[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Goosebumps General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 34
File: The_Haunted_Mask.jpg (39 KB, 300x431) Image search: [Google]
The_Haunted_Mask.jpg
39 KB, 300x431
>favorite/least favorite book
>favorite/least favorite cover
>favorite/least favorite episode
>other books by R.L. Stine
>nostalgia feels
>>
File: image.jpg (51 KB, 316x461) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51 KB, 316x461
Didn't we just have one of these?
Attack of the Mutant; Go Eat Worms
Egg Monsters From Mars; Deep Trouble 2 (holy shit that cover was bad)
>favorite episode
I only saw one. My library had a copy of Night of the Living Dummy 3. Even at the time I knew it sucked.
I read the first Mostly Ghostly recently... I'm sure I would have liked it more if I was still 9
>nostalgia feels
trading the books around at recess, then seeing the way they'd circulate during the following weeks/months. Sometimes I'd get one of my original ones back, and be in awe of the stories it could probably tell (besides the printed one).
>>
File: image.jpg (40 KB, 316x463) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40 KB, 316x463
Been over a decade since I last read one.

Still, pic related always stuck with me. Main character was a Robot in Training. I couldn't even tell you the plots to the rest, though I remember really liking them at the time.
>>
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 204x248) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 204x248
Camp Jellyjam; Monster Blood
The Haunted Mask 2; My Hariest Adventure
The Cuckoo Clock of Doom: How I Got My Shrunken Head
>other books
I read some of the new Horrorland series, if that counts. I think I also read a Fear Street back in the day
>nostalgia feels
Oh man, where do I start? Goosebumps was my life. You weren't cool if you didn't have some of these in your backpack, and a Goosebumps-themed folder/binder/etc.

Then when I was 14 I became a fag, and let my mom donate my "faggy Goosebumps books". It hurts to think about now, OP.
>>
File: image.jpg (18 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18 KB, 275x183
Never read any of the books. This is the only Goosebumps thing I've seen.
>>
File: peped.jpg (5 KB, 200x192) Image search: [Google]
peped.jpg
5 KB, 200x192
>>7843124
>cuckoo clock of doom
>favorite book
>>
File: Werewolf_of_Fever_Swamp.jpg (50 KB, 324x475) Image search: [Google]
Werewolf_of_Fever_Swamp.jpg
50 KB, 324x475
Most beautiful cover easily.
>>
File: CWC READING.jpg (75 KB, 800x310) Image search: [Google]
CWC READING.jpg
75 KB, 800x310
Let's consult the true patrician for the best goosebumps of all time

>He [Christian Weston Chandler] informed a fan that his favorite Goosebumps story was "The Haunted Mask." A few days later he stated that this was actually his favorite book of all time.
>>
File: 51W14M6RNXL.jpg (50 KB, 322x475) Image search: [Google]
51W14M6RNXL.jpg
50 KB, 322x475
I own the complete Fear Street series.

This one was nice.
>>
File: Thecurseofcampcoldlake.png (369 KB, 345x500) Image search: [Google]
Thecurseofcampcoldlake.png
369 KB, 345x500
>>7844963
Pretty close, but that goes to pic related
>>
>>7845088
The Haunted Mask is Stine's magnum opus.
>>
>>7845094
I read most of the goosebumps growing up; never read fear street.
Is it worth it, family home evening?
>>
File: 11-1.jpg (96 KB, 580x773) Image search: [Google]
11-1.jpg
96 KB, 580x773
who /choose your own adventure/ here?
>>
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 238x346) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 238x346
>>7845617
My nigga!
Actually pic related is the first Goosebumps book of any kind I read
>>
>>7845560
that cover scared the absolute shit out of me
>>
>>7845601
I always liked them more, but they are not that different. I'm talking about Ghosts of Fear Street, which has the same target readers unlike the original Fear Street series which is supposed to be a little darker and for older readers.
>>
>>7846288
alright good to know m8
>>
>>7846010
me too family matters
>>
File: image.jpg (147 KB, 862x582) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
147 KB, 862x582
I liked the one with the clock.
>>
>Ctrl+F
>no You Can't Scare Me
Plebs! It was a great book AND TV episode.
>>
I had a night are after reading Horrorland, in which I actually was in the amusement park . I remember the sky was all spooky . good times
>>
File: A_Night_In_Terror_Tower.jpg (29 KB, 261x382) Image search: [Google]
A_Night_In_Terror_Tower.jpg
29 KB, 261x382
>>7849298
My primary school library had a Goosebumps game installed on the computers that we would play at recess sometimes, where you could explore an amusement park. Horrorland, presumably

