[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have an honest question, /lit/? Should I read Ulysses by myself
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: JoyceUlysses2.jpg (63 KB, 585x750) Image search: [Google]
JoyceUlysses2.jpg
63 KB, 585x750
I have an honest question, /lit/? Should I read Ulysses by myself without any external resources, or should I read an annotated version of Ulysses and delve into summaries and reading guides. Which of the two options would allow me to experience Ulysses the best?
>>
>>7222042
The first option. Then, when you feel like re-reading it, do the second option.
>>
>>7222042
Buy an unabridged, look up annotations on the web. Much more versatile.
>>
you should make inconsequential minor decisions by yourself you retard
>>
I went into Ulysses blind a few years ago, got completely lost, and eventually gave up half-way through. There were just too many references that went completely over my head.

Currently reading an annotated copy and am enjoying myself much more.
>>
Read it by yourself always.
If you feel you've missed too much, look up annotations or companion books at the end of a chapter.
>>
The only annotated copies i know of is that penguin student edition thats uk only (though of course you can order it through amazon.co.uk or the book depository) and the oxford world's classics edition, which i think uses the error-filled first edition.

What other annotated editions are there? I wish norton would put out a critical edition, its odd that they havent.

The penguin annotated students edition btw is great because its end notes are brief and necessary, so you arent reading essays about the book while youre reading it.
>>
>>7222042
read the odsyssey first then dive in, re-read it with this http://www.amazon.com/Ulysses-Annotated-Notes-James-Joyces/dp/0520253973
>>
>>7222054
>>>/b/
>>
>>7223976
ironically this thread is /b/worthy, home of 'dubs decide' and braindead retards who can't make minor decisions. you should go >>>/b/
>>
>>7222042
Nabokov's guide is what you want.
>>
File: image.jpg (120 KB, 600x876) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
120 KB, 600x876
Just read it by yrself the first time. It's in English. It's incredibly contemporary. There are trolling cucks ffs fam.

Might as well get the original taste. It didn't originally get published w a manual.
>>
The answer is to literally start with the Greeks dumbass
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.