[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: authors' own favourites that nobody cares about. Any good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: melville-pierre.jpg (18 KB, 303x475) Image search: [Google]
melville-pierre.jpg
18 KB, 303x475
ITT: authors' own favourites that nobody cares about.
Any good?
>>
why don't you read it and find out
>>
>>7846260
I doubt Melville would call Pierre his favorite. He implied that it would be better than Moby-Dick ("Leviathan is not the biggest fish;—I have heard of Krakens"), but after his publishers screwed him he went into full self-destruct mode and added a lot of stuff that sometimes feels out of place (e.g. In the middle if the book, he suddenly makes a character a writer so he can channel his frustration). In my opinion, this just makes the book that much more unique and interesting... especially if you have a copy of the full text and the edited "kraken edition" to compare it with.

When read in the context of his biography, Pierre is a great read. It feels very modernist in some places, is full of hilarious gothic satire (either intentional or not), and you can't beat Melville's prose. On top of that, you have lots of melodramatic dialogue and mother-son and brother-sister incest.

It's a weird book worth looking into.
>>
>>7846343
Yeah okay that sounds ni-
>Melville's prose and mother-son and brother-sister incest.
This is how the backlog grows: along with the penis.
>>
>>7846469
That's why I picked it up too. It's the 18th century, though, so don't expect anything too explicit.
>>
>see this thread
>decide to check out the book because Moby Dick is great
>16 pages in so far, liking it
>For in the ruddiness, and flushfulness, and vaingloriousness of his youthful soul, he fondly hoped to have a monopoly of glory in capping the fame-column, whose tall shaft had been erected by his noble sires
>ruddiness and flushfulness
>capping the column
>whose tall shaft
>had been erected
>>
>>7846652
>by his noble sires
>>
>>7846652
Just wait until you get to Pierre's sister and the hole of her guitar.

it's her vag
>>
>>7846580
Fuck. I meant 19th century.
>>
>>7846260
Don't know about favorite, but
>that nobody cares about
>>
Pierre was a greasy-feeling novel. it was bitter as fuck, and from such an otherwise funny and charming writer -- sort of in the same vein as Twain's Mysterious Stranger-- it made me feel uncomfortable, really, there was some weird desperation in it that just felt disturbing. also like reading the old testament. greasy stuff.
>>
>>7847838
Do you mean grisly
>>
Melville is my favorite writer; Moby-Dick is my favorite book. I'm even a fan of his early and less prestigious works like Typee and Omoo. If I had one wish, it would be to revive Melville and get writing advice from him. His prose is so moving, even when uncouth. I would give both my legs to be able to write like Melville.
>>
>>7850261
you know giving up legs for your goal doesn't work too well in melvilles writing
>>
>>7850288
lol
>>
>>7850261
reddit
>>
File: 1457032087239.jpg (28 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1457032087239.jpg
28 KB, 640x360
>>7851106
What?
>>
>>7851963
That guy didn't like your post so it means you're probably from the website reddit.com, which is the bad website
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.