Incidentally I had a nightmare one time where pic related was chasing me down a spiral staircase in a castle
>>
File: goosebumps-covers-1[1].jpg (269 KB, 980x1326) Image search: [Google]
goosebumps-covers-1[1].jpg
269 KB, 980x1326
Favourite is probably A Night in Terror Tower/ least favourite would probably be the Monster Blood series and The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb, The Abominable Snowman Of Pasadena and How I Learned To Fly deserve mention for being better written than most of the series

Anything involving camps or ghosts tended to have the scariest covers

The Haunted Mask was GOAT, Attack of the Mutant was pretty based because it had Adam West in it, all the others were pretty shit

Haven;t read any, does /lit/ have suggestions?

>nostalgia feels
I used to fucking love the Goosebumps website back in the early 2000, I wonder if it's still online, I know amazingly the website for the first Pokemon movie is still online
>>
>>7849046

that was legitimately the most disturbing. it was the only goosebumps book that actually made me feel a sense of horror
>>
>>7849629
>does /lit/ have suggestions?
Mostly Ghostly famm
>>
>>7849596
>Incidentally I had a nightmare one time where pic related was chasing me down a spiral staircase in a castle

Made me kek really hard
>>
File: jewbumps.png (142 KB, 1515x857) Image search: [Google]
jewbumps.png
142 KB, 1515x857
>>7849629
This, senpai?

https://web.archive.org/web/20040815000000*/http://www.scholastic.com/goosebumps/
>>
File: jewbumps2.png (193 KB, 1644x923) Image search: [Google]
jewbumps2.png
193 KB, 1644x923
kek you should check out the old site, OP.
>>
>>7850153
Yeah, the most amazing thing is that I actually did find that website somewhat scary as a kid
>>
>>7850284
Kek
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (57 KB, 318x463) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
57 KB, 318x463
What does /lit/ think of Goosebumps 2000? Some say they're good because of the darker tone, others say they're shit
>>
>>7850406
>darker tone
They're exactly the same. They started coming out the MONTH after Goosebumps ended. It was only a way to cash in on that 2000s nonsense everyone was doing in the late 90s. I wouldn't even be surprised if some of them had started how as planned "originals" and at the last minute they tacked on the 2000.

I heard someone bitch once about how 62 wasn't enough, and I thoughy "There are like 25 more with the 2000 series"
>>
File: 1453115499323.png (69 KB, 416x416) Image search: [Google]
1453115499323.png
69 KB, 416x416
>>7850632
>tfw never even heard of Series 2000
>tfw have no spending cash to buy them anymore
>>
>>7845617
oh snap, RL Stine dabbled with hyper text. cool.
>>
I've only read one Goosebumps book in my life, Be Careful What You Wish For, so I don't know much about them. Any recommendations? The one I've read was about school kids. Are there any decent ones that are focused on adult characters?
>>
>>7844933
He said favorite episode.

It clearly says his favorite book was Camp Jellyjam
>>
>>7842041
Who /hauntinghour/ here?

