[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>NaNo thread on /tg/ >NaNo thread on /v/ >NaNo thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27
File: NaNoLogo.png (62 KB, 600x840) Image search: [Google]
NaNoLogo.png
62 KB, 600x840
>NaNo thread on /tg/
>NaNo thread on /v/
>NaNo thread on /r9k/
>No NaNo thread on /lit/
Gotta rectify that. What are we writing?
>>
I will just write the same schizophrenic ass diarrhea w/ a loose narrative that I always wind up writing, but I guess now I will write it w/ greater frequency. my main character's name is Cola Guy.
>>
So you need a lame arse month with a stupid acronym to write a book?
>>
What I love about NaNo is all of these horrible Fantasy/Action/Teen writers who come out of the woodwork and prove how poor the competition really is.

You'll find vloggers who talk about writing 14,000 words per day. Let me tel you: If you are writing 14,000 words per day, you are not writing quality prose. You are simply spewing out brain-farts from the magical fantasy land in your head that you have created to escape reality. Invariably these kind of writers "wear" their writing, so to speak. They become too immersed and it shows in the finished product.

Incidentally, I started writing my first novel a week ago and will use the above as motivation.
>>
>>7308703
While I agree that those kinds of people and their writing are usually garbage, you can write a lot in a short time and have it not completely suck so long as you heavily edit it later. Though obviously 90% or more of the people we're talking about aren't going to do that.
>>
If you want to see something depressing go on youtube and search 'self-publishing' or something. Loads of YA writers publishing their own garbage books, putting loads of money into something that fucking nobody wants to read.
>>
>>7308669
>doing NaNoWriMo
Look, the word pleb is overused, but
>>
>>7308669

>People actually "write" full length novels in a single month

And here I am only barely over 90,000 words on a project I've been working with for over two years...
>>
>>7308881
Maybe you should try it then.
>>
>>7308881
They write 50k word "novels" in a month, but it's pretty much only dumbass kids and manchildren doing genreshit so who cares?
>>
>>7308881
Stephen King writes some of his books in less than three weeks.

Not saying he's a good author, but he's published. I think you're being too precious with your work.
>>
>>7308901
He has people who'll actually publish his shit though. And he spent years sending short stories out to various magazines before his first book got published.

If the average /lit/ poster with no publishing credentials churns out a novel in 3 weeks, chances are no one's going to want to touch it.
>>
>>7308703
>If you are writing 14,000 words per day, you are not writing quality prose
Even if you write only 140, it will always benefit from an edit. Having 14k words to edit, increases to chance to have more quality in the end.

>>7308829
How is this depressing and not fucking amusing?

>>7308881
Pulp authors can push out publishable novels in under a week. 50k words in a month is damn easy if you disregard quality.

It depends on what kind of work you're writing. Didn't Flaubert need one week per page?
>>
Why do these people all feel that planning what they write is a bad idea?
>>
>>7308925
Because with the kinds of things they're writing, odds are no one's going to notice or care anyway.
>>
NaNoWriMo is a good/bad idea.
One thing that happens is that many participants will write stories very fast, producing low-quality work. On the other hand, it works very much as a motivation to actually write instead of procrastinating the task - that seems what most people here suffer and have very low standards regarding the amount of daily work they should be doing if they want to be writers.

I wouldn't worry much because of the quality of the prose and plots of NaNo are bad - most of them are very young and inexperienced. Unless they're genius, they will write bad stuff at the start, NaNo is a good way to get that out of their systems if they re-read they works later and realize the mistake they committed.
>>
>go to writing club
>everyone talks about the terrible, wannabe YA 'novels' they're doing
>have to grin and bear it for the next month
>>
>>7308925
because a lot of people who pursue writing are just lazy, talentless posers who want fame and validation, and think that writing novels will be an easy way to get it.

because i tricked all of my teachers in highschool into thinking i was smart when i bullshitted all those essays, surely i can do the same with a novel.
>>
File: nanostats.png (4 KB, 398x318) Image search: [Google]
nanostats.png
4 KB, 398x318
>>7308669
Working on it right now! 50k here we come!
>>
File: 1394183756301.gif (1 MB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
1394183756301.gif
1 MB, 450x450
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdmGMGQ-AVc

>that bookshelf
>that self-labeling
>that perky demeanor

I feel sick.
>>
>>7309079
This
>>
I used to write a lot as a child, but quit about ten years ago. Every November I think about using this to get back into it, but forget until halfway through the month.

Thanks for reminding me on the first OP. I know it's stupid bullshit but even stupid bullshit can be a good motivator.
>>
>>7309084
>words:0
You're just mashing a number or symbol key, aren't you?

I bet it'll still turn out better than 99% of the shit that typically comes out of this, and there's something terribly sad and banal about that.
>>
>>7309091
literally every booktuber
>>
File: nanostatsupdate.png (3 KB, 406x174) Image search: [Google]
nanostatsupdate.png
3 KB, 406x174
>>7309116

I'm doing okay actually. There's just that moment of fear when you start, no matter how prepared you are.
>>
I'm doing it. /lit/'s been surprisingly receptive to the things I've written off the cuff lately and that's been good motivation for me. Now it's time to crash and burn.
>>
>>7309091
yikes
>>
How much word building should I do before writing my fantasy novel? I've figured out the religions, languages, and politics of the last 500 years. When should I develop my characters and their ancestry?
>>
>>7309150

Work on your plot now. Character ancestry is something you can add when it becomes relevant or after the actual manuscript is done.
>>
>>7309150
PLEASE be a joke
>>
>>7309091
9/10 would pursue a long term relationship with and, over time, beat the optimism, attention-seeking, shit-taste and general irritating cheerfulness out of her.
>>
>>7309176
>>7309091
I'm only talking about the first one btw. I think I could probably a fairly healthy relationship with the third one though.
>>
I annotated American Psycho specifically for this, because I had read it before and admired it greatly, so I wanted to write something close to its spirit

And also, I wanted to do the project with a female protagonist. HOWEVER! I've found that Patrick Bateman was a way for BEE to explore alienation in an absurd context. Bateman the character originated from a place of pain inside Ellis. If I want to write a female protagonist -- something that I've noticed is much more prevalent in films than in literature -- it has to be her own satire exploring alienation.
>>
File: 1445375075315.jpg (35 KB, 252x247) Image search: [Google]
1445375075315.jpg
35 KB, 252x247
Is there any way we can form a /lit/ NaNoWriMo sub-group?

I fuggin love you guys, don't wanna mix with nobody else.
>>
>>7309150
Just make your world building the novel. People will call it the next Silmarillion.
>>
>>7309180
>I annotated American Psycho specifically for this, because I had read it before and admired it greatly, so I wanted to write something close to its spirit
Just write 500 brand names and products down on a piece of paper then jerk off onto it. That's basically what Bret did.
>>
What the fuck is NaNo? Some sort of contest thing? I'd probably be down but like others have said its not gonna be very quality if produced in a month. Maybe if they were just novellas.
>>
>>7308669
So is there any actual benefit to it? Like do they consider anything for publication? Or is it all just wankery and feel-good autofellation about calling yourself an author?
>>
>>7309212
It's good if you're applying to college
>>
>>7308909
You might lern something, tho.
>>
>>7309212
It's just an exercise for teaching newbies some discipline. I did it myself like seven years ago and now I write about 50,000 words every month anyway.
>>
>>7309216
I already wrote a novel in a month without this shit and no one wanted to publish it. I'm speaking from experience.
>>
>>7309226
nobody wanted to publish it because it was awful, which means you still have things to learn. stop being a retard.
>>
>>7309150

The world you're building will mean jack shit if your characters, plot, and prose (i.e. the book itself) are as flat and boring as cardboard. Start working on those. You can get away with a bland style (see GRRM) if your characters and plot are good enough, but even he has a skillful sense of description and direction about his world, and the writing flows smoothly so you aren't left with a hiccup amidst the action. Pay attention to all three, all the time.

