[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ebooks vs physical copy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 7
File: enhanced-12155-1402327723-22.png (301 KB, 625x319) Image search: [Google]
enhanced-12155-1402327723-22.png
301 KB, 625x319
Which is better?
>>
Ebooks, unless you're a Luddite who needs validation from his material possessions.
>>
I used tp be an ebook man but I know understand the appeal of paperbacks, being able to decimate them in extracting meaning from a text, and thair tactility
>>
Physical copies, unless you're a Luddite who needs validation from his futuristic gizmos.
>>
>>6480540
I don't think you know what Luddite means.
>>
Printed book. The action of turning pages while reading is an aid to absorbing information, I think.
>>
Kindles will never capture that new book smell
>>
>>6480540
Oh man, absolutely btfo. >>6480547
>>
>>6480527
The one that doesn't radiate your balls when you place it on your lap and has infinite battery life. There's no point to ebooks because we have public libraries.

Ebooks are just another tech gadget to sell to retards who will buy anything shiny and claim that it's life-altering.
>>
>>6480551
Is it worth destroying all those trees.
>>
none is better but i only read printed and i recommend it to people

>can show off your collection to people "oh you read xxxx, how'd you like it?"
>a full bookshelf looks nice in rooms
>can remember chronology better because physical page turning and thickness of read part
>you don't look like a middle aged housewife when reading
>>
>>6480559
Is a Kindle worth the slave labor?
>>
>>6480556
See:
>>6480559
>>
>>6480559
yes

trees grow back super fast, we never had too little of them and they get planted for this exact purpose

is it really necessary to use all those precious metals which we will run out of within decades and those chinese kids' lives?
>>
I use both. Some things I prefer to have an actual book if there are footnotes or things I will want to flip back and forth for and other things I read on my kindle. I don't think one is really inherently better than the other.
>>
>>6480559
> MUH TREES

The energy to power your e-shit harms the environment more.

And that's even including all the little asian girls who die making your e-product because they inhaled too much aluminum in shitty chinese factories working 12+ hour shifts.
>>
>>6480564
1000 paperbacks = 100 trees
1 Kindle + 1000 books = ~10 slaves

100 > 10
>>
I find physical books keep my attention for a lot longer.

>>6480534
>I dismiss others' preferences as conspicuous materialism in order to justify my own taste. Look at how much more authentic I am.

You're a faggot.
>>
>>6480564
They would still be slaves whether the Kindle existed or not.
>>
>>6480559
Where do you put an e-gizmo when it's broken?

Oh, right, you send it to a landfill where it pollutes the ground even more than if we were to decimate a huge forest.

Throwing out gadgets is really bad for the environment. Plus, there's planned obsolescence (read Pynchon if you don't believe me) so you WILL have to buy your iBad twice.
>>
>>6480527
Physical if you own property, e if you migrate.
>>
>>6480570
We probably won't ever run out of 'those precious metals'. Those Chinese' kids lives though...
>>
>>6480574
So much for Marxist China.
>>
i just wish i could find out how to turn off the amazon connectivity on my kindle paperwhite. looked into it a while ago but just couldn't figure it out. sure my firewall is blocking all WAN connectivity so it doesn't really matter but it still eats at me knowing it's trying to talk to amazon servers several times every single second.
>>
I prefer to have a physical copy because taking notes is easier, and I feel I am more deeply engaging the text and vice-versa.

However, I also have a Kindle, and I enjoy the convenience of it. It's really just personal preference. I prefer physical books, but ebooks are great too.
>>
>>6480585
But their lives enslaved are that much more unbearable knowing their labor goes towards plebs who don't even have a halfway decent paperback collection
>>
Paperback for the classics.

Kindle for the indie shit and genre trash.
hoping Kloos wins a Hugo!
>>
>>6480586
They can be recycled, you retarded queer.
>>
File: Industry.gif (1 MB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
Industry.gif
1 MB, 360x270
>>6480564
>>6480585
>>6480590
>worrying about slave labour whilst living in the first world
Top kek.
>>
Why is everyone arguing that ebooks are unethical because of the precious metals and slave labor using computers to shitpost on the internet? Seems a bit hypocritical. Just mail everyone a letter.

