[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why were the Lord of the Rings books considered unfilmable?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: Nicolas-Cage-Lord-of-the-Rings.jpg (106 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
Nicolas-Cage-Lord-of-the-Rings.jpg
106 KB, 720x480
Why were the Lord of the Rings books considered unfilmable?
>>
There's a pretty simple reason for this.
The universe just had such a grand scale beyond reality. The wars required massive amounts of extras, usually in fullbody costume and makeup, or at least a computer system that could project that. The universe itself was so enormous and sprawling it required an inordinate amount of green, natural land to film on. The settings ranged from intricate castles to incredible, dusty dungeons to entire villages that had never been made in reality before. That's why animation was such an attractive option for LOTR and The Hobbit.

And then Peeta Jikson showed up with billions of dollars and went above and beyond the call to do it because fanboys.
>>
Because the most interesting part of it is scholasticism: history, poetry, genealogy, language, this stuff has nothing to do with how film works. Luckily from book two on it turns into full on "get the bad guy" shit so it was just a matter of technology catching up.
>>
Dune is unfilmable
>>
File: 1411409579168.jpg (63 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1411409579168.jpg
63 KB, 640x480
>>7883822
>were
>books
To make the book* filmable, PJ had to remove the entirety of its depth, adapting every character to a cinematic archtype and marginalizing any real power the universe had.
There was no Aragorn, just some guy named Aragorn who was your generic doubtful hero, etc..
>>
File: 1442605109074.jpg (80 KB, 808x606) Image search: [Google]
1442605109074.jpg
80 KB, 808x606
>>7883822

Because it doesn't matter how ambitious a source material is, how ambitious a director is, how ambitious a team is.

Movies.

Cost.

LOTS.

Of money.
>>
File: 6a0.jpg (32 KB, 480x241) Image search: [Google]
6a0.jpg
32 KB, 480x241
>>7883900
It's really a shame that I will never be able to read or watch Dune.

I know it's a great series, but... My ex was obsessed with it, and he abused me to the point of suicide twice. I had to go to a fucking mental clinic because of him, spent a week with no shoelaces and didn't think I could have a decent relationship again.

I was a diligent partner - submissive, anyway. For his birthday I bought him the complete series of the Dune comic books made in the 1970s. Now I can't look at it without thinking about him, so I don't think I'll ever be able to read or watch it. That really makes me sad.

Inb4 homo, get over it.
>>
>>7883979
eat shit, faggot
this isn't your fucking blog
i would have thought you were a woman
the only thing to not "get over" is you assuming other people care
that i care about!
(not your bloated asshole)
>>
>>7883979
There's something oddly comforting about the fact that there are abusive gay men in the world
>>
>>7883979
you're not gay for fucking dudes

you're a gay for being so impressed with another dude that he actually harms you, especially when he's a faggot
>>
>>7883979
>btw guyz im (not) a gurl
>>
>>7883979
you should seriously kill yourself
>>
>>7883979
just because you are a faggot, doesn't mean you have to act like one.
>>
>>7884068
I wish more homosexual people understood that this is the main beef about the thing
>>
>>7884083
I had a gay regional manager at my old company tell me that. he was talking about himself. it was hilarious.
>>
>>7884068
How's he acting like a faggot? Gay men are just as subject to abuse as women.

It's really easy to tie bad feelings to an object. Pretty sure some of us can't watch that one movie because some chick we dated liked it. Anon got fucked up. Same diff.
>>
>some of us can't watch that one movie because some chick we dated liked it. Anon got fucked up. Same diff.

I'd call a straight person a faggot for that too
>>
>>7884137
him telling us about it (and then "btw im fag") when it had nothing to do with the thread was being a faggot
>>
>>7883979
lel
>>
>>7883900
Jodorowsky can do it
>>
File: 50shades.jpg (534 KB, 700x1399) Image search: [Google]
50shades.jpg
534 KB, 700x1399
>>7884137
>>
>>7884009
It's shitty all the way around.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.