>>7309223

Pretty much this. The point of NaNo is to do the fucking work. If you give a shit about the book after you've finished writing it, you'll go back and revise it. If you care at all about being published, you'll be doing this anyway, for just about anything you write, ever. Hell, you might even throw it out entirely, which might be a good call if you think it's irredeemable hot trash (save it anyway though).
>>
>>7309212
It's less about publishing and more about learning to get shit done, something that many of the people, that look down on the NaNoWriMo crowd, can't do.

Besides, writing a full novel is always a great practice and can serve as a chance to try a completely new approach. Well, and motivation.
>>
>>7309188
This so much.

Also one could just write a novel about writing a novel and throwing few scenes from the character life in-between. One should be able to fill tons of pages with his/her brainstorming alone and parts from the novel inside a novel AND then rewriting them.
>>
>>7309238
Yeah, no. Plenty of awful shit gets published if it looks like it can sell. It just wasn't marketable.
>>
>>7309251
Plenty of awful shit gets published, sure. But a far greater quantity doesn't. Stop making excuses, it's fucking pathetic.
>>
Best font for writing go
>>
>>7309269
Palatino Linotype.
>>
>>7309269
comic sans
>>
Times new roman
>>
>>7309269
wingdings
>>
>>7309266
Not as pathetic as you trying to come off as an authority on something you know little to nothing about.
>>
>>7309295
You're so fucking desperate not to acknowledge that your writing could do with improvement, holy shit.
>>
>>7309296
Improvement and "lel it's shit m8" are two entirely separate things, asshole.
>>
>>7308829
>self-pub
you mean like this chick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-ISB3M_W68
>>
File: groupofyoungwriterspic.jpg (442 KB, 1620x1080) Image search: [Google]
groupofyoungwriterspic.jpg
442 KB, 1620x1080
I don't know why Nanowrimo is considered cool. Writing fast isn't good, it's what a hack does. Better to spend 2 or 3 years on your novel, planning, writing, and editing it.
>>
>>7309307
Get over yourself dude. For a novice, any writing is good writing. Nanowrimo gives beginners a built-in network and motivation.

You're definitely right in the long term, but this is for people who haven't gotten to that point. Go curmudgeon up some other thread.
>>
>>7309307

>Writing fast isn't good, it's what a hack does.

You seem to be under the impression that the end result of NaNoWriMo is supposed to be publishable quality. That is not the case at all. At least skim over the thread before posting redundancies.
>>
>>7309304
>TOTAL: $2,634.38

Hahaha, holy shit f a m. What is literature, an investment now? Fucking rich kids, s m h.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahmUvlaIMTU
>>
>>7309241
>It's less about publishing and more about learning to get shit done, something that many of the people, that look down on the NaNoWriMo crowd, can't do.
Fucking thank you for saying that. I don't care much about NaNoWriMo myself, but I certainly don't hate it. It's getting more people interested in writing. Isn't that kind of a good thing?
>>
>>7309307
It's just a month to work on a rough first copy. It's not a finished product. Geez.
>>
>>7309269
Georgia is ok if you double space--other than that, palatino linotype
>>
...Has anyone here published a novel under a pseudonym?
>>
File: 1386364246278.gif (2 MB, 400x242) Image search: [Google]
1386364246278.gif
2 MB, 400x242
>>7309176
>general irritating cheerfulness
>>
File: gnome.png (120 KB, 324x433) Image search: [Google]
gnome.png
120 KB, 324x433
Lets write a stream of consciousness meme novel. Anyone can contribute.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DYEVQ5ZeAT_kHSfAGX-3JchW-by5UxjDiUzjh538VWU/edit?usp=sharing
>>
I've got a few ideas rattling in my head, but one I'm toying with is a series of vignettes based around immortality, space colonization, and the organization of societies by ideology and demographics.
>>
>>7309477
It's funny that you say "stream of consciousness" is meme narration, but many notable novels use it
>>
>>7309499
no, a novel about memes, written in the stream of consciousness style. What the hell makes you think this isn't a serious idea.

Memes are the product of collective consciousness of mankind, so it i makes sense that a novel about memes would be written by a large group of people.
>>
>>7308924

> Having 14k words to edit, increases to chance to have more quality in the end.

Assumes all mental processes lead to the same arrangements of words. If you are writing 14k words in a day, unless you're 45 and already an accomplished author, the strain of writing that much is going to result in the simplest shite possible.
>>
>>7309269
default font
>>
>>7309483
deep dude
>>
I'm writing about masturbation, which should be a hit since i'm female
>>
>>7309459
No. Although I'll use a psuedonym.
>>
File: 1425082529146.jpg (379 KB, 880x880) Image search: [Google]
1425082529146.jpg
379 KB, 880x880
I don't expect to succeed

but my novel idea is about an introverted cynical shut in, who happens to witness an alleged rape between a college quaterback and a girl who has parents who are well respected with the deans and the higher ups at the college the both go to.

Since this cynical shut in is the only one who witnessed the alleged rape, he is then called to testify.

since this is a big event, there is pressure on this cynical shut in to tell the world that what he witnessed was in fact a rape, but to him, he feels like what he witnessed wasn't a rape at all, and when he testifies must make the choice on whether or not to tell lie because people want him to, or to tell the truth because of his moral standards
>>
>>7308669
I've had different ideas swimming around within my mind. So, I may utilize those ideas and compose them into vignettes, I'd like to try and write an iyashikei type of novel.
>>
>>7309091
>the most amazing... crazy... crazmazing month!
Why do I feel the urge to rape her face?
>>
>>7309100
Good luck, anon!
>>
I'm sure you guys will totally tear this apart but here goes (1/2)

The four boys were sat on a wall outside of the church, which was closed. The wall was dark and mossy and high enough so that the boys’ feet dangled and kicked against it. Next to the wall was a road and on the other side was a row of houses. It was late afternoon and there was hardly any traffic.

The boys were wearing school uniform with hooded jumpers over it. They were not of the rough sort though and minded their own business. From left to right there was a tall skinny one with glasses and a short one with long greasy hair like Noel Gallagher and who was holding a Gameboy, and then there was a baby-face with a bowl cut and a really fat one with a squashed up face. They were looking at the Gameboy of the boy with greasy hair and laughing with each other and they did not notice the two older lads dressed in black with white stripes and with their hoods up until they were almost right next to them.

‘Hey up.” the skinny one said and nudged his head towards the two approaching figures. They stayed where they were but without smiles on their faces and the boy with the Gameboy folded it up and put it in his pocket. They kept their eyes towards the floor as the older boys walked past them with their hands in their pockets and then as they were past them the two appeared to say something to each other and the boys knew they were in trouble.

