[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Translated poetry
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: le.jpg (85 KB, 260x400) Image search: [Google]
le.jpg
85 KB, 260x400
is pointless, right?
>>
>>7224669
Yes and no, some poetries still deliver a message, others lose it completely after a translation.
Studying what is being said isn't pointless though.
>>
No. Shouts out to Szymborska
>>
The message in a poem is secondary to the aesthetic and rhythmic qualities of the rhyme scheme. If you cannot preserve the rhyme scheme in the target language you should not translate the poem. Because if the prosody and the rhyme scheme are no longer intact, you do not have a poem in your target language.
>>
>>7224669
Depends whether you hold the artist's intent as sacred or not. Personally I don't and will judge a translation at face value. If I deem it to be of value then that's great. I don't treat it as if it's the same as the original though. It's just another thing and there's no problem treating it as such.
I'm currently having the odd flick through a bilingual poetry book where the author wrote both the English and Chinese versions. In some ways that's cool to know that the 'intent' has been preserved.
>>
Your life is pointless, tbh
>>
well, a translated poem can be good too, but I would consider it completely different from the original work. Except for the poems which rely on ideas and concepts and not the poetic beauty.
>>
>>7224669
never.
i'm considering the posibility of learning russian just for the poetry
>>
>>7225532
snort. what is it, like, poetry about potatoes? and being cold? haha
>>
>>7225548
Nope, it's about fucking cold people with potatoes within a Gulag.
>>
Yes, unless its some kind of slam poetry-like nonsense.
>>
I guess that depends on whether you get something out of it or not.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.