[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we talk about the Phenomenology of Spirit? Is it worth it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: hegel.jpg (98 KB, 500x573) Image search: [Google]
hegel.jpg
98 KB, 500x573
Can we talk about the Phenomenology of Spirit? Is it worth it to read or is there an easier book that will give a decent summary?
>>
>>7326959
Fuck PoS. Try Philosophy of History. It gives the real Hegel, not the early one who wanted to a man of lettres. There's a reason why humanist like their PoS more than anything else, since they are pussies who can't handle the actual Hegel who has no illusions.
>>
>>7327001
Someone doesn't understand the place of the PoS within the System.

>>7326959
It's really cool. I had to read it for college last year, and I was initially intimidated by it, just because of the reputation that thing has, but I found it incredibly rich in ideas and arguments, and a very compelling account of both human consciousness generally and human spirit throughout history. I'm not sure I *agree* with him, but Hegel's fucking cool as shit.

If you look in the archives, there should be a MEGA file collecting a bunch of works on Hegel with a focus on commentaries on the PoS. If you're too intimidated by the book itself, there are some very accessible commentaries that also don't simplify his thought.
>>
Don't get stuck in a lime twig.
>>
Hegel is influential but wrong about literally everything. Read the wikipedia and move on. It's a waste of time.
>>
>>7326959

Start by getting a lobotomy, and then huff gasoline for two weeks straight.

After that you'll be ready for Hegel's Piece of Shite
>>
>>7327268
>>7327266
>Materialists come out of the woodwork
>>
File: karl marx cloud of crows.jpg (55 KB, 500x451) Image search: [Google]
karl marx cloud of crows.jpg
55 KB, 500x451
>>7327401
>>
>>7327255

which sections did you read?

and w-which archive are you talking about..?
>>
>>7327414
For college we read the Introduction, the first two sections of Consciousness, all of Self-Consciousness, all of Spirit and Absolute Knowing (so we skipped Reason and Religion). I've read the rest of it on my own time.

And the warosu.org archive stores /lit/'s stuff; the particular thread is here:

https://warosu.org/lit/thread/S6769573#p6774855
>>
File: 1443952080099.jpg (110 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
1443952080099.jpg
110 KB, 640x427
>>7327412
>Equating Hegelian thought to Marxism
Damn Wittgenstein was influenced by Hegel
>>
>>7328649
>being illiterate and talking about philosophy you know nothing about

marx's project emerged out of a materialist but constructive critique of hegel. the image macro was a caricature of the anons the quoted post was lampooning. get fucked, you useless, incognizant swine.
>>
>>7328669
It is clearly you who cannot comprehend, as never once did I claim Marx was not heavily influenced by Hegel. All I was saying is that agreeing with Hegel does not automatically make one a Marxist, my evidense being many other philosphers have been influenced by Hegel.

Good job acting like a brat though.
>>
ok so lemme get this straight. the end game of reality is when consciousness reaches its full potential and this is done through it filtering itself out?
>>
>>7328737
filtering itself out by testing itself on other manifestations of spirit. I should have said
>>
PoS is masterful if you can get into the style of it.

His lectures are way more approachable - philosophy of history, philosophy of religion 1827. But they weren't actually written by him.

Surprised to see so many people sympathetic to Hegel on this board. Those who say he's a waste of time are probably just too dense to understand any variety of nondual logic.

They can continue to suckle at the abstract teat of analytic philosophy.
>>
>>7328669
why is it when someone so much as implicate impeaching Marx (which >>7328649
didn't even do) it brings out all the insecure assholes from the woodwork?
>>
Reminder that Schoppy was insincere regarding Hegel
A young philosopher, Arthur Schopenhauer, requested
the right to do his habilitation in Berlin and to be allowed to give
lectures there; he also requested, strangely enough, that if it were
possible, his lectures should be scheduled at exactly the same time as
Hegel's lectures. The dean of the faculty, August Boeckh, passed along
Schopenhauer's petition to the rest of the faculty, noting with displeasure
the "no small arrogance and extraordinary vanity" contained in
Schopenhauer's request. The rest of the faculty also took umbrage with
Schopenhauer's "arrogance," but Hegel apparently had nothing against
it, and he agreed to set a date for Schopenhauer's defense (March 23,
r 82o) . Schopenhauer read a test-lecture on the traditional notions of the
four causes, and in the ensuing discussion, Hegel asked him to clarify
what he meant when he said that "animal functions" account for an
animal's behavior; Hegel thought that in one of the examples Schopenhauer
had given, he was confusing motives (reasons for action) with
causal factors such as pulse, blood circulation, and the like. There
ensued a bit of a to-do between Hegel and Schopenhauer on the point,
with the zoologist Martin H. K. Lichtenstein cutting in to defend
Schopenhauer's use of the term "animal function................Although Hegel's point was
not about the use of terms but about the distinction between reasons
and causes, he prudently decided not to press the point any further and
gave Schopenhauer a passing grade, thus clearing the way for him to
begin his teaching career (fully aware of Schopenhauer's peculiar request
to schedule his classes so as to challenge him for students). As he
had requested, Schopenhauer was permitted to hold his lectures at the
same time as Hegel's, and when hardly anyone showed up for them, he
had to leave Berlin for several years in some disgrace.
>>
>>7328902
What amazes about the PoS is how accurate the cycle of Culture (Immediate Spirit, Alienation in culture and the subsequent bringing back of it through pure intellect/faith, and moral world-view) still continues to happen over and over again.

I think if Hegel saw what happened in the 20th and 21th centuries he would probably be way less optimistic about we achieving absolute knowledge.
>>
>>7328928
sauce?
>>
>>7328943
>I think if Hegel saw what happened in the 20th and 21th centuries he would probably be way less optimistic about we achieving absolute knowledge.

He actually does have a letter where he says that he want it all to finally end.
>>
>>7328960
>he want it all to finally end.

In what sense?
>>
>>7328958
A Hegel biography by Terry Pinkard. I don't agree with his books that deal with Hegel's philosophy though.
>>
>>7328962
The endless Becoming probably. Maybe it's just old man being old.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.