As they sat there the fat boy looked to his left and saw one of the lads take a left behind the hedgerow and he hopped off the wall to signal to the others that they should leave. As this happened the one who had remained on the pavement turned and ran at the boys and at the same time the one who had gone behind the hedgerow came up from behind the wall and punched the tall boy with the glasses and he fell off the wall and landed on his hands and the fat boy swung at the one on the pavement and missed hitting his shoulder. The other two boys dived off the wall and they grabbed the fat boy by the shirt and they all started to run down the road towards school while the lad hopped over the wall and the two of them ran after them.

They ran after the boys like two wolves chasing a herd. They quickly caught up to the fat boy and one of them kicked him expertly in the back of the legs and he fell and then one of them kicked him in the stomach a couple of times and they ran after the other three.
>>
>>7310036
(2/2)

There was a road coming up on the right, and the tall boy with glasses shouted something and continued going straight while the other two darted right and the lads went right after them. Now the two boys darted down a side street and nearly tripped over a wheelie bin and made their way down an estate. The estate was like a rat warren of walls and garden fences and the boys ended up running down a set of fenced back-gardens and they had lost track of where the lads were in their excitement. They stopped a minute and panted and then the two lads came around the corner and started walking toward them catching their breath.

‘You’re gonna fucking get it now.’ said the bigger of the two lads. He had taken his hood down and had a bald head with a mole on it. The other lad was younger and wiry and stared at them with his eyes bulging out of his skull. There was no time to think and the greasy-haired boy picked up a large stone and threw it at the bald lad’s face. It scarcely missed and the two lads ran at them again. The boy with the baby-face stepped backward and hit the younger lad in the stomach and made him bend over with sickness and then ran while the greasy-haired one tried to run past the two lads in the gap that had appeared but the older lad grabbed hold of his arm and threw him against the concrete post of the fence at the side of them. He looked to his right sharply as the baby-faced boy rugby-tackled him to the floor and landed a decent hit across his jaw. By this time the wiry young lad had come round and hit the boy in the back of the head but he had felt the hit in his stomach and the other lad’s mouth was bleeding. By sheer luck they had come apart and the fighting stopped.
The older lad spat on the floor and said something along the lines of ‘watch your fucking back, we’ll be seeing you again’ and the two disappeared back around the corner they had come from. For a couple of minutes the boys watched to see if they were going to run back at them but then they dusted themselves off and walked back down the estate towards school. The boy with the long hair looked at his torn jumper and then back at the other.
‘Nice one mate,’ he said. ‘You really helped us out there.’
‘No worries.’ the other boy said.
‘Nah, seriously, you’re a fucking hero mate. Wait ‘till they hear back at school about this I swear. You’ll be like Rambo.’ They both laughed and headed back to school where they were greeted by their Head of Year at the gates.
‘Thomas, Sam. Two-thirty is not the time that lunch finishes and you both know it.’ she said. She was a short, wide woman with short, spiked blonde hair and two tiny squinted blue eyes.
>>
>>7310038
Oops, this went over into 3, sorry.

‘We can explain, Miss’, said the boy with greasy hair whose name was Tom. The other boy, Sam, started up with him. ‘We got jumped by two men up near Swithens Drive.’ Tom showed the teached his ripped up sleeve and scraped hands and her face changed from scorn to sympathy. ‘Come in boys, I’ll have to take you to see the school nurse then.’ She said. All in all things had turned out okay. They had an excuse for being late and they got to miss fourth period, and for the next two weeks at school Sam was the one who had fought off two year-Tens from another school at the gardens at the back of Swithens.
>>
>>7309380
Are those words filtered now? good.
>>
>>7309922
Will the reader know whether or not it was a rape, or is it supposed to be ambiguous?
>>
>>7308925
If we're making generalizations, I'd say that they're allergic to structure. Alternately, they think that they can magically shit out enough words in a coherent sequence that they'll be able to make the deadline without needing significant editing.

Though to be fair, I don't usually start writing with a clear structure in mind. I write down scenes that come into mind as I think of them, then go back, see what the overarching story is looking like by picking out the plot important events, putting them in sequence, and then drafting a general outline for the entire story based on that. Then I go back and fill in events and details that connect the plot points. So I will admit that I don't think it's entirely terrible to go into a writing project without a concrete plan, you just have to accept that you'll probably have to do a lot more significant revisions early on and will fumble around a bit as you try to figure out what point you're making or ultimate goal you're going to reach.

But that's for general writing, not a challenge like NaNo.

For something like NaNoWriMo, it's essentially guaranteeing your project blowing up in your face.
>>
>>7309091
The first girl is qt except for her hairstyle. That's a lady you could trust to take care of the house.
>>
>>7309922
problematic tbf
>>
>>7309269
@MSMincho
>>
>>7309091
>amazing, crazy, crazmazing month
>talking like a character from How I Met Your Mother so maybe people will think you are funny
>not having a will, soul, or thoughts of your own
>just being a woman in general
ugh tbf kinfolk
>>
>>7309304
She's looks high as fuck.

>>7309588
At least one of the pages should have the text formatted in the shape in a vulva. I would buy it just for that. Even better if if on subsequent pages, it's shooting delicious cum juice words out of it and down the page.
>>
fuck, do I have to think of an idea by the end of today?

god I can't think of anything... I just finished Blood Meridian for the first time so everything I come up with is reminiscent of that
>>
>>7310329
I think the goal of this is that you just start writing and let it come to you.

I know it sounds retarded. I'm actually fairly sure it is retarded.
>>
>>7310329
Just write everything, don't worry about it.
>>
>>7308703

>writing my first novel a week ago
>looking down at other people for trying to write

K lmao
>>
>>7309922
If the alleged rapist was a college quarterback, wouldn't there be counter-pressure not to testify against him? After all, he would also be a popular kid.

Try to switch them around; tell the story of the quarterback who witnessed an alleged rape of Stacy by a shut-in nerd.
>>
>>7309091
I'd make love to the first semen demon.
I'd hurt the second one.
i'd draw the third one.
The fourth one doesn't exist.
The fifht one is a man.
>>
File: venice22072.jpg (972 KB, 1410x2250) Image search: [Google]
venice22072.jpg
972 KB, 1410x2250
I've done 2k words on my first day for my NaNo novel. This is my second attempt, only managed 15k last year, so I'm adding to it this year.

Done 500 words for my short story too, goal is 10k by the end of the month, so my total daily goal is 2500 words.

Weird fact, after deciding to call my novel 'Venice 2027" I've look around online for cyberunk inspiration images and a possible book cover pic. After finding pic related, I reverse reverse google searched it to ask the artist if I could borrow the pic for NaNo, and then I realised that the image is titled ~"Venice Beach 2072"
I still cannot get over the coincidence, very spoopy.
>>
>>7309304
>dat shelf
I'm ready to die.
>>
File: 1441682952186.gif (365 KB, 500x275) Image search: [Google]
1441682952186.gif
365 KB, 500x275
>>7310752
2 spoopy 4 me
>>
Post your word counts, fagmuffins. No slackers allowed.
>>
>>7308669
Started on mine early this morning.
Got about 1200 words.

