[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
To start off with, I've never been on this board before
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
To start off with, I've never been on this board before so I'm not even sure if this belongs here, but let's give it a go.

The book is always better than the movie.

Except in THE FUCKING CASE OF LORD OF THE RINGS

I cannot understand what makes people think that this book (trilogy = book in this description) is better than Peter Jackson's movies, so I'd be very grateful if someone could explain that.

And no, being the first at something doesn't mean that you're the best. Not many people go around saying "oh man the lyre is the best instrument ever because it's (one of) the first, fuck "insert musician name here".

First off, the books have absolutely no soul. Sure, JRRT is pretty damn good at describing nature and shit, landscapes and whatnot but man, his characters are black and white, nothing more, nothing less. Gandalf dies - two lines uttered by Frodo and Aragorn to commemorate their fallen comrade. Boromir dies - same fucking thing. There's more emotion from a truck driver from Oklahoma running over a snail than in this shit.

Second of all, some subplots are useless. Ayy I'm gonna make the hobbits get lost again and introduce this all-powerful wizard type fella who isn't affected by the main cause of havoc in the world and then just.. forget.. about.. his.. existence.. OH NO! HOW COULD PETER JACKSON NOT INCLUDE SUCH AN IMPORTANT CHARACTER!??
OH NO!

Prove me wrong.
>>
a lot of whats impressive about LOTR is its world building. JRR tolkien created the world, peter jackson just filmed it.
>>
Might add this too:

I loved The Hobbit (the book) and am planning to read the Silmarillion. This is exclusively about the LotR trilogy.
>>
>>7866243
>no soul
You obviously don't know how to read poetry.
The soul is what Jackson stripped out of the novel, not the other way around. Screaming and writhing over a wizard's death is really not worth it considering how fucking old he was, it's fine. Also, how many books have you read with good mourning scenes? Shit like that would read horribly on paper, and if some great flowery eulogy, it slows down the novel (believe it or not, there is pacing in the writing even if you're too bad a reader to appreciate it), and would've been too saccharine after... two lines.
but if this is b8, m8 I rate 8/8
>>
>>7866265
Literally any book ever. Plus, he wasn't a random wizard, he was a fucking friend. Did I really post this in the wrong thread or are there simply no arguments as to why the books are better?
>>
>>7867895
Meant to say board instead of thread.*
>>
>>7867899
This is the right board. But people have already answered you: Tolkien is renowned for his world building.
>>
>>7866248
this
JRR Tolkien did all the work
What makes the movie good is the story line, the creatures, the places, all the shit that was created by Tolkien
Jackson had the easy job
>>
>>7867895
>>7867899

Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean it's not the correct one, you fucking idiot.

If you're looking for an instance where the film surpasses the book, look at Fight Club.
>>
>>7867934
He just had to shorten it and focus on the action.
>>
Tolkien is the best traditional fantasy writer ever.

and he's still a terrible writer
>>
>>7866243
You are clearly a pleb with absolute shit taste. Please kill yourself faggot
>>
I'll tell you why...
Tom Bombadil
Coolest character ever written
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.