Also:

>implying people who make books aren't slaves

>implying we all aren't slaves to capitalism
>>
>>6480601
>b-but how will peoplw know I read if they don't see the collection I have hoarded
Pathetic. Only plebs seek so desperately to be considered patrician.
>>
>>6480610
>slaves to capitalism
You can walk away whenever you like, anon. No one's stopping you.
>>
>>6480614
> christfags
>>
File: 1426893175210.png (29 KB, 218x172) Image search: [Google]
1426893175210.png
29 KB, 218x172
Oh, you like reading too? What’s that, a Kindle? I bet you’re a real bibliophile. I bet you spend minutes every day “reading” whatever YA trilogy was just recommended to you by Emily in Sales Planning. I bet your idea of purchasing art is picking up a copy of Water Lillies at Bed Bath & Beyond.

Let me make one thing abundantly clear. Unlike you, I do not love looking at digital words borrowed to me by Kommandant Bezos. I do not love ruthlessly gutting the innocent publishing industry in the name of bankrolling original online video content. And I do not love wrapping my hands around Harold Bloom’s neck, squeezing harder and harder until I can no longer hear his desperate cries for a literate, caring society. But you certainly don’t have to take his word for it, you fucking pleb.

So just go ahead and take that seat. Hunch over your little slab of plastic and engross yourself in the romantic foibles of teens doing battle in a dystopian society. I will stand tall with this hardback edition of Ulysses, my wrists straining and biceps trembling beneath a panoply of vaguely-linear subplots. I will turn each thick, rough-cut page with relish while you tap at your capacitive screen like a pigeon in a Skinner box.
>>
>>6480619
this is the most pretentious thing i have ever read
>>
>>6480626
"Reader" detected
>>
>>6480614

>No one's stopping you.

Except for the fact that if I were to quit my job, I'd lose my home and end up dying in the streets.
>>
>>6480610
So because of the fact that by proxy all of us are a little enslaved to capitalism, we should just give up the ghost and give up all of our ethics to it?
>>
File: 1382831302692.jpg (401 KB, 650x823) Image search: [Google]
1382831302692.jpg
401 KB, 650x823
>>6480619
>>
>>6480619
>not solely listening to orators
Fucking pleb
>>
>>6480630
What is welfare?
>>
>>6480630
You can't really expect to turn your back on society and still expect to reap all of the benefits of living in that society, can you?

As for dying on the streets, that sounds more like a failing on your behalf than a societal failing. Learn some survival skills, or quit bitching about your comfortable, easy capitalist life.
>>
>>6480633

I don't think we should give up our ethics but if you truly have a problem with how ereaders are produced you should probably get rid of your computer.
>>
>>6480527

Eyes must hurt as fuck after reeding some ebooks no ?
>>
to all the retards talking about chinese working conditions in tech factories. sweatshops are all they have, the alternative is literal Starvation and death. it's the natural progression from China's economic growth. they'll phase out into something better eventually

regardless who cares, I can fit trillions of books on my e-reader. a book isn't affectation unless you're really that insecure.

like holy shit just fucking read who gives a shit.
>>
>>6480649
No, why would you think that?
>>
>>6480649
ebooks use e-ink most of the time and aren't back-lit. if it was an LCD it can cause eye strain. I use tablets for PDFs and technical docs
>>
>>6480653
Most people don't realise that the screens on most ereaders aren't like their LED computer screens.
>>
>>6480651
>impoverished communities cannot survive without exploitative labour practices!
Stop perpetuating this shit.
>>
>>6480672
Status quo is the only conceivable thing anon.
>>
>>6480672
cry me a river nerd. if it weren't sweatshops they'd be dead. conditions are improving. you have to realize that even if they strike, there's another desperate Chinese person starving and will take the job. if you raise cost of production too much they will leave and these people will die
>>
>>6480680
> they will DIIIE!
Cry me a river nerd :^)
>>
>>6480680
Why didn't China die out completely before the industrial revolution?
>>
I prefer physical copies. I hold fast to the belief that there's something lost when the physical medium is taken away. The smell of a freshly printed book is addictive and I love the experience of going to a used book store. I also collect records though, so just disregard everything I say.
>>
WELL THIS THREAD ESCALATED QUICKLY
>>
>>6480610
a computer can't be replaced by a piece of paper
>>
>>6480755
Neither can an ereader
>>
You do realize that most quality literature doesn't have an ebook, yet. Most ebooks are shitty YA and the typical classics. Moreover poetry will never work as an ebook. There's no way they can convert mallarmés poems into a ePub file. So until books like Roberto Arlt's the seven madmen or Sabato's on heroes and tombs gets an ebook, I will stay with physics copies. Hell I doubt Apollinaire's love letters that I own will ever get an ebook anytime soon.
>>
>>6480831
>You do realize that most quality literature doesn't have an ebook, yet.
Is this 2009?
>>
>>6480831
>You do realize that most quality literature doesn't have an ebook