Having fun so far.

I've already got a handful of other projects going, but I dunno, it's nice to have something to participate in.

Kind of sad how everyone on here thinks they're "above" this, but probably has never even finished a novel.
>>
>>7311230
>Kind of sad how everyone on here thinks they're "above" this, but probably has never even finished a novel.
I agree completely. Some of the most enduring literature of all time was written as a marathon.
>>
>>7310043
Keep at it, son. It's not horrible for a first pass.
>>
File: RobertLouisStevenson.jpg (54 KB, 435x576) Image search: [Google]
RobertLouisStevenson.jpg
54 KB, 435x576
>>7309307
The writer of 'Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde' thinks you're a faggot.
>>
>>7310752
Cool cover bro. You may be able to troubleshoot /gd/ for advice if you want to make it slicker after you're done with the actual writing.

Hope the story doesn't suck. Got a brief summary?
>>
Started at 4AM yuropoor time. Had 1.5k words by 5am. Feels slow.
>>
what would be the best medium for the denizens of /lit/ to get a group together for nanowrimo? Google group? private subreddit?
>>
nanowrimo doesn't make novels but it does make for decent motivation. It's still going to be shit, but who cares? I'll eventually be dead.

progress:
http://neuraliver.tumblr.com/
>>
What's the best writing application if I'm going to tackle this?
Considering Google docs, if only for portability, but I don't want it to bite me in the ass later if 50k is too much for it.
>>
>>7308669
Oddly enough, I got an idea that totally revamps my current novel, so I chucked out the 50 pages I already had and I'm re-writing it from a new approach... so, let's fucking do it WriNoMaNia
>>
>>7311822
WordPad documents saved on floppy disks.
>>
>>7311822 pen and paper, then type it into a pitated copy of the newest version of word.
>>
>>7311856
>>7311858

kek

Dry erase board documented via 240p cell pics it is then.
>>
>>7311822
Docs is fine you just have to make sure you're skipping right to the end of the document rather than loading every page every time.
>>
Bump for more NaNo
>>
>>7308669
Crap I forgot all about NaNoWriMo but I swore I'd finally do it this year.

>>7308703
I don't care, I just want to write my 50k to prove to myself I can still accomplish basic personal goals while hopefully rekindling my love of writing.
>>
>>7308703

>If you are writing 14,000 words per day, you are not writing quality prose.

Someone hasn't heard of methamphetamine.
>>
>>7312204
>rekindle your love of writing
>with a grueling ordeal
No. Here's what you do: Find a relatively cheap B&B in small town a few hundred kilometres away and book in there for two weeks. Go alone. Leave your computer at home. Leave your phone at home or off. Spend those two weeks strolling the countryside, drinking whisky with the blue-collar workers in the local tavern, and writing. On paper. With a pencil.

Then you'll remember why you loved writing.
>>
>>7312689
Go to bed, Cormac.
>>
>>7312689
No, I'll convince myself that writing is too much work. Fuck, Im not even some NEET fag but having a life so I can write based on my experiences is fucking hard yo
>>
>>7309415
It's good and bad: good in that more people will start writing, bad that most people will write trash. Don't care much for it either way.
>>
>>7309269
Papyrus or Wingdings
>>
New to writing.
Completely intimidated by everything.
Been reading the war of art and what I talk about when I talk about running to keep me motivated.
Got any more suggestions?
Thanks
>>
>>7312878
What?
>>
>>7312878
I'd just start writing and worry about the craft aspect later. The first thousands of words you're going to write will suck either way, even if you read every book on writing before.
>>
>>7312912
Thank you.
>>
>>7310752
>mike le watt
oh yeah i hadn't thought of that
>>
>>7308703
this
>>7310429
>>
>>7308680
>>
>>7312689

>writing by hand.

I hate my handwriting, so fuck no.
>>
>tfw you been doing NaNoWriMo for september and october already and are at 100k words and will have a publishable novel ready at the end of the month

fingers crossed, I mean
>>
>>7309380
A fucking book trailer? What?
>>
>>7308703

Writing a book sounds hard at first, especially when you are used to reading good books.

You feel so much pressure to be that great writer you imagine yourself as, but in reality, you are just setting your own bar too high.

The trick is to realize that if those "Bad" writers can get away with it, you can too. Write shit, then make it better latter. Not everyone gets to start out as a master, and there is literately no difference between you and the people you hate. You just project your own inadequacy onto them.
>>
I write YA sci-fi with a female protagonist, and it's gonna make me rich. I love NaNoWriMo, but holy shit the people who's doing it from Norway are the fucking weirdest people I've ever come across. And for some reason they all write "urban fantasy"
>>
>>7311763
Goodreads has good groups. You should make one and link it here. Honestly it's a great community site barring the fact some people leave silly reviews
>>
>>7313681
>sci-fi
>ever selling

The Nanowrimo forums are messed up, though. You suddenly realize how many 12 year olds want to write a novel.
>>
>>7309304
baka desu senpai
>>
>>7309477
This is wonderful, everyone should write something. I want to read this book completed.
>>
>>7313704
Yeah it's not like divergent or hunger games or the maze runner ever made any money amirite
>>
>>7314402
i think you're right
>>
>>7314402
Sci-fi isn't YA. If you're writing YA, just say so.

>But Goodnight Moon is sci-fi because it involves space!
Eat shit.
>>
>>7314664
I literally said "I write YA sci-fi"
>>
>>7314669
There is no such thing.
>>
>>7313440
Noice! Good job, anon.
>>
>>7313681
It's too late for that. If you finished it tomorrow it'd still take nine months to get through the publishing process, and by then everyone would be onto the next fad.
>>
>>7308703
>If you are writing 14,000 words per day, you are not writing quality prose.
>You are simply spewing out brain-farts from the magical fantasy land in your head that you have created to escape reality.

>as if all prose weren't brain farts from magical fantasy land we create to escape reality
>>
>>7314674
There is today granpa
>>
File: IMG_0865.png (130 KB, 480x240) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0865.png
130 KB, 480x240
I want to write a 10 chapter novel that sits around 100 pages. My goal is to not outline the book at all and only outline individual chapters, building them off of one another. I hope I can write pretty quick and get a ~10 page chapter done every day or so. Then spend a day outlining the next chapter, then two or so writing it. I'll have to use my weekends as boosters to get more writing done.

I've wanted to write a story for a long time that uses my city of Columbus, Ohio as a backdrop with which to criticism millennial values like the fetishization of shitty art, extremist almost paranoid ideology, and taking internet shit way to seriously.

Ideally the story will start out as a pretty normal, but mildly eclectic, romantic bildungsroman before dissolving completely into a surreal nightmare of conspiracy theories, political obsession, shitty art, and self-obliteration.

No idea if it will be good or not, but I'm more excited for NaNoWrMo because I'm usually a very slow and laborious writer so I think giving myself a time constraint like this will be healthy for my process and help me make more natural work.