Best spooks best qts
>>
>>7852829
nightmare room was better
>>
>>7852619
Be Careful What You Wish For was one of the best books, as for recommendation the first 20 books in the original series are pretty based, after that it's more formulaic and hit-and-miss, Terror Tower and Ghost Camp are arguably the two most legitimately scary books in the series
>>
File: hank.jpg (5 KB, 164x228) Image search: [Google]
hank.jpg
5 KB, 164x228
>>7853082
>terror tower and ghost camp
>not The Haunted School
>>
Favorite goosebumps book is the one with the kid who learned to fly. Can't remember the name of it, and it wasn't scary at all, but it gave me feels.
>>
>>7843124

You can find them at garage sales sometimes.
>>
>>7843124
>>7854061
People are always selling huge collections of them on ebay for like 150 dollars. That's 3 dollars a book, which is a pretty good deal.
>>
>>7843124
>>7854061
A couple of years ago I found a torrent with every Goosebumps book, dunno if it still exists tho
>>
I liked the one with the evil mirror. Can't remember what it's called.
>>
>>7854694
Let's Get Invisible famm
>>
File: image.jpg (78 KB, 316x466) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78 KB, 316x466
This is the best one by far.

Kek, waiting for someone to photoshop a neckbeard on the cover. THAT would scare the parents for once!

I'd do it, but I don't really have the time between the shitposting, anime watching, and hot pocket microwaving.
>>
>>7842041
Academic Talk,
could the Goosebumps realistically be squeezed into a single tome?
Those books have pretty thick paper and wide lines, big comfy text.
If you reduced it all to the normal anthology dimensions, could you squeeze the whole series into less than 1,500 pages?
>>
>>7856318
Why would you WANT to?
But yeah, I would say you could.

The first Goosebumps book I ever owned was a triple book volume of the first 3 books. Had the Welcome to the Dead House cover. The other 2 covers were not even printed in b&w within the book.

When I got a bunch of single-volume books later and came back to that volume, it just felt wrong.
>>
>>7856374
>Why would you WANT to?
Well, if RL Stine goes the way of Ray Bradbury or Lovecraft, his stories will eventually be published in anthology collections.
>>
>>7856446
The cover art was the best part about Goosebumps t bh
>>
File: image.jpg (82 KB, 640x749) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82 KB, 640x749
It's times like this I wish I had a job. I spend all my allowance on video games pop and Taco Bell.

If I even had a minimum wage job that would give me the additional money I need to buy the complete goosebumps collections that pop up on ebay (cause I don't think my mom would cut my allowance just cause I got a job).

But I weigh over 260 pounds. Don't think many places want to hire a no experienced 20 year old man landwhale.

I could just not buy those things for a month, but I think I would crash emotionally if they were taken out of my life.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (30 KB, 316x467) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
30 KB, 316x467
Best Goosebump story coming through out of the way fucking shits
>>
>>7857927
If you slowly cut back on those things for a few months, you'd have some money, kick your addictions, and have lost some weight, so now you can get a job (although if you go to burger flipping joints in the busy part of town, they will hire anyone who can work 24/7 cause they have such constant turnover. They might keep you away from customers but so what?)

But if you don't want to do that, you can get them from the library or just use a little bit of your allowance to buy 1 or 2 each duration.
>>
>>7857955
nah, that one was boring af pham
>>
File: bfte.png (216 KB, 372x286) Image search: [Google]
bfte.png
216 KB, 372x286
>Ctrl + F
>"Beast from the East"
>0 results

I knew this subreddit was full of plebs, but come on.
>>
>>7858035
Someone actually said that book on one of the last goosebumps generals, so you should have some hope phampai (unless that was you).
>>
>>7845088
>making fun of a literal autist
Stay classy
>>
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 181x278) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 181x278
>being over 12
>still liking Goosebumps
Holy shit the manchildren need to leave

(Pic related was my favorite AS A KID)
>>
File: schop.jpg (214 KB, 736x798) Image search: [Google]
schop.jpg
214 KB, 736x798
>>7858058
>being a white knight
>>
File: image.jpg (72 KB, 501x712) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72 KB, 501x712
>favorite not being Tick Tock You're Gay
>>
>>7859084
>picking on the easiest targets

I'm for making fun of Jews faggots niggers women and Muslims. Not exactly a /pol/ack either, but those take balls, resulting in being forever vilified online to getting your head chopped off, so I respect the courage (and don't even mind people doing it anonymously, either).