Like what?
>>
>>6480850
I have three examples, you retard.
>>
>>6480849
Find me most of Ionesco's plays on epub, find me all of Strindberg's plays in ePub, find me all of Arthur Schnitzler's works in ePub, find me Anna Édes by Deszo Kosztolanyi in ePub, find me William Carlos Williams white mule in ePub. What about the plays of Yeats? What about Arno Schmidt's works? What about Pessoa's philosophical essays of his work always astonished? What about pavese's works? Give me some epubs of Moravia's works.

Thanks in advance, faggot
>>
>>6480856
>Roberto Arlt's the seven madmen
Already an ebook out you silly boy.
>>
>>6480866
Why ePub? If they exist in other formats they can be converted to ePub easily. You're a retard. Simple as that.
>>
>>6480872
You're vapid and ignoring the point.
>>
ebook, because i can carry a gajillion of them in one convenient device
>>
>>6480866
The only person worth reading that you mentioned is Yeats.
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/author/1719
>>
>>6480875
Literally a pleb.
>>
File: ohboy.jpg (23 KB, 305x342) Image search: [Google]
ohboy.jpg
23 KB, 305x342
>>6480873
Vapid, how? You stupid cunt. They more than likely exist in another digital format therefore it is stupid to specify epub only and if they don't, they will do soon. I like paper as much as the next guy but don't pretend that there aren't several advantages to using an ebook reader. Again, You're a stupid cunt.
>>
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 452x456) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 452x456
>>6480879
I'm not the one who likes fucking Pessoa.
>>
>>6480883
Well if you actually knew who those authors were you would realize that they don't exist in other digital formats --(maybe PDF but I doubt you're retarded enough to argue that the conversion rate from PDF to ebook is goo) -- that work well on an ereader
>>
>>6480889
Embarrassing. You should stop posting. 2nd period should be breaking for lunch soon, huh, jimmy?
>>
>>6480527
Ebooks.

I use both. Ebooks are cheaper (free because I pirate all of them), printed books are nice because the shelves work as decoration and not all book are in ebook format.
>>
File: 1387763133261s.jpg (2 KB, 125x97) Image search: [Google]
1387763133261s.jpg
2 KB, 125x97
>>6480890
keep your precious obscure paper books and you're fedora too while you're at it you absolute faggot
>>
>>6480900
Is that you sitting on your couch realizing how basic you are?
>>
>>6480897
>if you don't like shit tier philosophy you're a kid
You're such a tryhard.
>>
>>6480866
>>6480831
>>6480903
i can't believe anyone would actually press submit on these posts, even anonymously. what would drive a human being to do such a thing?
>>
>>6480610
Even if they were slaves, their working conditions and pay is far superior than ones working in sweat-shops across Asia--so they are more ethical regardless.
>>
>>6480926
Cringe.
>>
>>6480866

>Ionesco

You make me horny anon.
>>
>>6480536
wow
>>
>>6480582
tree ain't worth slave man learn to morality
>>
>>6480534

>not deriving pleasure from material possessions
>>
Some books, or editions of books, are really nice to have, but personally I think ereaders are the most convenient reading can be. Lightweight, portable, can read in the dark, and has multiple books.
>>
>>6480527

ebooks are easier to steal.
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.