I'll also like the chance to fuck around with different styles and experiments. Also, don't really care about the 50,000 word goal. My goal right now is 10 chapters of 10 pages roughly. If I finish early I'll type some short intercalary chapters or some shit.
>>
>>7314818
That actually sounds like a great way to approach it, and unlike most NaNo story ideas yours doesn't make me retch immediately. When you finish it make sure you post it (or a link to it) on lit.
>>
>>7314818
>Ideally the story will start out as a pretty normal, but mildly eclectic, romantic bildungsroman before dissolving completely into a surreal nightmare of conspiracy theories, political obsession, shitty art, and self-obliteration.
I'm in
>>
>>7314674
"YA" is not a definitive genre. It's more of a style than anything else.

>>7314751
Oh, but I'm not writing anything like those books. It's not a dystopian society or anything, more of a space opera.
And it's not something I'm writing on a whim. I've spent almost 2 years working on it.
>>
>Day 3
>4700 words
I'm falling behind, guys. How about you? Keeping up?
>>
>>7308703
>competition

It's not a competition faggot, use it as a chance to experience dead lines as a professional writer. learning to work fast is integral to most professions, writing even more so because you'll be shit broke all the time if you can't churn word counts out.
>>
>On a roll, shits getting real
>"Aw heck yeah, that was good"
>Lovin this
>done for the night, gonna read some book

>oh my god i am worthless this is golden material i will never be worthy why am i doin this i surrender
>>
I was hoping to write the whole lifespan of the character in the novel, but I'm worried that the leaps between chapters might be too large and sudden, plus it might look like I'm trying to cram too much in
What's the best way to go about it?
>>
>>7316315
I understand the 'cramming too much in' thought, but honestly, no leap is too far as long as you keep it interesting. Leaps don't really matter as long as nothing overly drastic takes place in a gap.
>>
>>7316243
I had an opposite experience.
I tend to be stubborn, so when someone argued that "The maze runner" was a great book I read it out of spite to see how bad it was. My writing suddenly looked more than passable in comparison.
But then again, when I read Grapes of Wrath i wanted to never touch a keyboard again.
>>
>>7308697
In my senior year its what our teacher had us do for the whole month so yea pretty much.
>>
>>7308703
This is exactly what I'm doing.
The first year I did some sci-fi stuff about a guy waking up in post-apocalyptia with superpowers and tries to stabilize the civil war between the three remaining nations.

This year I'm going to write some YA stuff about a couple of teen gangs who've all got superpowers.
>>
>>7316235
I meant competition for getting your work published. I know it's not a competition.
>>
Guys, does this sound familiar? I want to check if what I'm doing is basically a subconscious plagiarization of someone else's work.

It's basically;

- Man finds himself being hunted by cosmic horror
- Avoids it by selling his soul to another horror entity
- Lives as a slave in horror dimension
- Tries to stage a revolt and become the next horror entity
>>
>>7311229
what software is that?
>>
>>7309380
this is top tier cringe, poor girl.
>>
>>7316588
It has some old tropes like the Faustian deal and the cosmic horror spin but it mite be cool if you have good characters and setting.
>>
>>7308924
>having 14k words to edit, increases to chance to have more quality in the end

Writing isn't a fucking statistical distribution. The very act of writing such an amount of words per day has consequences of its output value. I'm pretty sure absolutely nothing of worth is hiding in thoses 14,000 daily garbages. Gustave Flaubert also frequently threw away 96% of a page but he was an experienced writer. Honoré de Balzac is often put out as the endlessly writing cliché but before cutting his sleep and writing thousands and thousands of words each day, he spent most of his life having the same kind of lifestyle many here have. He wrote more than 100 books, for fuck sake, he knew what he was laying on the paper, in the end.
>>
>>7317063
Experience is certainly a crucial factor but how are you going to get it? By spending a week on a page like Flaubert? It will still suck if you're a beginner, so might as well write hundred pages in that time, which leaves you with more material to analyse and improve.
>>
>>7317076
Writing 14,000 gives no experience, as some faggot above said it's only brain-farting. A neophyte should indeed spend a week on a page or at least write a decent amount of words, a quantity that won't be absolutely contradictory with the mere idea of thinking about what you're producing. Assuming you have a job, writing 4,000 words each day, with no exception, is already quite hard.
>>
>>7317102
this is like saying journaling is only brain farting. If you don't see the value of grabbing onto a thought and expounding upon it as much as you can, seeing where every loose end takes you. and what ideas it allows you to articulate that you otherwise never would have, then god help you.
>>
>>7317102
4k each day would be quite a lot and closer to 14k than one page a week. (going by both extreme examples)

>a quantity that won't be absolutely contradictory with the mere idea of thinking about what you're producing
Where did you get the idea that 14k words would be completely thoughtless? It could be done in 14h or 1k words per hour, which isn't that fast. Obviously requires the person to be a NEET/free contractor/pensioner/insomniac. Sure, you won't have the time to reconsider every word and phrase at that speed but you're not supposed to do it while writing the first draft either way.
>>
>>7310043
>>7310038
>>7310036
Shows promise anon, you're obviously competent. Try and inject a little bit of passion though, a bit of wilderness into that prose, go crazy with it, or at least - don't be afraid to, if the need comes.
>>
>>7317126
Well, you're the one who started to talk about a page a week and I speak of a completed page, ie already rewritten and corrected, just like Flaubert did.

>It could be done in 14h or 1k words per hour, which isn't that fast
Even a wealthy man who doesn't work can't write continuously for fourteen hour every single day. With such a schedule, you won't ever reconsider it since tomorrow is already dedicated to another 14k words rant. This would be pure shit, the very transcription of everything that we think of during the day, with no coherence, no structure and no style.
>>
>>7309269
Courier New or go home
>>
>>7309922
this is really fucking dumb and transparent. Typical 4channer cynical shut in who every time he hears about a rape thinks "pshh, i bet it wasn't really rape, it's just those damn feminists who hate men"

what a stupid fucking idea.
>>
I'm writing some experimental prose. The whole story is fractured into tiny bits of every event seen through the mind of a painter.

Yes, I'm a huge fag.
>>
I'm going to say my piece on this, because I'm doing this NaNoWriMo thing for the first time this year.

I'm doing it because I'm a lazy piece of shit who has never pulled through with any project or endeavour in the past 5 years of my life.

I spent the whole of October planning out my story - scenes, characters, locations etc. so to those who think this event is about starting one the 1st Nov with no ideas and just writing garbled shite for 30 days you're not entirely correct.

On the 30th when I will hopefully have written 50k words, my "novel" isn't going to be amazing I know. But I'll be 50k words ahead of where I was 30 days prior and I'll continue to add to and edit those 50k words until the work is finally ready for public consumption.

For me, the month is a single event within the whole process of writing a novel - an event that gets me into my chair writing a decent amount per day so that I'll have a good meaty chunk of prose to be proud of.

If anyone has a better way to get people motivated to write then why don't you mass market it and make it a worldwide unofficial event.
>>
>>7318095
>If anyone has a better way to get people motivated to write
What would be the point? If somebody has something to say, the person will be motivated without any outside events.

Also how many words do you have on day 3?
>>
>>7309304
I am shaking my head right now to be quite honest with you family.
>>
>>7318243

I kind of see what you're saying but I don't think that all you need to be motivated is good ideas or something to say. There are plenty of people with nothing to say who still say a lot - so it's not beyond the realm of belief for there to be people who have a lot to say that don't say much, if that makes sense?

