[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is existential despair the most embarrassing product of the natural
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 1444491265784.png (467 KB, 432x653) Image search: [Google]
1444491265784.png
467 KB, 432x653
Is existential despair the most embarrassing product of the natural world?
>>
>>7229187

Grow up.
>>
This painting is superficial. His eyes say very little.
>>
>>7229187
I know it goes at least as far back as Omar Kayyam.
>>
>>7229187
It certainly seems odd from an evolutionary standpoint. Thinking about the way our conscience could have developed, it seems so peculiar that we've latched onto these specific aesthetic qualities, and that a by-product of intelligence would eventually constitute a dislike of self-awareness. I know it could have been anything else, maybe squares are the hottest thing on the other side of the Milky Way, but our innate values, or at least shared ones, strike me as things of beauty in themselves; love; honour; courage; the curves of a woman; they all appear to poignant to be anything but purposeful, maybe not by a Creator God, but at least a mathematical universal.

Anyway, I think existential despair would be the most natural product of our world.
>>
>>7229203
I liked it, and Ivans' eyes show just what they're supposed to; shocked terror.
>>
>>7229203
I think it's the most terrified look you can have.

But then, I have similar eyes.
>>
>>7229203
That's bullshit. Those are the eyes of a madman terrified of his own actions.
>>
>>7229187
obviously something like shitting is, idiot

>>7229203
incorrect
>>
>>7229200
Lol
>>
>>7229187
No. First of all it's, not a product of the natural world, but the ideal world. Second, it's aesthetic as fuck and not subject to vulgar naturalities.
>>
>>7229207
>>7229211
>>7229217
>>7229221
His eyes show a very stylized sense of horror, and that's why it's superficial, exaggerated, almost empty, and totally kitsch. /lit/ has no sense for art whatsoever, and you guys just like crap that's supposed to be great, like this painting or Bouguereau.

Just compare his eyes to that of some Rembrandt figure, for God's sake. There's no question on which one is great art and which one is not.

If you can describe the feeling in less than a thousand words, it's kitsch. Simple as that. In this case, a few words like 'shock' and 'horror' are enough. In Mona Lisa's case, no words can describe it, and that's why it's great.
>>
>>7229404
Fuck off tzarist shill, we know you hate realism, since it shows that things are disgusting and hollow.
>>
File: nachtwachtrh.jpg (947 KB, 2500x2083) Image search: [Google]
nachtwachtrh.jpg
947 KB, 2500x2083
>>7229404
>If you can describe the feeling in less than a thousand words, it's kitsch
What kind of elitist pleb are you?
>>
>>7229203
Poor bait.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.