[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello, /lit/ I figure that you guys know more about word shit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: mike.jpg (10 KB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
mike.jpg
10 KB, 360x270
Hello, /lit/

I figure that you guys know more about word shit than I do, so I have a question.

If you were to create a list of anagrams for the word 'hello', would it be acceptable for 'helol' to be on that list twice given that you could switch the order of the two letter 'l's in there?
>>
how would i know that you havent listed the same one twice?
>>
>>7229062
You wouldn't. But given that there are two letter 'l's, are they both valid anagrams given that, if you were to number each letter, they would be different?

For example:

" h1 e2 l3 l4 o5 "

helol (a): " h1 e2 l3 o5 l4 "
helol (b): " h1 e2 l4 o5 l3 "
>>
id say no

an anagram takes one arrangement, and makes a new one

if the letters aren't distinguishable from each other, then you cannot make a new arrangement

e.g. you can make an anagram out of "AAAA" because you have the same result no matter how you arrange them
>>
cannot*

unless the L's are labeled, you dont have a new product, you have the same product.
>>
>>7229071
This. Now fuck off, OP.
>>
>>7229077
harsh but fair

>>7229071
Alright, cheers mate
>>
>>7229058
It would mean that any anagram for the word hello you come up with would have to be written twice, since you can always switch the two 'l's. So I think it's pretty stupid
>>
yeah i think you list how many distinct arrangements you can make, and (1) helol and (2) helol are not distinct.
>>
>>7229058
No because anagrams are about the words and letters themselves and not specific occurrences of them.

If you can label the two l's in "hello" as L1 and L2, it's because you're counting the occurrences of the letter L and not the letter itself. If you apply that logic consistently you can just make an anagram that just has the word "hello" over and over again, on the basis that each new occurrence of the word is made up of new letter occurrences. But that would be boring as fuck (even by anagram standards) and not the reason people do anagrams.
>>
This is a math question (it's combinatorics) so ask /sci/. The answer is no though
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.