I'm on just over 5,000 words now, including prologue, and retiring for the night.
>>
So I don't exactly get this. Is it like a community where you get feedback? Or is it just about word count stats?
>>
>>7318349

You get feedback, support, motivation and the tools needed to write. There's evidently a lot of hate for it here but if you're an aspiring writer who needs a kick up the arse to get going, there's nothing bad about it at all.

The downside that people on /lit/ seem to be worried about is that it just causes an influx of YA/genre fiction writers who think that just because they've written a lot in a short space of time it makes them an 'author'. Which I guess you could say is a bad thing but on an individual level there's nothing but good that the event can do for you.
>>
>>7318416
What does feedback and support mean though? As I understand it you're not actually posting your work to the site. Or do I have that wrong?

Think it could be good either way, I just don't understand what it is besides a word count tracker.
>>
>>7318416
>tfw scared to go to any meetups since everyone there just writes YA/fantasy shit

wat do?
>>
>>7318439

There are forums on the website, and podcasts etc. to help you. There are also sub-groups of people who you can share your work with and get peer-reviews and such.

>>7318449 are there age-specific sub-groups? If you're over 30 I imagine the fantasy/YA shit has a cutoff point at around 21 so sticking to older groups will certainly have a more mature community.
>>
>tfw three days in and you're done nothing
>tfw you know you'll just blow it off again.
Although I have a pretty big exam in a week and a half so I'll probably write some while procrastinating for that.
>>
>>7318464
I'm not quite that old. Also, I'm too lazy to visit another town only to meet some other procrastinators who aren't writing YA/fantasy.
>>
>>7318474

If you're so keen on meeting up with people, why not introduce the event to /lit/ friends you already have? Or join a book group near you and introduce them to it?
>>
>>7318449
Just write intentionality mocking, cliche filled YA stories, then watch it go over everyone's head and cringe internally while they praise your garbage novel.
>>
>>7318491
All the RL /lit/ friends I have are writing YA or fantasy. Life is suffering.

>>7318492
I was thinking about that last year. Maybe I'll actually do it. It might even be fun and give me back some joy for writing.
>>
>>7318502

Out of interest, what are you interested in writing?
>>
>>7318507
Interesting and maybe even experimental literature, I guess. I don't like to cling to a genre for guidance.
>>
>>7318513
>>7318502
>I'm interested in interesting literature
>>7318492
What a scrooge.
>>
>>7318529
If it helps, I enjoy expressionistic poetry and modern literature from 1900-1920. I don't care for intelligible stories and easy reading. I want my shit to be complex, obscure, and deliberately fucking with pleb taste.
>>
>>7318292
>There are plenty of people with nothing to say who still say a lot
Oh yes.

>people who have a lot to say that don't say much, if that makes sense?
Well, if their will/motivation to deliver the message is that weak, is it truly worth delivering? Perhaps it's a bit dogmatic but I think that if you truly have something to say, you will find the motivation to say it. Take the guys who wrote from a jail cell from example.

Though I don't mean to diss anybody who gets shit done, however they managed to do it, it's admirable in it's own way. Just a rant about my ideal of a struggling artist, who writes against all odds and adversaries.

>>7318471
>tfw working on NaNoWriMo and main project at the same time
Though to be fair, skipping uni helps. And stream of consciousness, that shit is almost like cheating.

>>7318513
How does YA/fantasy prevent it from being interesting? Hell, you have even a lot room with experimental if you write YA, since it's more about target group than a genre.

Also how many complex and obscure stories have you written so far?
>>
>>7318544
>Also how many complex and obscure stories have you written so far?

Like, a lot. I've got around 1000 pages of stories centering around different writing techniques or philosophical ideas or psychological phenomena.
>>
>>7313681
Norway
My nigga
>>
>>7309304
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-ISB3M_W68

>03:59
>author
>misspelling "tailor"
>>
>>7318536
>intelligent, nihilistic, and with a wicked sense of humor
>>
>>7318632
>with a wicked sense of humor

That's an interesting description. Because I'm German.
>>
>>7308703
this
>>
>>7318449
Go and bang qt3.14's who desperately want to be the next Veronica Roth.
>>
File: nanowrimo stats.png (37 KB, 295x498) Image search: [Google]
nanowrimo stats.png
37 KB, 295x498
I think nanowrimo is a pretty fun activity.
I just have enough grit and determination to stick to it.
>>
>>7319987
Gotta pick up the pace, anon-kun
>>
>>7320047
I was sick and spent the whole day asleep. I'm working on it.
>>
>>7320113
Sick is for the weak!
>>
>>7309304
>ideas I had for a book tour
kek
>>
>>7318261
Underrated post.
>>
I decided to write for this year's Nanowrimo. I'm honestly really poor with grammar and phrasing, but I really like to come up with stories in my head, have since I was a kid. I also haven't read anything in a long time, worth noting at least.

I'm doing a collection of short stories and was just looking for some pointers as to how make it all work together better? I'm trying to create a very grim and almost lifeless fantasy country, that's surrounded and walled off by other countries which are fairly high fantasy in structure. The stories all focus on the grim country, but I'm having trouble deciding what stories to put into the work and which ones to leave out. I have over 13 different story ideas right now and keep adding more every day. It's my first time writing something in almost 6 years and so I feel a bit overwhelmed. It's a lot of fun though to finally be creating again, even if my writing is piss poor.
>>
>>7321539
What's the point of your story? Coming up with something meaningful to say (i.e. maybe the whole thing is a riff on themes of disconnection, or loneliness) can inspire order, structure and direction in otherwise chaotic writing.

Only shit writing doesn't contain meaning to it.
>>
>>7321573
Well that's the thing. I don't really know meaning beyond just trying to tell a story. I've always wished I could think of deeper meanings to things, but in the end I just end up coming up with whatever I feel would allow the story to flow better. I'm not really that intelligent of an individual, and so I honestly don't even know how to add some deeper meaning to it. I don't intend to be a literary master of course. I'm not really good at subtlety, to some degree at least, and so I have no idea how to create or interject some kind of deeper meaning. I barely graduated high school but I love to create worlds and ideas, world building is my favorite thing to do. Unfortunately beyond that I have no idea. Sorry if this makes me sound ignorant or stupid or something like that.
>>
>>7316553
I think it's good to have a balance of works in your head. Even when you read less than stellar books, I find that the process of going through it and figuring out what I would've done if I was writing it exercises my capability to think more critically when I go back to my own work. When you've got works you admire, then you can try to suss out what about them intrigues or inspires you.
>>
>>7316704
Jer's Novel Writer. Extremely lightweight writing tool for Mac only.
>>
>>7309141
Wow, your story has 1728 characters? How do you keep track of them all?
>>
Shit it's NaNo again? Should I try and force myself to write something or should I just accept that I'll never write anything of substance in my life.
>>
>>7321801
Force yourself. You gotta start somewhere, desu baka senpai.
>>
>>7308669
So /lit/ I how do I write a story in Japan/with Japanese characters without it sounding too weeby?
>>
>>7321835
Okay. I've been re-reading a lot of lesbian iCarly fanfiction recently alongside my University work so I'll write an edgy teen romance as viewed by Tacitus.