But anonymously picking on a literal autist that has been vilified by everyone is just TOO pussy for me. Sorry. It's also from early 4chan, which sucked compared to modern 4chan, despite the meme that says the opposite.
>>
>>7858035
This one was legit bizarre and paranoid, one of his best
>>
>>7857955
Downloaded it as soon as I read this comment.

Kind of bored me desu, same reaction I remember having as a kid.
>>
I don't consider myself patrician at all... But are we REALLY discussing and praising Goosebumps?

These were trashy KIDS books. HP is one thing, but at least that has a certain standard. For kids books, they're rather good, and even ok for adult books.

Goosebumps... They're something else.

It's the type of thing that if it got discussed here frequently enough, I'd call for a separate board, cause it doesn't really belong here. The board is for LITERATURE, and there has to be at least a little standard for something to be considered literature.

A standard Goosebumps doesn't meet.
>>
>>7859957
It's just people who like books being nostalgic about stuff they read as a kid. It's not "literature" of course but it's a past they all have in common.
>>
>>7859957
I don't agree pham.

Stine's prose in retrospect is embarrassing, and the storytelling rhythms predictable and standard af, but the stories are so fucking based it almost doesn't matter.

There's a lot to criticize about Stine's work, but I think it should at least be considered literature.
>>
>>7845601
Ghosts of Fear Street isn't much different, but Fear Street [not Ghosts of] mostly involves babysitters getting stalked.
>>
Fave books: Attack of the Mutant, Don't Go to Sleep, Ghost Next Door (3 way tie)

Least fave: You Can't Scare Me! (The cover was scarier than the book itself, and nothing even happened.)
>>
>>7857467
This, plus as a collector and materialist, it's most likely if there were an anthology, I definitely wouldn't be reading, and which certainly wouldn't have any value for a collector (of any book, really). That's what worth having the entire collection, anthologies are useless unless you want to ACTUALLY read them.
>>
>>7859957
Why are you doing this. As a kid I Das intrigued by the covers and the shows and decided to collect the books. They aren't supposed to be groundbreaking. They are just extremely nostalgic.
>>
>>7859957
>The board is for LITERATURE, and there has to be at least a little standard for something to be considered literature.
Oh, you're one of those faggots.
Also I don't think anyone in this thread is about to legitimately call theses books high art. There's kinda this half ironic nostalgia circle jerk going around, it's all in good fun. But I wouldn't expect an autist like you to pick up on those rather blatant social cues.
>>
>>7860224
Same here, I remember thinking the cover art was amazing even back when I was 6 and could barely read
>>
>>7842041

What was the one with the giant jellyfish where the kid almost drowned? I always held my breath reading that part.
>>
Shocker on Shock Street had the best cover.

It's been so long since I read the books I can't say which is my favorite. I remember liking the Cuckoo Clock of Doom. And I remember the monster blood books boring me.

I never read any of stines other books, and the tv show was boring.
>>
>>7860288
Sounds like Deep Trouble, even as an adult his description of getting pulled under the surface of a lagoon to be drowned and/or raped by a tentacle monster is pretty fucking scary
>>
File: mila yeh.png (56 KB, 115x190) Image search: [Google]
mila yeh.png
56 KB, 115x190
>tfw I have over 100 Goosebumps books coming to my house sometime this week
Honestly, it doesn't get any better than that famcherrypai
>>
Just to get us in the mood, since nobody's posted it yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXiYpfR-cRE
>>
>>7862867
thanks family guy
>>
>>7862867
>bark bark bark bark bark
>>
>>7842041
fave: deep in the jungle of doom/werewolf of fever swamp
least fave: cuckoo clock of doom
fave: it came from beneath the sink
least: why I'm afraid of bees
fave: a night in terror tower/werewolf of fever swamp/haunted mask
least: can't remember

>nostalgia feels
back tracking on the choose your own adventure ones to get the correct ending
>>
>>7863684
>least: why I'm afraid of bees

That IS the worst cover!
I had that book for over a year before I read it cause the cover was so off putting.
>>
File: wojak-confused.jpg (33 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
wojak-confused.jpg
33 KB, 480x360
>life generally sucks now
>thread gets me nostalgic for a simpler time
>go to ebay to see how much the books cost
>someone is selling the complete collection for 283 dollars.

