[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Historical Fiction
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: SCHR27.jpg (143 KB, 874x1279) Image search: [Google]
SCHR27.jpg
143 KB, 874x1279
I'm looking for some good historical fiction. I have Bernard Cornwell down, read the whole Sharpe series and I'm working on the Saxon novels. What other good historical fiction works are there? Is Masters of Rome any good?
>>
I Claudius
Memoirs of Hadrian
good Roman historical fiction

The Master and Commander series (aka the Aubrey-Maturin series) by Patrick O'Brian is a lot of fun. It's set in the British Navy mostly during the Napoleanic Wars and the War of 1812.
>>
Moon of bitter cold
>>
File: Cedric_the_Saxon.jpg (102 KB, 349x601) Image search: [Google]
Cedric_the_Saxon.jpg
102 KB, 349x601
>>7222834
>I'm working on the Saxon novels

I assume you've read Ivanhoe?
>>
>>7222834
Gates of Fire is solid.
>>
Aubrey and Maturin
Otto Prohaska
Brigadier Gerard
Flashman
>>
"Hornblower" and "Master and Commander" are GOAT tbh.
>>
File: flashman.jpg (580 KB, 1607x1239) Image search: [Google]
flashman.jpg
580 KB, 1607x1239
Settle for no less
>SJWs BTFO
>>
>>7222834
If you like Cornwell then read Agincourt. It's easily his masterpiece
>>
>>7222853
Seconding Memoirs of Hadrian, Yourcenar is based.

If you are interesting in Vikings I would definitely recommend The Long Ships. Great attention to detail and cultural differences in Scandinavia.
Reads like a lite version of The Islandic Sagas. Hell of an entertaining read.
>>
I've read a couple by Mary Renault that were pretty good: The Last of the Wine and The Mask of Apollo

The former tells the story of a boy in the time of Socrates, around the end of the Peloponnesian War if I remember correctly (read it roughly ten years ago). I don't remember it being the most amazing book in terms of how well it's written, but it was pretty good, and interesting for someone with a passing interest in ancient civilizations. Mentioned a bunch of well-known episodes from that time, like the vandalism of the hermai prior to the Sicilian Expedition. Critically acclaimed, and I respect the opinion of the teacher who assigned it more than almost anyone I've ever met (absolutely awful human being, but one of the most intelligent and well-read people I've ever known).

The latter I read about a year ago (obtained a minor myself in Classical Studies about four years ago). Wonderful book that follows a tragedian actor, similar time period. Detailed account of Syracuse during the reign of Dionysios I, including his fall. Based on studies while in school and since then, I can tell you it is absolutely historically accurate, down to the finest details. Especially interesting if you're into the Greek festivals and plays in particular.

Last recommendation: Louis L'Amour's The Walking Drum. Pretty similar to The Count of Monte Cristo, with a protagonist from Brittany who escapes enslavement and travels across Medieval Europe (from Brittany to the Iberian Peninsula and westward from there if I remember correctly, also about ten years since reading this) and the Middle East in search of his enslaved father. Vast amount of historical figures, events, books, etc., both well-known and more obscure, mentioned throughout. Would highly recommend.
>>
>>7222834
>Is Masters of Rome any good?
It's fantastic, but it demands a fair amount of familiarity with the history and sources of the period. If you've devoted the requisite time to studying all of that, the rewards are infinite.
>>
>>7227078

Renault was a master at her craft. Her Alexander trilogy is phenomenal (the first two more so than the last), with The Persian Boy being one of my favourite novels of all time.
>>
War and Peace.
>>
Mason & Dixon
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.