>>7321852
Just use desu and senpai a lot desu senpai. But seriously you'd need to have good knowledge of specific customs and locations and the culture before doing something like this so I'd recommend not doing it unless you have good knowledge of Japan that isn't from anime and only do it if it's absolutely necessary to the plot.
>>
How does everyone choose name's for their characters? Using name generators seems like the easy way out but honestly I can't find myself liking any of the names I make up.
>>
>>7321876
Don't you imagine a vague sound when thinking about a character name? Find a name that sounds close to that.

Besides, you can simply go by culture.
>>
File: sex motorcycle.png (94 KB, 751x376) Image search: [Google]
sex motorcycle.png
94 KB, 751x376
I need a handle to sign up to this site for memes. What meme should I be, boys?
>>
>>7321876
>names
>characters

Good one!
>>
File: Capture.png (6 KB, 614x67) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
6 KB, 614x67
>>7321876
Names are dumb, you wanna go for some postmodern-tier memery
>>
>>7308669
nothing. I don't have the attention span to write a novel and though ideas are circulating around in my head most are generic as shit and are only fragments of ideas.

>reincarnation and a purgatory between lives where inhabitants are tested to ascend to nirvana or plummet back to earth for another cycle
>a stretch of america where the roaring 20s never ended
>twin magicians, a boy and a girl, one pure of mind and the other pure of heart

and a bunch of other bullshit that I can't think of a way to fit together into a coherent story that isn't shit
>>
>>7322068
desu, postmodernism and steam of consciousness should be banned for NaNoWriMo
>>
>>7322076
>steam of consciousness should be banned for NaNoWriMo

YOU TAKE THAT BACK
>>
>>7322024
pls rspnd
>>
>>7322103
NoDiscernibleTalent
>>
>>7322075
>a stretch of america where the roaring 20s never ended
This sounds like something from the Twilight Zone. It would make a good short story.
>>
File: ss+(2015-11-05+at+01.18.51).jpg (17 KB, 408x125) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-11-05+at+01.18.51).jpg
17 KB, 408x125
>>7322411
better than what I went with
>>
>>7321876
Behind The Name random generator. Tick the culture of the characters parents, flip through a couple of names until one jumps out. Either stick with that name, or it will inspire another one which I'll use.

I like this method for its randomness, and for the disconnect it gives between the character and the writer. None of us get to pick our own names, keeping that rule true for a fictional character makes everything feel more real.
>>
File: nanowrimo day 4.png (39 KB, 295x498) Image search: [Google]
nanowrimo day 4.png
39 KB, 295x498
I DID IT. I caught up! Take that being sick.

Plus I feel really good about my pace.
>>
>>7322413
I'm actually thinking the last two would could make a great short story, but the first one can't happen without it being at least a novella.
>>
>>7321852
I'm actually doing this but I did around two years of research and altered the setting slightly to cover blind spots. The setting is a Japan of 2017 that was annexed by the United States in 1952, so it helps cover a couple of blind spots, especially regarding Japanese law. The culture I've done a fuckload of research on and still do so daily. Look for academic papers. If it takes place in a school I HIGHLY recommend you read up on ijime; there's a lot of decent sociological studies on it with examples. It is a specific facet of Japanese school life that in a microcosm captures many cultural values.

If you have no idea about anything about Japan, I strongly advise against it. Haruki Murakami and Sri Lankan picture books do not count as cultural exposure.
>>
>>7321876
Since my book features mostly Japanese names I just search kanji I like and try to find a name that sounds good. For non-Japanese names I use Germanic sounds or French sounds since I speak the latter fairly well (I'm rusty though) and the former I've been meaning to learn German and Icelandic.
>>
>>7322505
Did that hack ever go to a Norwegian wood, anyway?
>>
File: Bravo.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
Bravo.gif
1 MB, 320x240
>>7322477
Doesn't it feel good?
>>
>>7322512
>mostly Japanese names
Been meaning to write a story with Japanese characters. How do you do it without it sounding too weebish?
>>
>>7322564
It does honestly. I even started a day late. So it feels good to be caught up with everyone else doing it.
>>
Hey NaNoLit, quick question: is it normal to write something, feel good about it, and then a few hours later (without even looking at it again) feel really awful about it. Like, you feel as though you wasted that hour you spent writing, and all you can do is cringe when you think about it.

Happens to me every time, and it just now set in for NaNo. 7000 words and I don't even want to open the document today because I feel like it's a waste of time and probably just awful. How do I overcome this? Is my brain broken?
>>
>>7322601
That's how I feel whenever I write anything; essays, articles, emails.

If you can, try and edit it so you're happy. If not, just plough on.
>>
>tfw my goal is a 5000 word short story
>tfw struggling at 2000 words

I suddenly get these ideas and an urge to write but I hate my writing and nobody will read it anyway.
>>
>>7321852
Research. Endless research.

>>7322415
Aesthetic/10.

>>7322601
Yes, always. You were performing a mental colonoscopy. Now you can take the bad ideas and figure out what was bad with them and build new, better ideas. If you can't stand looking at what you wrote before, don't even bother looking at that, just give yourself a big break at the bottom of the document and start writing from there.
>>
>>7309304
I'd do so many lewd and obscene things to this girl.
>>
>>7322601
That's pretty much the point of Nano, to get over that feeling. Anybody who starts NaNo and is at least partly self-aware realizes that what they're writing is garbage, but the process of writing garbage is to first step towards self-improvement. Those 7k words probably already made you a better writer, you just won't know it for another few months when you try again.
>>
>>7322575
First off, see my post here: >>7322505
Acquaint yourself with ideals of both the Nipponese Zeitgeist (eg; wa (和), yamatodamashii (大和魂), honne/tatemae (本音・建前), ie (家), etc.); and also aspects of modern subculture (Shibuya fashion, variety shows, idolshit, 2ch, le jazz maymay, etc.) Start with Wikipedia shit for basic stuff then go into more detailed cultural studies on specific concepts. Pay attention especially to where American culture has influenced Japanese culture as well. The American occupation of Japan began in 1945 and ended in 1952. It's probably best that you have a working knowledge of Japanese history from at least 1952 onwards, since that's more or less what Japan is today, though obviously older concepts date back to older periods, like certain forms of art and the family registry system. Also good to know are social problems in Japan (ijime, falling birthrate, hikkiNEET/freeters, adolescent suicide, the society of gaps, the 2030 problem, marginalized minorities such as the Ainu, Burakunin, Ryukyuan peoples and Korean/Chinese expatriates, etc.).

There are a lot of very small differences between our cultures that you might not consider, so it's always, always good to check WHENEVER you sense you're not sure. For example, recently I found out that policemen in Japan tend to have a lot closer relationships with suburbanites and other nearby residents. A new policeman would often go door to door and introduce himself. If he sees something unsafe in terms of security, he may leave a note or his card in your mailbox. This might be an invasion of privacy in American terms, but in Japan the police are thought more of a paternalistic figure looking out for the community.

For Japanese character naming, which you might also ask about, I tend to use this site http://classic.jisho.org/words?jap=&eng=&dict=enamdic

I usually use a method similar to Gen Urobuchi's where the names aren't so complicated that they're hard to spell or remember, but unique enough that by some miracle I become popular, someone could Google them and get relevant results.