Should I buy it guys?
>>
>>7864402
That's like 4.5 dollars a book.
There might be better deals but I'd recommend buying the collection at some point.
>>
>>7864402
Use that 283 dollars and go to six flags or like a zoo.
>>
>>7864447
I mean there are other deals where the books average 2.50 a book, but it's not the whole collection. And other similar deals have a lot of overlapping books. And of course supplementing by buying individual books would make the price average out possibly higher than 450 a book by the time the collection is complete.

But yeah, I think I'm gonna do it one of these days.

>>7865031
>zoo
Neets should naturally have a lot of sympathy for animals locked up in cages. We know what it feels like to be trapped in a place with little hope of ever getting out. It's worse for them too because at least we (theoretically) have a chance at escaping our circumstances. They do not.
>>
>ctrl+f Monster Blood IV
>0 results
REEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!
>>
Who /only bought Goosebumps books for their covers and never bothered to actually read them/ here?
>>
>>7866148
The covers were easily the best part of the book but the stories were really comfy too.
>>
File: county.jpg (8 KB, 156x217) Image search: [Google]
county.jpg
8 KB, 156x217
>this thread has been up for a week
>>
File: 24629364.png (77 KB, 491x541) Image search: [Google]
24629364.png
77 KB, 491x541
>>7867422
>there are threads right now on 4chan that have been up for three months
>>
>>7867431
Point me to it senpai
>>
>>7867451
here's one that's been up for a little longer
>>>/i/398517
>>
Goosebumps is for phonys
>>
>>7867451
Oldest thread I could find

>>>/3/484811
>>
>>7866148
I used to rent them from the library just to look at the cool covers when I was very young, once I learned how to read properly I started actually reading them, if I recall correctly I preferred the "choose your own adventure" ones as first, six year old me was kind of a pleb
>>
>>7867951
>>7868073
First time I've been to either board.

Holy shit those are slow. Why not let other boards absorb them at this point?
>>
>>7845617
Oh shit

does anyone remember the one that had an ending where they kept repeating this one word,
it was like a curse or something
>>
File: Yikes.jpg (53 KB, 648x484) Image search: [Google]
Yikes.jpg
53 KB, 648x484
I read say cheese and die again too many times

but I hear that " the curse of the mummys tomb" is the best one.
>>
>>7868422
say cheese and die is master race
mummy's tomb is kind of boring tbqh phfamm
>>
>>7867422
Are you new here?
>>
File: image.jpg (241 KB, 791x1137) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
241 KB, 791x1137
I never read the actual Goosebumps. I did read a bunch of the Give Yourself Goosebumps though. They were pretty comfy.
>>
>>7868941
>read give yourself
>never read the real Goosebums

Holy shit what a fucking heretic!
>>
>>7868941
>>>/out/
>>
>>7868521
oh yeah? aw well. someone said it read like a thriller. Also Slappy made me fear dolls as a kid and even a bit now. Dang R.L. Stine was a master at the spooky aesthetic. The covers are so memorable
>>
>>7868941
Loool I was obsessed with the choose your own adventure goosebumps and this one was my favorite. I think it was one of the longer ones too. I still remember it well
>>
File: image.jpg (21 KB, 297x296) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21 KB, 297x296
>>7857927
>man landwhale
I don't know why this made me kek so hard
>>
>>7857927
Now I feel bad. I had a large collection but I donated it to a local after school tutoring place.
>>
>>7854358
>>7857927
https://thepiratebay.se/torrent/6271401/Goosebumps_collection_epub_ebook

>Don't think many places want to hire a no experienced 20 year old man landwhale.
I don't think a gas station cares about either of those things
>>
>>7845617

This was my hopscotch/infinite jest growing up. Those books were some avantgarde shit now that I think about it.
>>
>Stine has written more than 300 books that have sold a combined 350 million copies around the world.

I know they're shit books but still, I'm jealous. I can't finish this fucking 3 page essay, how long do you think it takes the Stine to write a novel?
Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 34

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.