[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this series so recommended? I read the premise on Amazon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
Why is this series so recommended? I read the premise on Amazon and it looked laughable.
>>
read it and find out
>>
The first series was like Dune meets Game of Thrones, set in some Crusaders vs Muslims with magicks and vikings or something like that. There's even a Paul Atreides 'comes Jesus.
Characterization is OK, at least he presents a few new-ish types of psychopaths, some interesting plot "twists".
The aesthetics were the best part, particularly in the first book where the culture feels more interesting and less generic, with some hints of the Chivalric. It's probably the best written out of the trilogy. The magic as some kind of semiotic spell was fun to read.

>>7218347
>Why is this series so recommended?
>so recommended
I haven't read so many recs in /lit/. It was hotter maybe 2 years ago.
In general it feels slightly more mature than your average fantasy reddit Branderson shit, especially in the narrative and the inner monologue and the struggles. Less cliche'd.
But it was pretty dry in the long run, boring plot even piled upon predictable plot even... a lot left unexplained, some pacing issues...
>>
>>7218347
Take note, one and all, something remarkable has begun.
>>
>>7218347
>I read the premise
Maybe do that for films, not books. This is almost the equivalent of judging a book by its cover, btw.
Reading excerpts and judging an author's prose is better on whether to read a particular book or not, though still a crappy basis. The best criteria ofc is to read the fucking book.
>>
>>7218347

Decent read, currently on cliffhanger. As this anon wrote it's less generic than your usual fantasy tripe, lots of grey morality and philosophy/religion stuff.
>>
>>7218347
/lit/ used to have a hardon for this trilogy, but I haven't seen it talked about here in a couple of years really now

it's better than 90% of fantasy, but it is pretty dry imo. I think the author put his philosophy phd on hold to write them, and it shows in his writing.
>>
>The first series was like Dune meets Game of Thrones

hot tamale, clear my schedule
>>
>>7218347
Because It's part of a sub-genre that is quite popular, but lacks material.
>>
All fantasy has a laughable premise.
>>
>>7218347
It's so recommended because people who read fantasy have terrible taste. The series is crap.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.