Generally I go for unusual last names but common first names, in terms of the sound, but I try to use unique spellings for the first names as well. Avoid anything whose meaning sounds like, overly edgy unless you're going for that effect. Like, if the character's name means DOCK FRAME MASTAA then you've fucked up.
>>
>>7323179
Some other things to keep in mind regarding names are conventions regarding their construction so you don't look like a huge nerd and name a male character with a super female name.

Female names have virtually no restrictions regarding what characters they contain. Like, if you wanted to name your kid fucking Tree there's probably four different ways to read 木 that are plausible female names. Most Japanese names in general are between 1-4 syllables, though two and three is most common. As for female name conventions, many names end in 子 (ko-child), 音 (ne-sound), 香 (ka-fragrance). This is a convention and not really a super hard and fast rule. Ayano, Mashiro and Sakura are all super common names in Japan and none of them end in those characters.

Male character names are a lot harder. Many, many male names in Japan end in 郎 (rou-son) or 介 (suke-no appropriate in context meaning). There are, of course, exceptions; Shun, Ken'ichi and Yukio are all legit male names.

As another rule, avoid names with like, three vowels in a row (this includes ん); they sound anime as fuck. These are names like Ain, Rein, Reon. They look fucking weird and for some Japanese speakers are actually hard to pronounce, for some reason. Avoid characters with negative traits unless you want that. These would be characters like 死 (death), 病 (illness), 殺 (kill), etc. These names are weird and also generally kind of snowflake-y.

Surnames are usually location names or natural objects, reflecting a heritage similar to the Western convention of naming people after the places they came from. I try to use more interesting last names since Japan is fucking overflowing with Tanakas, Yamadas and Yamaguchis.

Lastly, avoid the name Hanako. It's like, the Bob of names.

Examples of my character's names:
暁星苺姫 (Maki Akeboshi- shining+star/planet [these two characters are an old word for Venus that read as gyosei normally; since she's associated with pride I decided to associate her with the morning star], strawberry+princess [her mother was a strawberry farmer])

青木永花 (Eika Aoki- green + tree [common-ish last name, calls vitality to mind], eternal flower [she's terminally ill and I'm being post-post ironic])

森乃林 (Kiki Morino- Forest+from [grew up in Aokigahara's general area] + grove [this character normally reads as Rin, but the individual radicals 木 read as ki. There's two so Kiki. I think I'm more clever than I probably am.]

I hope this was helpful to you fucking weeaboos.
>>
>>7308669
Wanted to tackle my YA book since that's the easiest of my projects to write. Unfortunately even my YA concept requires piles of research that I still haven't had time to do. November is probably my fucking busiest month every year and I never finish.
>>
Is it correct to use "because" in this sentence?: More money should be invested in wind, solar, and wave power _______ we don't need to burn so much coal, gas, and oil.
My teacher told me is not, that is "so that"
>>
>>7323179
>>7323270
Just as some background, I know some if not most of your cultural points as well as the Japanese language aspect (been studying it for 5 years). Things like honne/tatemae, yamato damashii, variety shows, idols, 2ch, shibuya/modern fashion, modern japanese history, korean/chinese minorities, ijime, falling birthrate, NEETs/freeters, suicide rates, the lost decade, as well as Japanese naming conventions were all stuff I already knew. Don't know if this helps but thank you for the advice though. My major problem is how to put Japanese customs and culture into character interactions. Should I have them interact like "normal" people and if not how much "Japanesse-ness" should be present in their personality to make it seem realistic while at the same time not alienating the reader?
>>
>>7323303
Eh I've just been doing it like you would a constructed culture; have your characters interact like normal human beings and only stop to explain shit when it's important. Just treat the setting as normal backdrop that's just part of the character's lives. If you exoticise it too much and explain shit like a billion fucking times a chapter it will read like very dry historical fiction. Avoid Japanese words unless absolutely fucking necessary (things like kotatsu and futon are okay, and food names, but under no circumstances should a character say itadakimasu or senpai). Generally speaking, cultural preconceptions probably will work best with the audience if it's treated like a normal facet of the character's personality. Like, for example, if your protagonist is a bully, then you can write them bullying some weak nerd for reasons of "they're fucking up the social order" or "goddamn I hate that they're so quiet, she's probably acting high and mighty", which are attitudes that can resonate if presented without dictating in lockstep that it's Japanese culture. You simply develop this hatred for someone undesirable like you would any other trait and avoid over-explaining to your reader that there's some hegemonic aspect to their behavior if it's irrelevant to the plot. You can subtly imply that this is normal in other ways.

Here's an example from my book. My main character has a large scar across her right cheek due to an assault on her as a child. She's bullied because a) the scar makes her look like a punk and b) the resulting PTSD from the incident made her extremely introverted for a long time. One of her bullies is a character who is half-Japanese, half-white, though she's not the ringleader and just goes along with it. My main character shows a mixture of distaste at her mixed-status but doesn't hold her as culpable as the bullies since if she didn't bully then she'd be their target instead. Without having to get into too much detail, I have established that a) distrust or distaste at halves is a normal behavior, b) that bullies pick on those who are different and c) active audience members may be in on it out of fear, thus giving some dimension to it. All naturally and without having to explain the complex social interactions of high school girls.
>>
>>7323293
I'm pretty sure your teacher is right. If you want to understand why there's a ton of google results for "because vs so that" which should clear it up.
>>
>>7323359
Oh ok that makes a lot of sense. I was just wondering because I wanted to write a story with Japanese mages with a magic system loosely based off of the Nanoha series (magic is coding and programs and all that) and that's mainly why I was wondering. For the most part though, it sounds as if I should just explain a character's quirks and how social norms work from a social point of view instead of a cultural point of view.
>>
>>7323365
He's not native english speaker, neither do I. I think you can use both; I just want to clear it up
>>
>>7323283
It doesn't actually have to be November for you to write
>>
>>7323293
Because is finite, so that is infinite. In this case you're using a finite in an infinite clause. As such, 'so that' is the correct conjunction.
>>
>>7323370
Yeah, probably best that way. Like, Hanako is bullying Akika because she's a weirdo who doesn't talk to her and is a short shorty, not because she feels a strong urge to preserve the wa by eliminating dissidents because she hates individualism and wishes to ostracize people who subscribe to it.

While the latter is an accurate description of her behavior, it's not the first thing that comes to her head when she's stealing Akika's shoes. If you present this stuff in an anthropologist's field notes kind of way it feels sterile and lifeless, and the reader can't connect to it and thinks your moonman culture is made of fucking aliens or some shit. You will have some fagosaurs who won't connect with your characters no matter what they do since certain non-overlapping cultural phenomena might seem weird to Americans or Yuropoors, but as long as whatever they're doing isn't fucking repulsive or repellent, you should be fine for the overwhelming majority of readers (generally speaking murder, rape and pedophilia tend to trigger pearl-clutching, but those things are frowned upon in Japanese society as well, so unless your character is a weird smelly NEET that constantly faps to lolis then you should be good).
>>
>>7323411
>generally speaking murder, rape and pedophilia tend to trigger pearl-clutching, but those things are frowned upon in Japanese society as well, so unless your character is a weird smelly NEET that constantly faps to lolis then you should be good
Thankfully I don't have that in my story (since the main interpersonal problems have to do with opening up to others and the Japanese-esque problem of intimacy with others) mostly because the main cast is girls.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.