[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am interested in reading a good book about the history of coffee.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: coffee.jpg (14 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
coffee.jpg
14 KB, 300x250
I am interested in reading a good book about the history of coffee. I don't want some goofy ass hipster dribble about how amazing coffee is and how it's turned the world into a more trendy place, I want a proper book about the actual events that caused coffee to be such a massive phenomenon. Thanks in advance.
>>
Terence McKenna's book food of the gods had a good chapter on this
>>
ya i can't get down with none of that artisinal coffee fag shit, just give me a big ass cup of instant folgers in the morning so i can blast off a fatty turd and start my day
>>
>>7223534
>instant coffee
Come on now, there is a good amount of middle ground between being a coffee snob and just being a slob.
>>
General Overviews

The following works explore coffee’s history from its African origins to its move across the Atlantic. Two are late-19th-century histories of coffee, Thurber 1883 and Laërne 1885, which were written when Brazil and Latin America’s coffee economies dominated the world market. Both include comparative analyses of coffee production in different regions around the world, as well as statistics about trade patterns for the late 18th and 19th centuries. Ukers 2007 (originally published in 1922 by the Tea and Coffee Trade Journal Company) is an early standard in the field, beautifully illustrated with sketches and paintings taken from earlier 17th- and 18th-century authors. Smith and Topik 2006 and de Graaff 1986 both explore coffee’s economy from a comparative perspective, though with different emphases. De Graaff 1986 work is highly statistical, providing extensive tables on production cycles, distribution patterns, and consumption rates. Smith and Topik 2006 are more interested in tying coffee to ideas about labor conditions, European imperialism, and political economy. This is an important collection of essays on Africa, the Indian Ocean, and Latin America; the one geographic region that could use more emphasis is the Caribbean. Weinberg and Bealer 2001 also follow coffee around the world, though their study ends by the early 20th century, and alternating chapters compare coffee and tea and focus more specifically on ideas about health and medicine. Finally, Pendergrast 2010 and Thurston, et al. 2013 offer accessible overviews of coffee’s popularity. Pendergrant briefly considers developments before 1900, but the majority of his work focuses on Latin American coffee cartels and increasing demand in the United States. Thurston, et al. 2013 is even more heavily focused on the twentieth and twenty-first century, with several chapters based extensively on oral history interviews with coffee harvesters and processors, and others focused on questions of political economy and environmentalism, such as the impact of fair trade and and organic coffee movements.
>>
Ukers, William. All About Coffee. 2d ed. Mansfield Center, CT: Martino, 2007.

Save Citation »Export Citation »E-mail Citation »

Originally published in 1922, this is the second and standard edition of this definitive work on the history of coffee. Includes overviews of the historical, technical, scientific, commercial, and artistic significance of coffee. A still-unsurpassed work on the subject. Lavishly illustrated, with color plates.

This looks like a good bet OP
>>
>>7223881
>Mansfield Center

Ayyyyyy!
>>
>>7223903
?
>>
>>7223924
AYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
>>
Did Balzac ever write about coffee? Apparently he had like a dozen cups daily.
>>
Need a similar book about wine
>>
>>7223424
Its not a book but Black Coffee, a documentary by PBS, is just what your looking for. It's on Youtube, three parts, each an hour long.
>>
>>7224683
You're an idiot
>>
>coffee
Literally Reddit: The drink
>>
I drank 5 cups today and now I have a tummyache. How the hell does lynch do it
>>
File: weeweemercy.png (740 KB, 827x622) Image search: [Google]
weeweemercy.png
740 KB, 827x622
>>7224683
Baudelaire's "On Wine and Hashish" is pretty great.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.