo-liberal, so you wouldn't know.
>>
>>7230900
Such a static canon is the last thing Bloom would want, and he's perfectly aware that people just as intelligent disagree with him. If he's remembered it will probably be as a minor figure though ofc
>>
The major intellectuals of the late 20th century are all going to be French guys
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.